Tailfeathers
Contact | Tour
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thread: Anyone grow weird plants?

Aperture Test Subject Teenager shiney mew's Avatar
    Thanks

Anyone grow weird plants?

Common flowers and houseplants are beautiful, they really are. Plants in general are really so relaxing to be around. But my passion is for the more bizarre stuff, particularly cacti and carnivores. They're so cool and alien-looking and a lot of them are admirably resilient. True, carnivorous plants are much more high-maintenance than cacti because you can't let them dry out, and they do have special requirements as far as soil and water (no nutrients or minerals; their roots are very sensitive), but it's really not so bad.

Sometime next spring, you can go to Lowe's or whatever, pick up one of those $10 kits with the dormant pitcher and flytrap bulbs, plant them in long-fibered sphagnum moss, sit them outside, keep them watered with distilled water, and they will be so beautiful by the end of the summer. I got one of those kits earlier this year, and I accidentally let the flytrap dry out after it had started growing some real cute traps, but I still have the pitcher plant. When I got it, it looked like this

(they both came with that pot, but I put the flytrap in the styrofoam cup you see at the side)

and now it looks like this

Sometimes they'll sort of "choke" on a particularly large bug. But it just keeps growing more pitchers, and still uses the damaged ones for photosynthesis.

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,313 Times in 1,312 Posts

Re: Anyone grow weird plants?

They definitely are some unique and exotic looking plants! I LOVE plants, no matter what kind they might be! Thanks for sharing these pics with us.

Name
    Clive
    Thanks

I used to have plants!
    Now I have free ranging birds.
    And to them plants are objects for chewing.
    The last one I had was a Pitcher plant as well. I was so pleased that it was doing so well. Then Zinny decided it needed pruning. Throw that one out.
    I have some beautiful fragrant orchids, but never bring them into the house any more when in flower, due to bird strike.

I will see if I can dig out some photos.
    Nothing in flower right now, but I have two large Dendrobiums about to flower. And a pure white orchid I cannot think of it.s name.
    I am shocking with their names, but not too bad with their care.
    I even have two New Zealand native ones.
    Last edited by clawnz; 09-06-2013 at 08:34 PM.
    R.I.P my little ones.

Thanks

I'm trying to resist the urge to say 'pot', but since I'm not a stoner, I'd have no use for it I tried a venus fly trap once but it was tiny and died

Commission me! I paint custom pet portraits - PM me or send me a msg on facebook!
    https://www.facebook.com/CarolinaLangVisualArtist

Name
    Clive
    Thanks

Ho! Go On! Say it.
    I could start the ball rolling. Whacky Backy. Dope, Grass, Weed.
    I see there are a few places actually trying to figure out where to go legal on this.
    This world is a strange place?
    You can take legal drugs like coffee, alcohol, cigarettes, which are all very addictive and have bad side effects. Yet weed is a No. No.
    I would love to see it at least made legal for medical use. It does have some interesting relief effects on people with arthritis.
    And no side effects. Yet modern medicines are very destructive with nasty side effects. I know which I would prefer to take.
    But I maybe different to a lot of people as I firmly believe in holistic treatment over conventional doctor prescribed medications.

Anyway back on track: I found these pics of my Coelogyne Cristata Alba orchid.
    As you can see it is a pure white. I grew this from a cutting of only a few back bulbs.

It left my care for a few months and got badly damaged. So it will need a few more years to fully recover.
    Thankfully it is back in my care. It has just started to open, but it has taken some storm damage.
    R.I.P my little ones.

Thanks

i think the most odd plant i have is dragon fruit plant i can show you what it will look like when grown but it will take years for it to get to a mature plant one pic is what it looks like when it blooms the other is when the blooms die and turns into the fruit

Name
    Derek
    Thanks

Yes, plants can grow inside human bodies. Here's what happened about 4 years back. And it's just one of such many instances where plants have been found growing in human bodies. A 75-year-old man from Massachusetts, Ron Sveden had been experiencing short breath for a couple of months.

Name
    Derek
    Thanks

I check the best gardening articles and new product reviews my favorite blog. This site helps me to grow in gardening! Go ahead and read too!