Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Dexter

Name
    Clive
    Thanks

Dexter

Well it almost worked
    He has finished his molt and looking pretty good.
    I must get some photos of his tail feathers that are growing in at a great rate.
    Last edited by clawnz; 03-17-2014 at 11:21 PM.
    R.I.P my little ones.

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

Re: Dexter

He is beautiful, I love his new feathers.
    Fly Free Boomer, we will forever love you.

Name
    Clive
    Thanks

Sorry I should of posted this whole photo as well.

We are working through his flight capability.
    I now am carrying him when I move him anywhere outside. He does not like this very much at all, but I could not stand losing him.
    He wants to be with me all the time or at least in one of the vehicles. Which does give me an edge to work with.
    Most days I do try to get him to fly a little in the house.
    So at this stage I do not intend to clip him at all. I am sure flight is giving him a little more confidence.
    R.I.P my little ones.

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

Are you going to attempt to try to put a harness on him? I would think after having him for a long time now he just may trust you enough to try one on. This would be the perfect solution so you would never lose him if he decided to fly when he was outside.
    Fly Free Boomer, we will forever love you.

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,271 Times in 1,270 Posts

Wow! Dexter is looking great! I can say by looking at the pics he is super intelligent, very alert, and healthy. A testimony to his excellent diet, his environment, and you, Clive, for caring so much for your flock and boarders, and providing them the best life ever! How are the boarders doing?

Name
    Clive
    Thanks

Just a few weeks back. Remember Dexter when he was in a full on molt and I posted how terrible he looked just a few weeks back.

I remember last year how I went into panic mod, seeing him "What looked like to me! looking a mess"
    At least this year I knew what was going on. But you coul+d see how this would freak out somebody.

Maxollie. I will update the Boarders thread.

Boomer. No chance yet of him letting me hold him or put that harness on.
    He knows what is coming when I am going to move him in or out of the house or car and will make an effort to get away from me.
    He starts squawking, if he thinks I am leaving without him.-;
    He gets over it very quickly, which is good. And I hope he will get more accustomed to being man handled.
    For me I guess the lucky think he has not taken a chunk of me.
    Last edited by clawnz; 03-19-2014 at 01:28 PM.
    R.I.P my little ones.

Name
    Clive
    Thanks

Faliure!
    I have failed.
    Getting hold of him to move him around has been a bad move. And it has been having a negative reaction with him. He has been showing signs of not trusting me enough to step up.
    In someways he has helped me with the decision to semi clip him.
    In his efforts to not be moved he has broken a primary feather in the same place as what is now the normal area on his left wing. This makes about three missing or damaged there. And making it hard for him to get some balance in his poor flight.
    I decided to clip two primaries on his right wing. This has taken his flight away from him, and now he is back to ridding around on my shoulder.
    And to me he seems much happier, about me not trying to manhandle him.
    I have to get those pics up of his new tail feathers, which I think are now full length.

Added today: We have been out at work and when it was Cuppa Tea time I got Dexter out of the truck to come and sit with us on the deck.
    He is certainly more relaxed today. He climbed down and went to the lady, but could not climb her bare legs, so he stayed at her feet for awhile. Then her husband came out and was standing there in his dressing gown. (Old couple, so excuse them for still being in their night attire) Dexter checked him out and then decided he could climb that dressing gown to get up on his shoulder. Way cool to see him outside on the ground and totally relaxed. Makes me feel a little better seeing he is content with his life.
    Last edited by clawnz; 03-30-2014 at 06:19 PM.
    R.I.P my little ones.

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks

Great decision, Clive. Personally, I think him riding on your shoulder does make him happy, and makes him feel much more bonded to you! I really don't think any birds are ever in their best mood when they are handled. Just my own thought, but you know, birds were created to be in the wild and fly free all of the time. When we have them as pets we have to protect them from flying away, or getting hurt, and I know with both Sunny and Muffin, they just are not really keen about being handled and both are fairly tame.

Name
    Clive
    Thanks

Look what's coming out my bum!

And now fully grown in.

He has been so good today.
    Above is his morning. This afternoon we went to the bank and had to wait in the queue for like 10mins +, then on to the fruit shop for fresh old fruit for him and the Lorikeets.
    Next was the pet shop to see what was going on there. Played with the Mustache hand tame. The Ringneck would not play and the Cockatiel just wanted to sleep. Next on to the hardware to get some washers for perches. Then home. He stepped up to go into each of these places without hesitation. And since we have been home has had a spell of talking.
    Long day for him, and so much going on. In and out of the truck and car 12 times and meet so many people.
    These are all positive signs.
    Last edited by clawnz; 03-30-2014 at 10:09 PM.
    R.I.P my little ones.

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks

Wow! Dexter sure has become more handsome as he has been in your flock. I see "personality" written all over his face. And I can fully understand why he loves to go with you on your errands and your travels. He is a people bird, no doubt about it. And we both know it is always so much more rewarding to have them love their lives. And no doubt about it . . Dexter is in love with HIS life! I can only imagine the remarks you get from people who see you walking down the street, or in stores with him on your shoulder.

Name
    Clive
    Thanks

Sad to say Dexter has another broken primary, same spot and the last primary on that left wing. I have tried to get a picture of it. It was twisted around so the underside was turned up.
    I will get hold of him later and cut it off.
    So I am thinking I have to cut his other wing primaries on the right hand side to balance him.
    At least his tail feathers are looking good. And I will be having a closer look while I have hold of him.
    I had his weight at 224g on 24th March. He came in at 216g went up over the next three months and has been stable since.
    R.I.P my little ones.

Name
    Clive
    Thanks

Poor Dexter.
    Again he has broken another poorly developed feather. Same place as usual.
    The area has some bad feathers and I am sure I see a short shaft that has been chewed. This I can understand as they must disturb him.
    Barbering has been documented with clipped birds when the cut shafts annoy them.
    This time before I cut the feather off I got hold of him and tried to get a few photos. Good news is he is not so anti me handling him. So he is not fighting me that much. he still does not like it, but is getting better.
    From what I am seeing there are a few damaged feathers and the last one I have cut does have shaft damage and what could be stress bars. All these are causing weak spots in the shafts. Will this ever end? I wish I could say yes.
    I could take him in and have him put under to have a few of the bad, damaged or cut primaries pulled, this would or may let some new ones grow in in a group. This would stop the odd one being exposed by its self to damage.

Now I am sure his tail is at full length.
    I am stunned by just how long it is now, and seems a long way up to his beak.
    Last edited by clawnz; 04-15-2014 at 05:29 PM.
    R.I.P my little ones.

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks

Yes, that tail feather sure is a long one! I think I read a post of yours some place here, that you used red palm oil. Have you ever considered using some wheat germ oil in Dexter's food cup? (although i suppose he shares all of the food dishes). I had a budgie several years ago that had a problem with his feathers, and I read to put some wheat germ oil in the food cup . . a couple of drops about every 10 days. That did help Nikki's feathers alot. In my research I found that sometimes birds get a disease (I'll have to do some research to find the name of it because it has been a long time since I dealt with the problem), that does make their feathers scruffy looking (although Dexter sure doesn't look scruffy), and also causes feather breakage. The wheat germ sure made a big improvement on my Niki.

Name
    Helen
    Thanks

There are a lot of illnesses that will cause scruffiness and feather damage. Including the ones you never want to think about.

But then, he has improved so much since you got him. Which suggests it's probably not them. But it would take a vet to tell for sure. Has he had any blood work done? I'm wondering about a vitamin deficiency? Some of those can take a LONG time to build back up

If you could identify something specific, then maybe could target it?

He is looking awfully handsome and mischevious though!

Thanks Lee for the adorable sig!

Name
    Clive
    Thanks

Thank You Helen.

You are on the right track. I have somebody on another forum has said the same sort of things as you.
    I will ask the vet about doing full blood works, just to eliminate things that it could be or show something we have missed.
    I do feel he has come a very long way from where he was when I took him in. And those tails feathers are the best yet, so his bum area has come right and I cannot see any signs of weak or damaged feathers there any more.
    I am lucky in some ways as he will try most things to see if it is food.

From Molossus on Ringneck.com
    Quote:
    Clawnz,
    1 the 'stress' bars may not be stress related.
    2 the problem does not seem to be the result of poor wing clipping

It seems to be a growth deformity .. the stress bars you show are as a result of abnormally poor quill shed around the new feather causing scarring on the feathers. often the area will have some quill still bound around the growing feather.
    Now this occurs every so often with birds ... but on the odd occasion,, and only a feather or two may be affected. there is no breaking off at the base in these normal or odd cases.
    It is possible that the cause is viral related.. to eliminate this you need to do a feather related viral test. in South Africa and Australia ,,MDS are a reputable diagnostic lab . contact them for a kit via post and do a sample for testing of polyoma and PBFD .
    The other possibility is that the bird may suffer some health related issue causing feather weakness. I certainly hope this is the case as supplements may cure this case. here too a blood test will be required. your vet will be able to guide you in this case . if not let me know via ppm.

I suggest you keep his flights clipped to prevent recurring breaking (which occurs at the base of the shaft and early in the life of the feather ie blood feathers). This may help keep him pain free until we work out the problem.
    I mentioned keeping the bird locked as I have always heard the excuse from owners that the bird never jumped off before .. it was the first time it ever happened.. it just took off.
    This can happen to you too .. and you will not be a happy chappie in exposing your bird to unintentional injury or accidental death.
    perhaps an clipped wing and harnessed bird may be the solution ..
    Good luck with the bird.
    R.I.P my little ones.

Remove Ads