Tailfeathers
Contact | Tour
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thread: Are my canaries in breeding condition?

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Manuel
    Thanks

Are my canaries in breeding condition?

Are my canaries in breeding condition? They kiss each other a lot and my hen goes to sleep in her nest at night all the time. Last year my hen would always fight with my male canary but now she kisses him. I haven't seen the male mate with the hen. I'm not sure if he's ready. What are some tips to get him ready?

Baby
    Name
    Rudi
    Thanks

Re: Are my canaries in breeding condition?

Manuel, the male will be the one who comes into breeding condition first. Lighting should be around 12.5 to 13 hours. He will then begin singing hard which will assist in bringing her into condition. He will become very vocal and she will begin getting flighty. Stick some toilet paper, shreded in the cage. They will play with it and begin moving it around. Again he will become ready before her so watch them, he can get aggresive and she if not ready can get hurt. If hse is not ready and he is aggresive he may mate with her but the eggs will be infertile because she just isnt there yet. If they are feeding each other and kissing as you stated this is good and he may respect her. This means he still needs 13 hours and needs to be singing hard for her. She will begin to flit around and soon will go to nest, head down, rear up, wings out saying come on I'm ready. Again they both need the lighting at about 13 hours, 14 is great. Remeber everything before. Most will do everything on their own, but she needs calcium, and he needs to be ready. Go on line and look up canary hens breeding patch. A hen is ready when her breeding patch is apparent. It is on her stomach and what she will use to incubate the eggs. If she does not have one she is not ready.

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,341 Times in 1,340 Posts

Thank you, Rudi for providing this information about canary breeding. It is great education for me. Even though I have never owned a canary, I am always interested in bird behavior.

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Manuel
    Thanks

I give them 13 hours and 10 minutes, is that okay? Well actually he just started singing last weekend and he does it each time the hen goes into her nest (around 5,6, or 7 back then she would go into her nest at 7 now she started going in there at 6. Could this mean she is tired?) when she goes into her nest the male will sing short soft songs until I cover them. He sings for a long time and now that you stated that he begins to sing to get her into condition. Could this be it? She gets out of her nest to eat and then he stops singing until she goes back to her nest.

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Manuel
    Thanks

Well actually today he stopped singing when she got off of her nest and then she ate and then she went back on, he didn't sing anymore. The past 4 days he would sing.

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Manuel
    Thanks

If you understood that lol. Today he was singing softly right after I got home from school also.

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Manuel
    Thanks

Sorry for all of these messages but do you remember last time you told me that I should put wheat germ in the birds seeds. I've been doing that and I get scared each time. I always wonder did I put enough? Did I put too much? How much should I put? They have two seed cups. So should I put the same amount in each one or just in one? Also how many times should I put wheat germ in their cups every week?

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks

Hi, Manuel. Well, I have to say, after Rudi posted about the wheat germ on that other thread, perhaps you better lay off the wheat germ. That thread was about the white flakes or down you saw on your canaries, I responded by having you give them some wheat germ oil, and then Rudi did provide some great information about the fact that both wheat germ oil and Vitamin E, can make them more hormonal. This also was the thread where he suggested listerine for the mites and/or lice and some other stuff that he uses. I do think he is credible, and has lots of experience with canaries. He also wrote in that thread about some guy mixing way too much wheat germ with a huge amount of seed that he fed his birds and they died. Of course, he was talking about I think a gallon bucket of seed, and I'm not sure what amount of oil he put in it, but we certainly don't want anything to happen to your two canaries. So, in my view, for now, discontinue the wheat germ. (read his post and you will understand better why I say that).

I always listen to any person like Rudi, who has tons of experience with a particular species, because they have had hands on experience for years and years, and know exactly what to do in the case of so many different problems.

I'm glad you brought up the wheat germ question. I think for now it is best to discontinue it.

It sounds like they are beginning to condition for the mating and egg laying. Rudi provided good information about that as well. Please keep us posted as to how things are going with them, and do read that information Rudi provided us.

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Manuel
    Thanks

Hello Ellen! now that you tell me that I will discontinue it. I will go and read those threads. Yes, I will keep you guys updated

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Manuel
    Thanks

Ok so my hen keeps sitting inside the seed cups. Why does she keep doing that? It bothers me because she'll "go to the bathroom" in the cups and it will get all over the seeds. I've read that it's something to do with breeding and nests?

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Manuel
    Thanks

So I did as Rudi said and I put shredded toilet paper in the cage yesterday and today some of it is gone. I've seen them take it to the perches and they'll play with it or bite it. Are they eating it? Some of it is gone and it's not on the floor.

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks

See if you can private message Rudi, and see if he would have an answer for you. I'm sorry, but I don't have any experience with canaries breeding, so I really can't answer your question. I'm sure Rudi would be able to give you his thoughts, or you could post your question on the thread about the mites/lice. I'm sure he will see it and answer you.