Tailfeathers
Contact | Tour
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First chick hatched

Thanks

Arrow First chick hatched

First chick has hatched from light green spangle (m) x yf1 sky-opaline hen. No clue what it'll be yet, only hatched today, but I've put my first pair (mauve-dil.greywing [m] x creamino [f]) down again as I've fostered their eggs to other pairs to hatch since they only had 2 fertile ones. They're taking a break at the moment, but should be in the box again in a week or two.

Pics up for the next nest check - things will be getting exciting now!

Commission me! I paint custom pet portraits - PM me or send me a msg on facebook!
    https://www.facebook.com/CarolinaLangVisualArtist

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

Re: First chick hatched

Congrats on the new babies! Hopefully lots more will be coming soon.
    Fly Free Boomer, we will forever love you.

Name
    zahra
    Thanks

congrats on the new baby and wish that other will follow him soon

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,246 Times in 1,245 Posts

Congrats, Carolina! I'll be "patiently" waiting to see pics!

Thanks

I now have a total of 7 budgie chicks and 2 cockatiel chicks, with the diamond doves going back down again, as well as the zebra finches. I think the pigeons (housed with all doves and finches) may be looking at breeding. I have 4 other budgie pairs just starting with eggs now. Finally breeding is going to plan!

The oldest clutch looks like 3 yellow series and 1 white series judging by wing and tail feathers - I think the blue may be a spangle. There's also a spangle in the 2nd youngest clutch as I can see the two clear pin tail feathers emerging, and the father is a spangle (dominant). Neat!

Commission me! I paint custom pet portraits - PM me or send me a msg on facebook!

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks

Congratulations, Carolina! That is awesome news! Can't wait to see pics of all of them, most likely when they fledge! I also am excited to see the new spangle. You have to be having a "glorious" time seeing all of those babies hatch and the feathering starting. I would be over the moon if I could have a set up like you, for sure!

Thanks

Currently handraising two of the chicks - a dark green spangle and a blue greywing (can't tell if cobalt or sf violet yet). Some pics:

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks

Oh, Carolina, I LOVE the pics. They all are gorgeous!! You sure did yourself proud with those mutations. Thanks for sharing the pics with us.

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

Oh my goodness they are such cute fat little babies! They are going to be gorgeous when they get fully feathered. Sounds like all your birds are getting "busy" these days and you are going to be one busy girl making sure they are all doing a good job with the babies.

Thanks

Digger -he'll be a personal pet. Named for obvious reasons..

Two female chicks - a Lutino and a clearwing opaline sky - not from the same clutch but semi-handraising.

Will put a pic up of the rest of Digger's nestmates tomorrow - two spangles (one split opaline), and one normal. Yet to see if he/ she is olive or yellowface.

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

Love that Digger likes to dig! My lovebird use to love to dig around in things as well and would just go crazy when he found something he could actually dig and crawl under.

Your pictures are always amazing pictures! You really do have a eye when it comes to taking some great pictures and the first one of the two females is a amazing picture. Your babies are all too cute and you must be one happy girl able to watch all of them growing up.

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks

They are amazing! Your talent shines through in mating the parents of all of these gorgeous babies. I remember one of my babies that hatched years ago being a "Digger" as well. They look very healthy and happy, Carolina! Keep those pics coming to us!

Thanks

I also have (photos pending)
    - two x clearflight dom pieds - yet to see if they're opalines like their mum or not - one yellowface blue from the looks of it, one green I THINK (very early on) - unsexed
    - two Lutinos (girls definitely - neither of the parents are inos, but the father's mother is a goldenface albino (commonly known as creamino) - so he's passed those genes on to his daughters (who have taken the yellow-based gene from their mother, hence 'lutinos and not albinos!)
    - One yellowface dark blue or olive green (too early to tell, but if green definitely split blue - has that bluish tinge under the vent, tell tale sign)
    - One dark green spangle.

I'm inclined to think the genders are thus:

Raz - green spangle split opaline - cock, I think
    Digger - uncertain, but maybe female as the mother isn't a clearwing? Unless her ino is masking it, but I don't think that's likely - so maybe a hen? Certainly acts like a cock but we'll see.

Spangle split opaline - brother to Raz - cock - has some opalescence on the wings like his dad (whereas Raz is 'pure' spangle)
    Normal y/f blue <OR> olive split blue - unsure - behaves like a hen though. Def has his/her mother's short fuse!
    Both lutinos - female - genetics of ino gene explains this one no probs

The Australian dom. clearflight pieds - unsexed as of yet - we'll see if they turn out opalines or not! Otherwise will have to wait for their ceres to colour up properly.

One extra chick has again hatched from Digger's parents [goldenface albino hen and mauve clearwing (decided he's not a greywing, just a SUPER muddy-marked clearwing - must be a first gen cross, I know they get dirty markings) - can't wait to see what it is!

I have a fertile egg from a whole new pair too - mauve-grey male and a yellowface 1 violet DF female - I wonder what splits the male hides! Male budgies are so much fun to experiment with diff partners.

On a side note - unfortunately the youngest lutino chick has badly deformed legs. Given she's so young, she was probably sat on by the other chicks. I have taped her legs up gently using masking tape in the correct position as per procedure, hoping they grow more in the right direction (one looked dislocated - no swelling / tenderness, no discolouration, looks normal, just bent out backwards). It must have happened recently as I didn't notice it on my last nest inspection. Fortunately the tape is holding her legs there without too much discomfort on her part - she didn't seem to mind. Hopefully the hen doesn't remove the tape..

Pics soon!

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks

What a line-up of mutations you already have. Wow! Amazing for just beginning your venture with breeding them. Yes, I would say there were probably too many chicks in the nest and that little Lutino ended up with the deformed legs. Every once in awhile splayed legs are discussed here on the forum. I think if you search "splayed legs", you might be able to read some of those posts. Not too long ago there was someone who used some pieces of leather. That thread should be available to you.

Will be looking for the pics (of course)!!

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

I am sorry to hear about the one with bad legs and I too hope the taping holds them in the right place so they will grow out and she will be able to use them. I am sure you know what to do with Splay legs so hopefully it will get better with your help.

Remove Ads