where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thread: lorikeet

Brand New Egg
    Name
    chelsea
    Thanks

lorikeet

I've been looking into getting a rainbow lorikeet for years but now I'm finally seriously looking. Aside from runny poop and nectar diet are there any other serious things I should know before I get one?

Also can anyone recommend a good breeder?

Name
    Clive
    Thanks

Re: lorikeet

I have had some dealings with Lorikeets. Mainly Rainbow Lorikeets.
    They could be life changing pets as such.
    One thing they do exceptionally well with is loads of input.
    I call them 120% bird as they are so full on, if you want that. But please remember if you start this way you will need to keep it up for 20yrs.

Zammy was the crazy that I could throw up in the air. And did a lot of miles around town when I was trying to make public the needs of NZBR. He was a complete and utter nutter.
    We had a very strong bond going.

Potato was another who bonded to me very strongly.

I have just had a 26yr old one in boarding. And was a bit stand offish. But that is excusable.

Yes the pooh is the pits! But one of the very few down sides. But if you can deal with that then I say go for it. They do make great buddies.
    R.I.P my little ones.

Brand New Egg
    Name
    chelsea
    Thanks

I found a breeder! She rehomes them at 4.5 weeks while they're still being hand fed. I know I've read that if you want a bird to bond with you well, you should get just one so that they have to rely on you for company. But if your hand feeding them from 4.5 weeks, would you think that if you purchased 2 that they'd both bond with you pretty well? She only feeds them 3 times a day and has been breeding for 25 years. I thought birds were normally fed every few hours. Does anyone have any experience with 3 feedings a day?
    Chelsea

Name
    Clive
    Thanks

It is normal to feed many times a day after they are born and as they grow slow up on the number of times a day you feed.
    I think it is more important to watch the crop and only feed when the crop is empty.
    Taming a bird! It is not true. Parent raised birds can be just as tame,and bond with you fully. And one of the most important things about this is the fact that the birds grow up with a better understanding of life.
    Babies taken from the nest and hand feed can and do become way too humanized and this can cause problems later in life, Even more so when their living situation changes. Loris are prone to this as they are so fully on.
    Yes raising two young together can work. When training it is better to take one aside and work with it. This helps keep any distraction to a min.

Taking over hand feeding at that age, I trust you know what you are doing and have read up on doing this? Most breeders would not let any birds go until fully weaned. Which would be over 8wks and more like 10 or 12wks.
    R.I.P my little ones.

Brand New Egg
    Name
    chelsea
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by clawnz View Post
    It is normal to feed many times a day after they are born and as they grow slow up on the number of times a day you feed.
    I think it is more important to watch the crop and only feed when the crop is empty.
    Taming a bird! It is not true. Parent raised birds can be just as tame,and bond with you fully. And one of the most important things about this is the fact that the birds grow up with a better understanding of life.
    Babies taken from the nest and hand feed can and do become way too humanized and this can cause problems later in life, Even more so when their living situation changes. Loris are prone to this as they are so fully on.
    Yes raising two young together can work. When training it is better to take one aside and work with it. This helps keep any distraction to a min.

Taking over hand feeding at that age, I trust you know what you are doing and have read up on doing this? Most breeders would not let any birds go until fully weaned. Which would be over 8wks and more like 10 or 12wks.
    When you say "too humanized" what do you mean and what kind of problems could it caused. This is a term I've never heard before. And yes I've done research on hand feeding and still doing research lol. My mom actually used to breed and hand feed a variety of birds back when she used to live in Alaska.
    Chelsea

Brand New Egg
    Name
    chelsea
    Thanks

also would this cage be suitable for 2? http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-LARGE-IN...item2335119986
    Chelsea

Name
    Clive
    Thanks

Cage is a good size for two Loris.

Humanized! Is when a bird is so attached to a human and it does not seem to understand it is a bird. Needs human contact all the time. Will fail to adapt to changing life style.
    Dexter is a classic humanized bird.
    His story is on here somewhere. And in all honesty he maybe like this for all his life and he should have another 30+ yrs to go.
    So what problems can this cause? Whew! lets start with stress., when the living arrangements change. Stress bars in feathers when blood pressure drops. (Only happen when feathers in active growth) Plucking, Screaming ( boy can Loris let you know) and though I cannot say for sure, can lead to health problems.
    Start with them the way you intend to do so for the next 20yrs. I have just had one in here that was 26yrs old.
    Potato & Zammy not my birds I just played with them and had a very good bond with both.

Zammy the trickster
    R.I.P my little ones.

Brand New Egg
    Name
    chelsea
    Thanks

Oh OK. I get what you mean now. By getting two, do you think that would lessen the chance of that happening but since hand feeding both, still end up having a good bond?
    Chelsea

Name
    Clive
    Thanks

Having two that get along together should be a better idea, as if things do change they have each other. but I have no knowledge about this and is only an assumption. The bond companion relationship with two may not be as strong. Not like full on mate. Which from my point of view could be positive. It may not be from your point of view and what your target is.
    As for raising them hand tame most of that will come down to you and how much work you put in. But I see no reason why you should not be able to do this.

These are only my thoughts and may not be correct.
    R.I.P my little ones.

Brand New Egg
    Name
    chelsea
    Thanks

Thanks for your input!
    Chelsea