Leilani
    Stardust

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,297 Times in 1,296 Posts

Re: Surprise

Awww! You sure did get some unique mutations this round. They are soooooooo precious. The parents sure did step up to the plate this time to take care of them, and you did a great job as well. If you are interested in mutations surf over to "Budgie Place", and you will find lots of pictures of different mutations. Perhaps you can decide for yourself what you might have there. Thanks for the update, Zahra! Congrats!

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

They are adorable! I am in love with the white one, it will look just like a angel... especially when it flies.
    Fly Free Boomer, we will forever love you.

Teenager
    Name
    Bill
    Thanks

They are a pair of cute birds. One is white, the other green. Even though they are very young, the colors are already showing well. Great age to have pets. They get to know you and together both will have many good years together.

Name
    zahra
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Tohru1529 View Post
    aww so cute
    Thank you Amy

Name
    zahra
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by maxollie View Post
    Awww! You sure did get some unique mutations this round. They are soooooooo precious. The parents sure did step up to the plate this time to take care of them, and you did a great job as well. If you are interested in mutations surf over to "Budgie Place", and you will find lots of pictures of different mutations. Perhaps you can decide for yourself what you might have there. Thanks for the update, Zahra! Congrats!
    Thanks Ellen, they are so cute and precious

Name
    zahra
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by boomer girl View Post
    They are adorable! I am in love with the white one, it will look just like a angel... especially when it flies.
    they are beautiful and I love them both and the white one is adorable and he was a real surprise

Name
    zahra
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Birdmanca View Post
    They are a pair of cute birds. One is white, the other green. Even though they are very young, the colors are already showing well. Great age to have pets. They get to know you and together both will have many good years together.
    the older one is almost a month of age and the white is cuple of days younger

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks

Those first few days and hours are pretty worrisome, but look how fast they grow up! You had the perfect pair to get those unique mutations. Does the white one have red eyes, or dark ruby colored eyes. If so, then I would consider that one to be a white albino (if red eyes). It doesn't look to me like there are any other feathers but white ones on that little baby! I'll bet you want to hold them and give them lots of love all the time! I know I would!

Name
    zahra
    Thanks

I think he is a white albino his eyes is definitely not black mostly dark red and it amaze me everytime I look at him and his brother. the green one is gorgeous with a special character once out of the box he run in any direction searching for warm spot to snuggle in and when on my hands he tries to jump and fly away he remind me of the first mate SemSem had; she was green but this one here is olive green...it is a bless to have them.

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks

Awww! Now I understand why there is "olive" color in the feathering of that new baby, because of her mommy! For me it was like an obsession with my breeding, even though I only tried it once. Your heart just gets into the entire process with a passion, and then the babies just make you want to try it again to see what mutations you will get. Each time one gains experience. This one for you was a great experience for sure!

Name
    zahra
    Thanks

Actually, I don't want to breed Semsem and Meshmesh for a while; but I don't know how to do that.
    just keeping the three new members till I can figure how to treat an expanded family of them
    can you help me in that!!!!

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks

My opinion is you can boil the eggs that she lays and give them back to her. When you boil them, just boil them long enough so you are sure they are hard boiled. They are quite small, so I would say maybe 8-10 minutes would be plenty of time. I would bring them to a boil, and then turn down the heat so they don't break while they are cooking. When you give them back to her, try to put them where they were when you took them as best you can. She will set on them like she did her other eggs, but at some point, she will know they will not hatch and she will abandon them. This is the best way in my view to handle the situation, because if you take any eggs she lays and throw them out, her "natural instinct" will just cause her to lay another clutch of eggs.

Or: You can get some "dummy budgie eggs". You can get them on-line, or in the pet shops (sometimes). Then for every egg she lays, you replace it with a dummy egg. And the same thing would happen, she would set on them until she realizes they won't hatch and then abandon them. I've done that with a cockatiel hen, and it is amazing how similar the dummy eggs are, both in color and in shape, to the real eggs.

They most probably will continue mating, and it would be hard to keep them from it because they fly free. And even if they were in separate cages, I think they would put up a fuss to be together because they are definitely bonded now. I would be sure to give them plenty of the cuttlebone, fresh veggies, good seed, and even boil a chicken egg now and then, and take the egg shells and crush them finely and put some in their seed cup. You can also feed them some of the boiled egg both white yolk and the white, because it is good protein for them. Mix it in with the veggies you give them, or other foods, separate from the seeds. Otherwise, you will have to replace the seed in the cup in about 2 hours, because the egg could go rancid and cause them to get sick. That's why putting the egg in a separate food cup or even on a plate on the cage floor is best. You won't waste the seed then. I may have shared this information with you earlier, The hen needs the calcium to keep her healthy now that she is mating and laying (I'm sure you know that). Maybe you will get lucky and she won't lay for a few months. That would be a benefit to both of you.
    Last edited by maxollie; 02-08-2014 at 05:16 PM.

Name
    zahra
    Thanks

That was very helpful in the matter and enlightening and yes you have told me that before an I keep them on seeds, squid and lettuce; is that enough and should I add some vitamins in their water too ?