Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Help! Cockatiel laid first egg

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Linda
    Thanks

Re: Help! Cockatiel laid first egg

When feeding them the boiled egg - do I chop it up or lay a slice of it in there? Also, when would I take it out as they probably won't eat it all and I wouldn't want it to get rancid.

Thanks for telling me about the lettuce. I'll get the right kind tomorrow.

Also regarding whole wheat bread - do you just put it straight from the bag in there or would it be better to toast it a bit to make crumbs?
    Last edited by Angeldove; 11-17-2013 at 08:04 PM.

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,295 Times in 1,294 Posts

You can do whatever you like with the egg. Experiment. If they would pick off the slice of an egg that is great. I would feed the egg first thing in the morning, so you can be there to take the egg out after a couple of hours. I presume you are home during the day. If not, then feed it anytime when you will be able to take out what they didn't eat. Start with a slice if you would like to. See what they do with it. You can feed the bread either toasted or straight from the loaf. I have fed it both ways. My birds love toast as well as plain whole wheat bread. My birds will just pick the soft bread right off the piece I give them and eat it. I stick the bread between the cage bars above their seed cup. Try different ways and different foods for them. The more they eat, the healthier they will be. Cooked sweet potatoes also would be a great food for them. I would serve it on the plate and just put a few pieces of it on the plate first, and see if they will go for it.

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

Congrats on the new egg and how exciting if it does end up being fertile.

I use to shred the boiled egg up with a cheese grater and my lovie loved it that way. I wouldn't leave it in the cage longer then I would say a hour at the most, less might even be better. Personally I would just give them half of the egg and save the other half in the refrigerator wrapped up so you can serve them it later in the day. The only time I gave bread to my lovie was when he stole a bite off my toast and he ate it right up. Ellen gives her birds bread all the time so she will let you know how she serves it.
    Fly Free Boomer, we will forever love you.

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Linda
    Thanks

Thank you both!

Still no new egg. And they're being "frisky" again - in the nesting box!

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Linda
    Thanks

Egg #2 arrived in the night/early morning and she is sitting on them. I thought at first she was only sitting on one, but I think it might have rolled out and now she's sitting on both of them!

Deed-Do it appears has been run out of the box for now. He peeks in whenever he can, but she quickly lets him know not to interfere.

The egg shell that I boiled and crushed - there are still some of those pieces from yesterday in the cage. Are those alright to leave in there?

And will she come out to eat?

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks

OH..what great news! She is definitely into "nesting", now that #2 is here! Yes, it appears she is determined, and he most likely will be spending more time outside the nest. Too cute! If he will let you, it is a good time for you to bond with him, so when and if the eggs hatch, they both will welcome you to observe the box. A little out of cage time will be good for him. Of course their is a slight chance she will decide she wants out as well, because being a "pair" now, one will watch the other carefully. You can make that call. If the two of them are doing fine in cage, then leave it that way. The process is about 18 days, before hatching, and that isn't a long time for them to not have exercise. It could be a little longer than 18 days if their are more fertile eggs in their frisk sessions. Do watch the box and nest carefully, now and when the eggs hatch, but yet let them do all the work. Unless it is absolutely necessary, I am a firm believer in letting the parronts feed the chicks. I like to think of the concept of birds feeding their own babies like mothers nurse their babies. The enzymes and other nutrients in the food they will regurgitate (store in their craw and feed the babies), cannot compare to powdered formula that some use for handfeeding. That is not to say the powdered formula is not good. It in fact is very good as needed, but I still believe in the parronts doing all the feeding is best, if possible. When they get a little bigger you still can do what they say "hand raise" and "socialize them", holding them and teaching them about human hands and trust, so that when they do fledge (learn to fly) they will be tame and you can interact with them as well.

The egg shells will be o.k. in the food cup because they were boiled, and no bacteria should be present on them. Only if for some reason they may have pooped in the food cup, which normally doesn't happen, would you need to boil another egg and crush the shells. Deanna gave you great advice to just use 1/2 egg at a time. I'm not sure if they will eat cold egg, so you might have to let it come to room temp.

Yes, she will come out to eat and poop. Generally, tiel hens don't poop in the nest box. She will need the food and the water. She will do this at various times in the day, she could even do it at night, so in the daytime when you see her out, that is your chance to get her some fresh veggies and the other foods I mentioned. Deanna wrote she only left fresh foods in the cage for an hour. I think that might even be a better idea than the two hours, especially since you are in a warmer climate.

The process is taking shape nicely now. It is quite a journey, for sure, and I know you are loving every minute of it.
    Last edited by maxollie; 11-18-2013 at 11:04 AM.

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

Yeah on the second egg!! Hopefully they both will hatch and you will be having little babies soon. I don't know anything about babies so I will let Ellen and others give you advice about what to do.

I always was extra careful when it came to leaving fresh food in the cage because to me it is just better than worrying that the food may spoil. I served the egg cold right out of the refrigerator but if yours don't like them cold then like Ellen said let it sit out to warm up before serving it to them. You can also try feeding them sprouts, here is a post giving you instructions on how to do them, http://www.tailfeathersnetwork.com/c...Easy-Sprouting. If they never had sprouts before my best advice is to dry them really well before giving them to the birds and hopefully they will love them because they are much better than seeds for them. The first time I ever sprouted seeds I just used some of some of the seed mix I had here and just picked out the fruits and vegetables that were in the mix. I soaked them overnight and then started to serve tiny bites of them until they were about two days old and then threw what was left away. The ultimate time to serve sprouts is right when they grow a tiny tail on them and then after that I think the nutrition value starts to drop on them.
    Fly Free Boomer, we will forever love you.

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Linda
    Thanks

Even though Layla is sitting on the eggs, at rare times - she comes out and gets on the perch for a little bit and seems to rest. Sometimes the eggs are left unattended while at other times, Deed-Do goes in the box.

I've also noticed that sometimes she is only sitting on one egg. Does that mean anything or has one of them just got out from under her?

They will not egg the soft parts of the egg - only the egg shells.

I'm also having trouble offering them the broccoli since I can't leave it there long. I never know when she is going to come out to feed and if she is out and I try to open the door to put the broccoli in, she runs back in the box and stays for hours.

I've crumbled up some whole wheat toast on a paper towel and put a piece through the bars of the cage. Can that stay that way until in the morning?

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks

The toast isn't going to be a problem as far as leaving it in the cage. Just watch for any of the crumbs that end up on the cage floor, and to change the paper if you see any poop close by or in those crumbs.

I wouldn't worry alot about the broccoli. Granted, the fresh veggies are good for them, but, the egg shells have great calcium content and they are eating them. It is not unusual they don't care for the egg itself. Since your birds have not been used to alot of those types of foods it is only natural they are not interested in them right now. The only reason we speak of not leaving fresh veggies in the cage for too long is because of the fact they are a raw product. Bread is baked, so as long as it is fresh bread, it isn't considered to be a food that can go rancid. I feed fresh bread and not day old or older bread to my birds.

It is normal that sometimes an egg will pop out from under the hen and she will leave it for awhile. The natural instinct is for the hen to roll those eggs and turn them over so that each part of the egg is kept warm. I'm sure she won't leave any of the eggs out for long.

What brand of seed do you feed? If you look at the ingredients I suspect it has vitamins, etc. in it. As I had written above, if you are just feeding seeds, a couple of drops of birdy vitamins about once a week or 10 days would be good as well, dropped in their food cup.

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Linda
    Thanks

Egg #3 came in early this morning, right on time!

Layla seems content sitting on the nest and doesn't get agitated if we walk up to the cage. But, when it is Deed-Do's time in the box . . . he is like a possessive wild thing! LOL! But, when he is not in the box - he is ready to come out and be loved for a little bit.

They seem to be eating only the parakeet seed and some of the cockatiel seed and eating the egg shells. Nothing else seems to appeal to them. I guess we'll go with the added vitamins. A question though regarding this. I understand how that works if you put the drops in the water bowl as it is diluted I would suspect pretty evenly. But, if you drop it in the seeds, it looks like just a few seeds would get the vitamins and no telling who might eat those seeds and the other one possibly not get any. Would it be alright to put them in the water? Of course with it being changed every day, I'm sure we'll need to add it back each time with the fresh water.

Also another thing I have noticed. The schedule seems to be that she lays the egg and sits on it for quite awhile, then later that day she comes out and eventually she ends up at the water dish. She then steps into the water dish and starts calling Deed-Do and he quickly comes and they get frisky again! She has always loved to get in the water dish and bath, so now I guess she looks at it as her "hot tub" for romance!

The brand of seed is Forti-Diet by Kaytee. It says it is nutritionally fortified. I looked on the ingredients list and it does have quite a few vitamins, etc.
    Last edited by Angeldove; 11-20-2013 at 09:08 PM.

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks

It is your choice whether to put the vitamins in the water or seed. As long as you change the water frequently they should be o.k. I always write that in my posts simply because some folks don't change water as often as others and they can get sick from rancid water. Since she is a "hot tub diva" anyway she has no problem having fun and/or drinking and bathing. That is good! It sure helps the worry of a hen becoming egg bound because the water always helps that problem from surfacing.

When a hen is laying eggs she will take in more water, and her poops will be more lose and runny. She also will probably poop more than usual. The egg laying process requires lots of water to form the egg, the shell and to be able to push the egg out. She is doing fine at this point. Her first three eggs ever laid have popped out with no problem. And she is acting normal as any hen would be during this journey. It is good that she is allowing you close by the box, and it is normal that she would chase him out. It is good that he is coming out and keeping his bond with you. When the eggs hatch, it will be much better that way, because they both will let you interact with them and the babies as they get bigger. And believe me, they are small when hatched, but grow very fast. You read the thread about Rocky. That picture of Rocky is 32 days old. And he was very small when he hatched, as you saw in the video!

I wouldn't worry about the fresh veggies, etc. As long as the seed sack lists good nutrients, and they are eating the egg shells, the mineral block and cuttle bone, you have a great chance for success of the eggs hatching.

You are not any different than many people who have tiels in their home. When I first homed tiels about 11 years ago, I had no idea that you could feed them fresh veggies and other foods. Only after I began visiting the forums did I see all the different foods they can eat, and also I visited Cockatiel Cottage on-line. It takes time and patience to introduce new foods to tiels. You can still try offering some of the foods we spoke about. You never know, maybe one day they might decide to try it. And after this clutch has hatched, (or some or all of the eggs hatch), you can still encourage them to eat other foods, because they will be feeding the chicks and might just decide to try them. Thanks for the update! All seems to be going well for you! That is great news!

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Linda
    Thanks

Thanks for all your help!

I have another question this time about sunlight. Their cage sits close to a window where they can see out, however I do have it covered a lot right now due to her sitting on the eggs. The sun doesn't directly shine on them as there is a porch shading the front. Is it okay for them to have that kind of sunlight or does it need to actually be shining directly on them?

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Linda
    Thanks

Disregard - my computer hiccuped! LOL!
    Last edited by Angeldove; 11-21-2013 at 09:39 PM. Reason: Double post

Name
    Clive
    Thanks

When sitting on the nest they do not need any light.
    But if you are asking if they need direct sunlight you are talking about for Vitamin D.
    Any glass blocks most UVB and this brings up the question of where this is good enough or not.

Sunlight should be direct for at least a small period of the day. This is what is claimed and to some point I agree.
    But there are a huge number of variables involved here! Like where abouts you live in the world. As this will make a difference to the strength of that sunlight.

My own thoughts (I Live in New Zealand) is that where my birds are behind glass, they do still get a a good amount of exposure to fairly strong sunlight for most of the day. But this is not direct sunlight. The 20% UVB that gets in seems to be enough to keep them healthy.
    Again you do need to consider diet and Vitamin D6 as well as D3. That's if I have this right?

Conclusion in my opinion:
    If they are getting good light and the diet is good, then I would not be worrying too much.
    I have not read all the posts.
    But think a higher % soft foods for when the babies are hatched.
    I'm sure Maxollie or Deanna have already said a bit on foods.
    Sprouts are a most excellent food.

Quickly I spotted a couple comments.
    If you feed them a decent diet you will not need man made supplements, and I am not into putting anything in their drinking water. As it will turn the water off very quickly.
    If adding things. Put it in the food.
    If having trouble getting them to eat somethings, you can try making Birdy Bread, Birdy mash, Birdy nuggets. Any one of these may help you introduce new foods to them.
    Cuttlebone can be ground to a fine powder and sprinkled over whatever they do eat.
    R.I.P my little ones.

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Linda
    Thanks

Thanks for the reply. They just won't eat anything except their seeds, parakeet seeds and millet. They have their mineral block and cuttlebone, but haven't touched the cuttlebone yet.

I'm thinking maybe I should move the cage to another room with a window not obscured by the porch. That would give them more light. What do you think? Or would this interrupt her nesting at this time?

Also, we did not get the next egg - could she be through with only 3 eggs?

I also noticed there is a little smudge (I'm thinking it's birdie poo) on one of the eggs. Should I take a damp paper towel and try to wipe it off or leave it alone?

Sorry for all the questions, but this is all new to me!