Contact | Tour
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thread: My chickens

Name
    Kate
    Thanks

My chickens

We just got our first chickens a few months ago! I'm from the city originally, but have always wanted to live in the country and have a small hobby farm. I was so excited to pick up some chickens and have our own eggs! We went to pick up 2 Silkie chicks from a lady and she was selling other chickens, so we ended up getting some poulets from her. Then hubby wanted a rooster, so we got a rooster a couple weeks ago. He's such a sweetheart. Then, just a few days ago I went out and got another Silkie. They are my favourite little chickens - not great for eggs, but so darn cute! The Silkies are Leonard and Penny (dark) and Bernadette (white). The rooster is Angus and the other chickens are Pixie, Phyllis and Doris.

Pixie

Leonard, 10 weeks

Doris

Penny, 10 weeks

Angus

Phyllis

Bernadette, 7 weeks old

Phoebe White Capped Pionus Luna PF Lovebird Indra PF Lovebird

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

Re: My chickens

They are all so cute!! I just love the Silkies.

Since you are in the country now hopefully you are keeping them in a safe chicken coop in the night time to keep them safe from wild animals. We have bears up here and sadly I have known lots of people who had chickens in coops and the bears got in and killed them all. One poor guy I know lost all of them and was so heartbroken he said he would never get chickens again unless he put a electric fence all the around the coop to keep them all safe at night.
    Fly Free Boomer, we will forever love you.

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,268 Times in 1,267 Posts

Oh My! The are just adorable! I've never heard of Silkiies! I grew up on a farm with chickens, ducks and geese. I remember a fox getting into the chicken house one time and killing some of them. We had White Rocks and Rhode Island Red chickens. Your flock is very "handsome/beautiful"!! And I LOVE all the names you chose for them!

Name
    Kate
    Thanks

They go back inside the coop on their own at about 8-8:30 (when the sun starts going down), then I just go out and lock them up. They have a lock on both ends of the coop, and then on their run. They go into the trees and bushes during the day, so they're safe from hawks, etc. And we have a pesky raccoon, but we're trying to relocate him. We have black bears around here, but they don't really go after chickens here (there's lots of corn, wheat, soy and other veggies in gardens to eat, as well as all their regulars). I'm a bit nervous still, so I'm always checking on them too. Haha.

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

I thought you might have bears around you up there. I do hope they wont decide to try to break into your coop because the man I know thought his chickens were safe locked into there coop too and sadly the bear was able to get the locked door off in one swipe of his paw. We have lots of companies around here that specialize in electric pads and wires to keep bears out of anything you don't want them to get into. It don't hurt the bears, it scares them and boy does it sure scare them enough to never come back.

Name
    Kate
    Thanks

I'm sure a bear could get into the coop here if he wanted to, but like I said, bears have a lot to eat around here that they don't go after chickens. Plus, they're right in the backyard, behind the house. I saw a bear in a corn field the other day. I felt bad for whomever's corn that was. Hah.

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

I love seeing the bears here but usually when we see them they are running away because they seen us first. I am sure you chickens will be safe because like you said if they have other foods to eat they wont go after the chickens.

Remove Ads