where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Dexter

Name
    Clive
    Thanks

Re: Dexter

We are only days away from getting blood results.
    I am still leaning to towards deficiency, and to this end have been advised to try a few things, including Biotin. Which I started today.
    I do not like what I am reading about the use of this product. But will trial a small amount over the next couple of months.
    It is to boost feather strength and growth. Normally used for human hair growth.
    I cannot say there is any indication in him that I can put a finger on to say he is sick in any way, other than the feathering.
    He is talkative, can be demanding and looks to be in good health. Everybody comments on his colouring. and how good he looks. Not that these people have a real clue about such matters. But it is always good to have people say he looks great. Seriously he has come a long way from when I took him. (18mths now).
    If I had to say anything I would say he is opening up all the time. And becoming more relaxed out and about. Knows how to complain when not happy, and not afraid to let me know.
    He never uses his beak to bit me. But will hit me with it if he does not get offered his sip of tea in the morning. Gives me the odd very gentle nibble of my ear now and then and likes to beak rub you, also now and then.
    And he is so good with the little ones. And I feel that speaks volumes for his own personal well being. If he was sick in some way I would be looking to see hin take out any bad moods on them. Does not happen.
    I will get details up as soon as the blood works results are in. I was not sure if I sent enough dried blood for the testing, and if not will have to stick him again for more blood.
    R.I.P my little ones.

Name
    Helen
    Thanks

Never heard of Biotin
    Do know that Red Palm Oil is GREAT for supporting feather growth. And actually with that beak, he might be able to open the palm nuts himself (just if you were looking for biotin alternatives). I saw an Ekkie who was almost totally bald regain decent, almost full feathers in little over 2 years - and his rescuer swears by RPO. Which is funny because he owns a parrot shop, and I think the 3 jar of RPO is just about the cheapest thing he sells. I've never yet got to the bottom of the jar before it goes out of date (it's that big) lol

Keeping my fingers crossed for you on good test results x I know how terrifying that wait can be

PS - yikes. That is one seriously heavy moult. Poor little man. Looks pretty handsome now though x

Thanks Lee for the adorable sig!

Name
    Clive
    Thanks

Thanks Helen.
    I have no idea where Molossus lives or what qualifications they have. But does seem to be very well up on bird care, Ringnecks and Alex at least. They are the one who said to try Biotin. It is available here (NZ) from any health shop.
    It was also them that put me in touch with MDS labs for dried blood testing. Which is much better than the old days of collecting a small vial for testing. And at $110nz I thought reasonable enough.
    I do have Red Palm Oil and I have added it, only now and then to seed mix for them all. We (my Av and myself) discussed using this for Jack and his skin and feather condition. So it was added to my collection of natural treatments.
    The one I got from my vet is a solid and can be added to their seed mix.
    You can melt in warm water and put into drops on wax paper and put in the fridge to harden up again. So that it is in a measured amount, or you can scrape and sprinkle over there foods.
    With my boy I am open to covering as many bases as possible.
    Like I have talked about boosting his protein levels. This I would normally only consider when before and during a moult. Or a hen in breeding mode. And never consider such a high dosage. But there are also many good things in Bee Pollen that may also help with his condition.
    To this end I talked a person selling Bee Pollen to give me a spoon full. Which I will get into him over the next few months.
    It has to be a very small amount at any one time as it says Bee Pollen has 40% protein.
    So always willing to try new things within reason. And try not to over load in any one area.
    You may think it funny, but I am not too worried about the blood test results as I am fairy confident. The test is just to eliminate disease and viral.
    When Jack was here I was far more worried about his blood results. But he was a semi naked SC2, and our wild flocks here have PBFD.

Yes! His annual moults are very heavy. And could be taken as a good sign his body is coming right.
    I guess a heavy moult like this, is a good sign. I firmly believe the body will only moult out what it has the capability to replace. Poor diet/health = poor moult.
    Last edited by clawnz; 06-04-2014 at 02:50 PM.
    R.I.P my little ones.

Name
    Clive
    Thanks

Ye Har! The results have arrived.
    Only one positive has come back. He is a male!
    All other tests are negative.

Willgoss,
    Clive
    MDS333885
    Alexandrine
    Parakeet
    Dexter
    MDS DBS
    collection kit
    Avian DNA sexing (Panel) Male
    Psittacine beak and feather virus(Panel) Not detected
    Avian polyoma virus (Panel) Not detected
    Chlamydophila psittaci (Panel) Not detected
    Pachecos disease virus (Panel) Not detected

So I guess we are right to be looking at conditioning or damage.
    R.I.P my little ones.

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,297 Times in 1,296 Posts

I'm happy for you that you got this great test result for Dexter. I am thinking that "biotin", is in fresh carrots. I know that it is often included in human daily vitamins. Knowing your education and expertise, I'm sure you will continue to search for a resolution for his feathers. I always say that Dexter is truly a unique and beautiful Alexandrine. Your "side kick" if you will!

Name
    Helen
    Thanks

Aww that's great news!

Thanks Lee for the adorable sig!

Name
    Clive
    Thanks

The good news is that his feathers do feel a lot softer. I had hold of him to cut out yet another damaged feather. And while I had him pinned down I did a decent inspection of his tail feathers as well as his wing. Sad to say there are damaged feathers there as well as his wing. These may be ones not yet moulted out.
    We were talking over a few things and this was my reply.
    Quote "This maybe interesting! When you mention Tail as well. I think we still go with poor diet back sometime with his old owner.
    I do not know if you know about Dexter and the tail feather issue.
    The thread only starts from his flight feather problems.
    But I am sure I did post on this forum about stress bars and how the tail feathers had them. Hence this is the first time (17mths) since I have had him that he has grown in good strong tail feathers. So yes I guess it could be deficiencies, and I am slowly winning.
    I do understand somethings take a huge amount of time to come right. Just I am not one of those patient types. But if we did look at this way I would say he may yet come right.
    Here are a few facts that I do know.
    Dexter has had a high number of stress bars on his feathers from the time I got him.
    His brother a year younger did not have any trouble that I see.
    But the ladies Sun Conure I had in boarding over Christmas had an issue with his tail feathers being very easy to fall out. He came in with just a few and went home without any, I felt so guilty about that as she did tell me this was likely and to be very careful.
    It did ring alarm bells at the time. And I did have a thought about it. Shoved it out of my mind as Mango did not seem to have the same problem as these two. End Quote.

There is a new vid up on you tube of him in the car yesterday. This boy is so super at ease he was asleep as soon as we moved off from the lights. And you can see him even lean into a corner. He could not get his balance to sleep on just one foot though.
    Love Him.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JPXyDQL80_4
    Last edited by clawnz; 06-07-2014 at 10:56 PM.
    R.I.P my little ones.

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks

I happened to be researching ingredients in bird seed yesterday, and did come across a couple of them that had "biotin" in them. So, apparently, it must be a good health food for birds.

I was looking at my Sunny's wing feathers yesterday as well. His left wing has 3 feathers close to the top of the wing, that will never grow. They are very small, and in between them are a couple of spaces as though those feathers either did not grow in, or were damaged somewhere down the line. He definitely is not balanced in flying skills, so if he were to be out in nature trying to fly, I think it would be a real challenge for him. He was one of those birds that was unfortunate to have his wings clipped "straight across", and whoever did it apparently had no experience in wing clipping. That is my main reason for not liking the wings clipped. If the person who is doing it has no experience or education, as we know, it can really mess up a little bird. Any bird's wings are his "life force" so to speak.

Great video of Dexter. What a "dandy" he is! He sure does love to ride in the car. Have to say, I like the music, Clive!

Name
    Clive
    Thanks

More clipping!
    I have seen a few damaged tail feathers as i said above, and in a wind they hang out of place.
    So today it was Dexters sort me out Dad Day.
    On the scales at 227g, I am happy with that. Gave him a good handling and yes he does feel so much softer to touch.
    Now Dexter be good while I play with your tail. Not an easy thing to hold a bird and use one hand to find the feather shafts I need to cut out. But my boy is super good, even if he did some complaining. He never offers his beak in protest, and that always blows me away.
    With the feathers you can see the issues he has. Note they will be older ones and next year should see good ones come in. His two super long tail feathers are doing great. Which would suggest they are softer and more pliable than any have been before, since I have had him.

Close ups

R.I.P my little ones.

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks

I sure can see a big improvement in the feathers. The feather shaft definitely shows a huge change. Keep up the great work, Clive. And take Dexter out for lunch and buy him a treat for being a good boy!

Name
    Clive
    Thanks

Another step forward! We do seem to be making progress. It is slow but I do feel he is getting better.
    I held Dexter under the shower and for the first time, after he was wet.
    This is the first time I have seen soaked feathers. Normally he just shakes and all the water droplets just drop off and he is almost dry.
    I have not given him any Biotin or Bee pollen this last week. I don't want to push to much into him at any one time. Back to my old motto, everything in moderation.
    R.I.P my little ones.

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks

Yaaay! Dexter! Progress is progress, no matter the small steps it might be. Do you think the shower water is going to help the healing of his feather shafts, etc.? I swear by bee pollen for myself, so I'm sure he is getting great benefit from it. I do not take straight Biotin, but do have it in a multi-vitamin.

Name
    Clive
    Thanks

Poor Dexter.

We had a slight accident! And his two long tail feathers are now on the table.
    I was trying to get hold of him and he fluttered off down to the ground. I went after him tripped and ended up stepping on his tail and they pulled out.
    I was beside myself. It is so sad to see him lose these.
    I guess there is some light though. It meant I got a good look at them and as they have been pulled, new ones should grow in over the next few weeks.
    There is some damage in both shafts as per his normal thing. I will get photos up later.
    Poor Dexter. He kept shaking his bum as if he knew they were missing. Trying to get the feel now they are missing.
    R.I.P my little ones.

Name
    Clive
    Thanks

Hi Maxollie.
    I am updating this thread as it covers what has been going on with Dexter over the last two years.
    Why do I feel it maybe heart problem?
    Simply because we have done all the tests I can think of, and made sure his diet is as good as I can get it boosting things that should of helped with his feather issue.
    He does feel much better than when I got him. That is a positive.
    People are always complementing me on his colours and condition. That is until I point out his tail and wing problems.As far as him being me comfortable around me and other people, he is much more active, and I know that is a positive. (He was being vocal at Animates today. I was playing with a very young Whiteface Cinnamon Tiel).
    As all what I have tried has made zero impact on the stress bar issue what is left?
    Lets look at what maybe causing stress bars/pressure bars! A drop in blood pressure. What can cause a drop in blood pressure? Why do I say a drop in blood pressure? From what I understand. The bars are caused by a drop in blood pressure during the pumping up of blood feathers/pin feathers. (New feathers growing in).
    A heart flutter could caused these drops in blood pressure.
    I know I maybe a drama queen. But there does need to be a reason. And I cannot say this is due to clipping. His wing problem could well be, but not his tail feathers.
    I will get a photo of the mess called a tail and upload soon. It is so sad I have not been able to bring myself to admit I have failed to resolve the problem.
    R.I.P my little ones.

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks

Don't lose heart, Clive. I know you are always researching and looking for cures and healing for different problems that birds have. It is a plus that he is active and not lethargic. I would think heart problems would "slow a bird" down somewhat, because of the heart not working as it should 100%. We have discussed the stress bars on the tails of birds. I can understand why you are perplexed, because you have tried most everything possible to change those stress bars and also the wings.

Have you ever tried the "wheat germ" oil, or the raw wheat germ. I know you use red palm oil. Just a thought for you to ponder. Have you done any research on problems such as these in birds, that could be "inherited" (from DNA)?

I definitely would not consider you to be a failure, when it comes to taking care of your flock. You are the best in providing them a wonderful home, and great diet.