Contact | Tour
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thread: Upset and Concerned

Name
    Adam
    Thanks

Unhappy Upset and Concerned

First I would like to say i haven't been on in a while but I'm sure people remember me and the birds

Gizmo my Meyers I'm sure you remember that we were inseparable I wouldn't go anywhere without me and he always wanted to be with me.. He learned all of his tricks from me.. And we have been like best friends since he came home.

As of Friday not he same... One second he was sitting on my lap and the next second he was flying away so I didn't really think about it so I went to pick him up a little while later and he got this look of fear ( like he never seen me before and I was trying to kill him ) I brushed it off because I thought I spooked him or something. I went to get him and put him to bed but he got the same look and flew as fast as he could away and uncontrollably he flew into the wall and stuff just to get away.

He's been doing the same thing for the past three days now..

Like I use to walk into the room and he would bee there on my shoulder as soon as I walk into the room and now it's fly away and far away.p. He always has his eye on me to make sure I won't come anywhere near him

I don't know what I did or why he is like this but it makes me really upset.. Has anyone ever experienced this? Or knows what to do

it upsets me because he will go right to my girlfriend no problem steps up and cuddles and falls asleep on her but with me he won't come near Me now

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

Re: Upset and Concerned

I have no clue what would make him afraid of you all the sudden because I do know how much he loved you. Did you cut your hair or do anything to yourself recently? Or accidently scare him? I find it very odd that he all the sudden is afraid of you. The only good thing about it is that he still lets your girlfriend pick him up and cuddle with him and hopefully soon he will become your buddy again.
    Fly Free Boomer, we will forever love you.

Name
    Clive
    Thanks

I am going to say Hormonal. And he has taken your lady as his mate.
    If it is only hormonal it may pass in time.
    If he is decided that he is protecting your lady then you will need to work to change things around.
    You can try role reversal.
    Try not to upset Gizmo too much. You may want to see if going back to basic training while in the cage will help.
    I am a little shocked that he fly away in such a panic he flew into the wall!

Barbara Heidenreich has spoken about this sort of thing and it is fairly common. but I am not sure I have a link for you? Sorry had a quick look. No luck.
    R.I.P my little ones.

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,259 Times in 1,258 Posts

Has your girlfriend been coming to your home for quite a long time, or is it just recently that she began visiting? I ask that question because sometimes a new person in the home, or visiting in the home will trigger hormonal changes in birds. I have to agree with Clive about him being hormonal, because I have read that birds that get hormonal can do so just like turning a light switch off and on! They can be fine one day and the next day have similar behavior to Gizzmo. Is there any chance that Gizzmo has had another bad experience with your other bird lately? Did the other bird pick on Gizzmo again? These are all thoughts to ponder. I know how it hurts your heart now that he doesn't want anything to do with you. Don't lose heart. If it is a hormonal issue, it will last for awhile, but coming out of hormonal is about like going into it. One day, he will wake up, and be the Gizzmo you always knew.

Do you know of him having any night frights that you may not have heard while you were sleeping? It could be he had a night fright, ans simply got scared in his cage, and consequently he is scared of you. Please keep us posted on Gizzmo. I hope he will soon be back to being his old self soon!

Name
    Adam
    Thanks

I don't think it's hormonal he is only a year old. I don't know :/ it's bugging me I didn't do anything to him it was random :/

Name
    Adam
    Thanks

I forgot to say that we live together so it's nothing new he has been around us for a whole year now .. Also Alex and him have gotten better they are like best friends and Alex controls his outburst a lot better instead of attacking gizmo he just walks away..

But recently because of the cold wether we moved Alex and gizmo into the bird room and then had to move them out because gizmo and Tarzan would fight really bad but is was fine for the week and a half after moving out of there.. He was only in there when we weren't home! Or at night time other than that he was with us at home

I did notice he only attack Tarzan when Alex was in there when Alex wasn't in the room gizmo would cuddle with Tarzan.

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks

It sounds to me like Gizzmo definitely is getting into being hormonal. Being a year old now, that would be about the time it starts. Also, it sounds to be like Gizzmo likes Tarzan, and naturally, will be rather unsure of Alex, because of them scrapping and fighting before. Have you had your birds DNA sexed, and are sure that Gizzmo is a boy? Is Tarzan a boy or a girl or do you know? This whole situation could be because of the sex of the birds. Maybe Gizzmo is wanting a relationship with Tarzan.

And also, it could be Gizzmo still carries some of those fights he had with Alex in his mind and heart, and he may always be in a "defensive" mode for different situations that come up in his life.

Name
    Adam
    Thanks

No? They hit puberty at three not one it can't be it and he defends Alex when Tarzan comes around.! He's slowly starting to warm up to me he flew over to me on my shoulder earlier it just upsets me cuz we were best friends

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks

I stand corrected. I thought all parrots reached puberty at about a year old. I have a cockatiel and a budgie, and I know they begin their puberty at about a year. I'm happy to hear he is warming up to you again. I feel confident you and Gizzmo will still be best friends and he will get back to his old self again!

Name
    Adam
    Thanks

We had a huge fall out yesterday and now his wings are cut completly it's better for him so he don't hurt himself... He is scared of me till he comes to me then he is calm and let's me touch him and he sleeps on me and everything.. He will let me touch him but before I get to him he crys out and cringes up then he lets me pet him and everything I don't understand it

Name
    Clive
    Thanks

How about flock/flight dynamics being changed around throwing off balance, Gizmo?
    Every time things change it can take them time to adjust.

Sorry I did not understand that you have more than one bird.
    And I do not know anything about Meyers at all.
    As you know about when they reach hormonal age it will not be that.

At least it seems Gizmo is coming around and that has to be good news.
    R.I.P my little ones.

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks

I am wondering if he had a "night fright" at night while you were sleeping, or maybe even a frightening "dream". I do know that all birds have super intelligence, and they remember everything that has happened to them from hatching. But I don't know if they dream about it. It really is puzzling, for sure!

Name
    Adam
    Thanks

I don't think it's the change because he was always in there constantly I. Thinking it might have been a bad dream cuz he was sleeping on my lap and then he woke up and freaked out I think that might be it now he thinks of that when he sees me :/

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks

I have found that the "bird world" is very, very intriguing. I believe that the Universe/God/Spirit created birds and other creatures to be very, very intelligent. In observing my tiels and budgies for many years, I have no doubt that even though they do not have human brains, they definitely have an intuition/intelligence to mimic our brains in may ways. And I do believe birds dream, because I've had cockatiels talk and whistle in their sleep. Hopefully, that "memory" will fade for Gizzmo, and soon he will be back to his old self again.

Remove Ads