Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Meet Chu Chu

Livin the Good Life Brand New Egg sunnyvmx's Avatar
    Name
    Sunny
    South of Guadalajara on Lake Chapala, Mexico
    Thanks

Meet Chu Chu

Since I'll be moving into a house next month I had stopped going to garage sales and buy plants. For some reason I was still looking at the online classifieds for my area. I never imagined to see the post, "Parrot for Sale", but there it was. Now I am not looking for another aviary raised bird. I'm still hand taming my cockatiels, but since they have no interest in producing my longed for pet bird, I was curious about this 2 year old Lilac Crowned Amazon. This couple had owned him since he was 4 months old and wrote wonderful things about him in the ad. I went to see him.

He talks up a storm, loves the dog and was all over me. Everywhere I went he followed and came to me to be handled. He seemed to have no preference for either the husband or wife and enjoys meeting people as I could see. They said he's never bitten anyone and is rarely a grouch. I could see that they had given him lots of attention and he was certainly the bird I had always wanted so I pick him up today.

My question is, "Can I expect him to get along with the smaller cockatiels?" I've had a gray and amazons on one gym and cockatiels on another in the same room and everyone along fine as they were all tame. I know each circumstance is different, but I was wondering what I might expect. I'll see how he likes their birdie mash and add some fruit. Here's his pic.[IMG][/IMG]

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,341 Times in 1,340 Posts

Re: Meet Chu Chu

Chu Chu is one gorgeous Amazon. Leave it to you, Sunny, to find him. It sounds like he was well cared for and had a good relationship with his former owners. Personally, I think, "in time", you will find that he and the tiels will get along fine. Time and patience are always on your side! I know of members here who have different species of parrots living together. I'm sure you know that for awhile you will need to do a little "supervision" of your flock, so that he doesn't get into it with the tiels. Since he had a good home before, I think that will be the best positive you could look to. Sometimes rescues and rehomes haven't had that opportunity.

Thanks for posting the pic, and do stop by often and let us know how Chu Chu and your flock are doing! Congratulations! You really found a special little guy, who I think will turn out to be a friend of you and all of the flock!

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

He is so cute and I love his name! My sister has a orange winged Amazon and he is very mellow with other birds. He lived with my Boomer for a month and Boomer attacked poor Mango, bit him and just pestered him every time they were out together and Mellow Mango just sat there looking at Boomer as if he thought that little bird was crazy. I know Mango is very laid back but not even close to being as friendly as Chu Chu sounds like he is. What a score for you and I am thinking Chu Chu and you will be best buddies forever. I adore him and can honestly say I have never personally seen a Lilac Crowned Amazon and they are gorgeous! Lucky you.
    Fly Free Boomer, we will forever love you.

Name
    Clive
    Thanks

Congratulations.
    Sounds like you were in the right place at the right time. You just have to love it when these things happen.

As for the answer to your question. I do not know. You will have to be watchful and see how they interact.
    As you know I have birds that mix without any problems at all.
    So my feelings are (that is unless you have a species that is known to not like other birds) that in the right environment it is possible for them to get on.
    Stress and jealousy are tow factors to watch out for.
    R.I.P my little ones.

Name
    Sunny
    Thanks

The cockatiel flock were very curious about him, but didn't show any fear. I've taken him from the only home and two people he has ever known so I will be patient while he settles in and adjusts to the new environment and routines. I put his tree gym beside his cage and opened the door. He ate well and played with all the new toys. He made one approach to me and sat in my lap a little before climbing out of the recliner and returning to the comforting security of his gym and cage. I'll see how he likes the birdie mash this morning along with his fruit and toast. I bought him a couple of jalapena chili peppers to try. After all he is Mexican.

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks

I have found that tiels love hot pepper seeds, so I would say he will love the jalapenos. Especially since he is "Mexican"! Recently we were visiting Youtube (Sunny, Muffin and I), to listen to the different sounds of tiels, and other parrots. i have to tell you some of the Spanish folks who have posted videos of their tiels are awesome. They can speak Spanish just like I speak English!! Sounds to me like he is adjusting well to your home.

Name
    Sunny
    Thanks

Today we made good progress. He love the jalapeno pepper, corn on the cob and triscuit. His favorite is blueberries which makes him an expensive bird. Good thing they are grown right up the road. He's been playing all day and has approached me twice to be held. I tried to scratch him with my thumb, but received a pretty good bite instead. He has pinched me a few times as I was changing the water and food bowls in his cage and I didn't react, but this broke the skin so he found himself back on his cage pretty fast. It may have been a good lesson for both of us and I will refrain from making any movements until he asks. So far, so good and I have all the time in the world to spend with him and the little flock.

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

Ouch, them Amazon beaks hurt. I am sure you will learn what to do and what not to do around him soon but in the mean time I am thinking your poor hands will be rather beat up.
    Fly Free Boomer, we will forever love you.

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks

You made some progress, Sunny. Each day will help to make him more familiar with you and the flock. Even birds that are very tame, on occasion can bite you. And yes, when they bite . . . .it hurts!! I love that he is eating all of those goodies! Blueberries are a great food for him. (thankfully you have them close by)!!

On another subject, Sunny. Go to the thread under General Bird Talk that Clawnz created today. The word "adoption" was mispelled. The name of the thread is "adotion". Under that thread Clawnz says he has two tiels that are coming into his aviary for a short while and then he is going to find homes for them. One speaks Spanish. One of our other members, Birdi Lou, wrote that she would like to hear a cockatiel speak Spanish. So I just posted a Video I found on Youtube of this cute little tiel speaking and singing in Spanish. I thought of you when i first saw it. And I think you will love it!

Name
    Sunny
    Thanks

The lovely couple that raised Chu Chu are from England so the 20 phrases he speaks have an English accent. I have started his Spanish lessons already. He spent most of the day on her shoulder and I can tell he craves human interaction. He got down and walked over to me several times yesterday and then sat in my lap and asked to have his head scratched. Hay no problema...I am thrilled to say the least. I was told he loves to play in the yard sprinkler so today he'll get a shower as I clean his cage. In fact the little flock will enjoy a bath today too and we'll all enjoy the sun as it will be 85 where I live.

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks

I would love to hear Chu Chu and your other tiels speaking in Spanish one day. And i'm happy to hear that Chu Chu walked over to you and wanted scritches. I KNOW he will love you and your flock and his environment. Lucky you . . . 85 degrees??? As for me, I'm lucky if I'll get to 50 today, and that is good for me, because it was a very taxing and long winter here, and we got at least 50 inches of snow. Enjoy your lovely weather and your flock, today.

Name
    Sunny
    Thanks

Chu Chu discovered the birdie mash (carrots, sprouts, chick peas, wheat bread) yesterday and didn't take his beak out of the food cup until it was gone. My fridge now has more bird food in it than people food. Since he's been so gentle with me, I relented and let him on my shoulders while I did some household chores. He's the most curious bird about anything I'm doing. I'm not ready yet to do kisses, but I knew he wanted to. I have taken to wearing one of those Mexican aprons that slips over your head and ties on the sides with two pockets in the front. Strung from the shoulders are toys for him to play with as he sits in my lap. I know I look silly and the look on visitors faces when they see my get up assures me of this. As he settled for a nap I heard him whistle a tune and speak several phrases until he dozed off. I will admit that he does an awful squaawk when I'm out of sight so it's a good thing I'm moving to a house. He puts the rooster nextdoor to shame.

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks

You are just too cute, Sunny! I love the idea you had for the apron! I have decided you are like many folks who stop by here that love and care for all kinds of birds. You are just a "natural" at it, and that gift is from the Universe/God/Spirit.

Chu Chu has already bonded with you big time. Sounds like he wants his "mom" close by! Some species of parrots do make lots of noise. Hope the move to a house will give you more room, and you and the flock will enjoy it there.

Name
    Sunny
    Thanks

Now I know why the pirates had a parrot on their shoulder. It's because the PARROT wanted to be there. Another truth: If a parrot wants to give you a kiss, hold still and accept the kiss or you may have a parrot swinging from your lower lip.

I had thought that buying this bird blueberries made him an expensive bird, but today I shopped the Farmer's market and found myself buying him smoked salmon. I hope he likes it along with the blackberries, raspberries and strawberries.

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks

Sounds to me he already is "top bird" in your sanctuary! And somehow I am very sure he knows it!!