Red face My flock new home

The new home
    and
    here they are

Name
    Clive
    Thanks

Re: My flock new home

At risk of upsetting you I do feel the cage is too small for five Budgies. Two good, three at a pinch, as long as they are getting plenty of out of the cage time.
    Should be fun if one pair decide to start mating in there.
    And I would also comment on the round perches being of consistent size, these are not good for their feet and can lead to arthritic feet later in life.
    And they are Budgies and enjoy a few toys.

I am sorry I do not mean to offend you. These are only my opinions.
    R.I.P my little ones.

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

I am not sure if the two newest babies are old enough to be separated from the parents yet but once they are if it were me I would move the babies to the old cage. I would also think about moving the nest box from the parents cage because she has had two sets of babies in a short time and her body might need a break. I agree with Clive that they need more toys in the cage so they will have something to do. If you look in the toy section here on the site you will find lots of good ideas on how to make some toys for them.

They sure all are very cute little birds. The two yellow ones are my favorite ones.
    Fly Free Boomer, we will forever love you.

Name
    zahra
    Thanks

It is not upsetting but it is depressant, I thought it is the perfect cage and they fly happily in it ...but now I will work more on it
    they are still young the eldest is 4 months old and the idea of further expansion of their family is not planned now actually I need them to have birth control
    I let the young go out for a while and return them back to it
    and I'd like to know what is the suitable cage size, as I prefer to keep them together?

Name
    Rachel
    Thanks

Aww! They are such cute birds I love all the different colors!
    "It is not only fine feathers that make fine birds."

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,297 Times in 1,296 Posts

They are soooo sweet and look very healthy, Zahra. I do agree that the cage is too small for so many budgies. All birds, no matter the size, need big cages to be able to fly and spread their wings in a cage. My own opinion is that it really does not matter if they are flying free all of the time. They need a big home when they are caged. Since your hen continues to lay eggs and you are having new babies all of the time (and quite frankly, unless you separate the pair, I expect it is going to be very difficult to stop her from laying unless you decide to boil the eggs or get dummy eggs as we talked about), there simply is not enough room in that cage for all of them. You might consider using that cage for the pair when she is nesting.

I neglected to ask you how big your cage was. Like you, I am excited they can have a bigger cage, but I do think you need to consider getting one that is at least 26-30 inches wide, 18 inches deep and at least 24-26 inches high. I know that will sound very big to you, but in my view they need the room. I have my one budgie Muffin, in a cage that is much bigger than your new one, and I have even considered getting him a bigger one. I also am a supporter of flat top cages, because in my view, there is soooo much wasted space in a bird cage that looks like a house. You could consider getting a flight cage. They come in various sizes. You also could consider getting a breeding cage that has a partition down the middle that is removable. You would need to use the breeding cage without the partition piece, because it would be far too small for your bird family with the partition piece in the middle. I believe those cages are usually 30 inches wide and 18 inches high. I think the width would be perfect, but would want one that is at least 24 inches high. And I have found that you need 18 inches depth minimum, because most budgie and small bird cages are are only about 13 inches deep and that in my view is simply too small.

You can go on-line and look for bird cages. One website you could at least look at flight cages and other budgie cages is Dr. Foster and Smith. Now they are based here in America, so I don't think they would ship over seas, but I'm sure there are websites in your country that sell bird cages. Just google "budgie bird cages, with free shipping". That should give you several websites to at least look at bird cages. and your local petshop may have bigger cages as well. Just make sure when you get one that the bar spacing is no more than 1/2 inch. 3/8ths is the perfect bar spacing for budgies, because being so small they can get caught between the bars.

After you get your new cage you can decide what to do about the perches, if anything. That is your own decision as well. There are some bird owners who swear by natural wooden branches. You can get them outside, but they need to be baked so that any germs or bacteria would be removed from them. You can also google baking tree banches for birds, and should find information on how to do it.

As to the toys, in my view you don't need alot of toys in your cage. I would wait with the toys until you get the bigger cage. There are relatively cheap toys you can get. I have found that budgies LOVE mirrors, so you could put a couple in the cage, and perhaps a couple of hanging toys. And also, a couple of swings. My Muffin loves his swing. He spends alot of time on his swing, and also flirting with his mirror girlfriends, Bailee and Pearl!

I hope this information is helpful to you. Is the hen still setting on her eggs and did she lay more?
    Last edited by maxollie; 02-22-2014 at 08:40 AM.

Name
    Clive
    Thanks

Thank you for not getting tooooo upset with my comments.
    One thing I do not see we have commented on is openings. Small doors can be a real pain whee servicing the cage. Much better to have a big door you can open. Some may say a small door makes it harder for your bird to escape you. Well this is true. But after servicing many types of cages at the local rescue I can say those small doors are a real pain when trying replace the paper on the cage floor up too twice a day.
    I would always go with the biggest cage you can. As for particular size. What I looked at was that from your picture they look as if there is not enough space for them. I go with a visual thing as I did not have the dimensions.
    I've got two Tiels in right now and will post pics of their homes!
    I hope we can all understand the problems with the white one?
    The green one is a bit better, but has a lot of wasted space as it is too tall.
    Now the funny thing here is that I had this cage years back and sold it. It was for Tweety. But I did buy two of them and joined them together. It did not take me long to realise one like this was not what I wanted for my Cockatiel. And here it is being used for a Cockatiel. The bad news is that it was intended for both the Tiels to live in. But as Andy (12yrs) does not get on well with Squeaky (12mths) they live a separate life.
    Here is even more funny bits. When I got what I call a decent cage I ripped the setup down and put the one you see here back to as it came, then made two other cages out of the other one. One of these my friend has and Coco (Tiel) lives in it. But in truth he does spend a lot of his time out flying around.
    So they started life as two cages got made into one and then ended up as three.

Sometimes it is easy get them into laying than it is to stop them. How would you discourage egg laying! First has to be take the nest away. If she still insists on laying put them in separate cages when caged. I feel it does come down to taking her out of her comfort zone if all else fails. You do not want to have a chronic egg layer on your hands. It is very bad for them and can cost money at the vets.

Last edited by clawnz; 02-22-2014 at 01:20 PM.
    R.I.P my little ones.

Name
    zahra
    Thanks

Thanks for this information and I boiled the eggs todays and I put them back waiting for her to discover the trick, so I can remove the box directly and if she laid more eggs I think that I'll separate them as I have seen a cage with partition but it was smaller.
    That was the biggest cage I found so I might have to build special one for them and I should solve the problem of the rounded perch first then I will think of toys and by the way should I put colorful ropes in the cage or what?!
    I am interested to see the pictures that Clive mentioned
    Last edited by soliel; 02-22-2014 at 03:50 PM.

Name
    Clive
    Thanks

The rope perches! If they are the same as we get here they are claimed as bird safe!
    And they are as long as your birds do not chew them. I know of one bird that got very sick and was lucky to actually pass the ball of threads from the rope perch. The vet had no idea what was up and his treatment did nothing to help. So the bird could of passed away. I was also asked and had not picked up on the fact that the rope perch (that I had told them to remove as the bird was chewing on it) was still in his cage. Their reason for not taking advice from me? Oh well he likes it. Liking it nearly cost his life. There are other stories like this. So for me no rope perches, just plain old natural ones. These are great for their feet and beak, as if the bark is left on it can also be a good source of trace elements, as well as a chew thing.

Sorry I am having trouble working out the right size to post pics on my new program, so I see they are a bit large.
    R.I.P my little ones.

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,297 Times in 1,296 Posts

I am not a supporter of rope perches either. Here in the USA, the rope perches that they sell in my area are a piece of steel that is wrapped with rope material. When I had my cockatiel hen, Ollie, she was nesting on her eggs in the bottom of the cage because I did not put a nest box in her cage. She was a single hen, and I had no male tiel in my home. She was a chronic egg layer. One night something scared her, she had a night fright, and came off the bottom of that cage floor straight up in the air hitting her head on that steel rope perch. The next morning, she had a big bump on her head, and acted very lethargic and confused for a few hours before she started to feel better. That was a lesson for me. She certainly could have died. I removed the rope perches from both her and Muffin's cage and I will not use them anymore.

I also agree with Clive about birds chewing on the pieces of rope and getting those pieces of rope stuck in their gut. I think the tree perches would work well. But in that small of a cage, you could not put very many in there. As to the cage you have seen that is small and separates, if I were you, I would not want to put my pair in that cage because it is even smaller than this one. In my view, no matter whether you separate them and put them each in their own cage, you still very likely will have to deal with her laying eggs in the future. Once they start to lay eggs they will not stop. So, my opinion is to fix up a bigger cage for the baby birds, and let the pair have the new cage, or your old cage (I don't know how big it is). Since she has been setting on those eggs for several days, it is going to take most probably another 10 days or so before she has any desire to abandon them. And the way she is "stuck like glue" to her eggs that she lays, it may be she won't abandon them and you will just have to remove them in about 2 weeks or so. Then you can remove the nest box! She definitely is "nesting hen", and they LOVE to nest, because my Ollie, the cockatiel was the same way. She laid one clutch of eggs right after the other, and there was no stopping her, no matter what I tried. I even tried dummy eggs on her.