Tailfeathers
Contact | Tour
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: New orange canary and what I think is a Chestnut Flanked white Finch!

Name
    Catherine
    Toronto, Canada for the summer & Merritt Island Florida for the winter!
    Thanks

New orange canary and what I think is a Chestnut Flanked white Finch!

So it's been a couple of weeks since Cocoa our Cockatiel died suddenly (thinking it was a tumour on the kidney). It's been really rough on both of us, and I've never seen my hubby so upset in my LIFE! We both swore no more birds, but you know how that goes;-) When we had Cocoa, I said that one day we'd also get an orange canary, as I've seen them in the shops and think they are lovely. Hubby agreed!

It's been real quiet without Cocoa. Horrible actually. I can't even believe we'd get annoyed if he got too loud....we miss him!

The other day, hubby went food shopping beside the pet store we got Cocoa from 8 years ago. I told Bryan I was going to go in and if there was an orange canary, it was meant to be. We don't usually see them that often! Well, I walked into the store, and what do I see?

A large cage full of finches, and ONE ORANGE CANARY in there with them. I almost died!
    I got Bryan to come in and see for himself, and at the same time, we started to really dig this sweet little finch who seemed really friendly and followed us from side to side.

We took Pumpkin the canary and Lacey the finch back to their temporary home (a bigger cage is in the mail now!)....and we've so much enjoyed their antics and soft chirps:-) Hopefully I can tame them out a bit, we'll see. Either way, we adore them!

I am thinking that Lacey is a female....I've looked up the colouring plus I saw another male mount her at the shop. Does this mean we MAY get babies?!

As for Pumpkin, I think he's a male. He's not singing, just making cute chattering noises with a couple of high squeaks. His leg band has some letters on it, with a number 13. So I guess he was born in 2013 sometime but I can't tell when! It reads:

F88A B542
    Under the F88A reads just the number 13.

Any ideas?

I also believe that Pumpkin may be a bit overweight? What do you all think? His beak also needs to be grind down, so will be giving him some cuttlebone.

Anyhoo, here are some pictures:-)

After a bath!

My cat got NO sleep last night!

Will post more soon:-)
    Just a girl with some animal friends! A fluffy Himilayan cat named Theodore Mittens, a bearded dragon named Miphy, a canary named Fringe (Miss you sweet Pumpkin!), two penguin zebra finches named Jasmin and Prince Pen Pen (Miss you sweet Lacey!), a tarantula named Mystique, four chickens named Audrey, Ellie, Buffy and Dolly....hermit crabs, and a betta fish!

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

Re: New orange canary and what I think is a Chestnut Flanked white Finch!

Oh my goodness Pumpkin is gorgeous!! He looks a little "plump" to me as well but then I do not know anything about canaries so do not take my word for it. One of our members that comes on every now and then Rudi, 5borders, is very smart when it comes to finches and canaries and I am sure if he sees your post he will answer you questions about Pumpkin. Lacey is adorable and I am happy they have each other to keep each other happy. Does you cat scare the birds? That is a cute picture but I hope the birds are not afraid with a cat watching them like that. I have a friend who has big dogs and whenever they have baby chicks and they are raising them the dogs act like they are the mother chicken and guard them from the day they are born.
    Fly Free Boomer, we will forever love you.

Name
    Catherine
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by boomer girl View Post
    Oh my goodness Pumpkin is gorgeous!! He looks a little "plump" to me as well but then I do not know anything about canaries so do not take my word for it. One of our members that comes on every now and then Rudi, 5borders, is very smart when it comes to finches and canaries and I am sure if he sees your post he will answer you questions about Pumpkin. Lacey is adorable and I am happy they have each other to keep each other happy. Does you cat scare the birds? That is a cute picture but I hope the birds are not afraid with a cat watching them like that. I have a friend who has big dogs and whenever they have baby chicks and they are raising them the dogs act like they are the mother chicken and guard them from the day they are born.

Aww that sounds like such a sweet puppy, ha ha! Mitts is a funny cat. He has very little 'cat instinct' In fact, I used to let him and Cocoa (as you know, our cockatiel that passed) roam around together, he would never bother him, and Cocoa actually kind of scared him!

With these guys it's a bit different, he is rather fascinated with them. They move fast and are a bit fluttery so I don't trust him at all with them. At first the birds would move to the other side of the cage if he got too close too sudden, but quickly learned that they are safe from him in their enclosure. At least I'm pretty sure of that. He falls asleep watching them and they go about their business, ha ha! I'll watch though, as I don't want them TOO stressed out....

Actually it's funny too, my cat is best friends with my bearded dragon. I put them outside in a pop up tent together, LOL!

Pumpkin is a bit plump I think. I noticed he was much pudgier than other canaries....I love pudgy birds! I didn't think much of it until I read about them being overweight and it being bad for them. I think that's why he's got a bit of an overgrown beak too, from what I read. Guess he'll be going on a bit of a diet with lots of kale and carrots. I'll miss his pudginess, I'll be honest! But I want him to be healthy more than anything!

Lacey is adorable too. I love how her beak and legs match Pumpkins colouring. They always sit next to each other....it's adorable! <3
    Just a girl with some animal friends! A fluffy Himilayan cat named Theodore Mittens, a bearded dragon named Miphy, a canary named Fringe (Miss you sweet Pumpkin!), two penguin zebra finches named Jasmin and Prince Pen Pen (Miss you sweet Lacey!), a tarantula named Mystique, four chickens named Audrey, Ellie, Buffy and Dolly....hermit crabs, and a betta fish!

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

I think it may cause fatty liver disease if they are too fat and it is just not good for them at all. Maybe now that he is with you and not the only big canary in with finches he will lose some weight without any troubles. Lacey is very cute and both of them are unique little cuties. Mitt is funny to have play time outside with your bearded dragon in the tent.

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Louise
    Thanks

Beautiful birds. Pumpkin is a lovely colour :-)

Baby
    Name
    Rudi
    Thanks

You have what is called in the canary fancy as a Frosted Red Factor. If you ever take the bird in hand and blow the feathers up, you will see whiet underneath. Red is not the dominant color in this bird thus it was colorfed to become the red you see. Back to a comment you made about another bird mounting it, what you said you witnessed in the store, well I assume by the time frame from when you posted to now, you'd know the answer. No young by now, no worries. Anyway, back to the red. When it's time to molt, could be end of june or anywhere in July. When you see feathers on the cage floor, its starting, especially wing and tail feathers. If you want to always have a red bird you will need to colorfeed it or you will have a yellow canary or very muted orange after the molt. Look up red factor and colorfeeding red factor canaries. There is tons out there that will educate you. An inexpensive color agent, that is safe is Quick Red. When reading you will learn all feathers are replaced and the head is the last to molt out. Tip - when colorfeeding and the bird is down to just the head, taper back the colorant. No worries if you don't, but the head feathers are very small and sometimes if one does not tapper back the head comes in much more vivid or darker than the rest. Anyway, you should start colorfeeding as soon as you can or at first hint of the molt. The colorant should be in the birds system before it starts, this avoids spolching. Again read up on red factor canaries and colorfeeding them. There are differences between colorbred and colorfed, red factors are both, other are just colorbred. You will also read two terms, intensive and non intensive. Yours is Non-Intensive. This relates to the feather type. Intensive is a hard feather and non-intensive is a softer feather which colorbred people refer to as frosted. Wheh breeding you always mate a non-intensive to n intensive or intensive red to a frosted red. Take your time and read as much as you can. Genetics can get overwelming as can trying to read through how much information there is out there. No worries, take your time.

Name
    Catherine
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 5borders View Post
    You have what is called in the canary fancy as a Frosted Red Factor. If you ever take the bird in hand and blow the feathers up, you will see whiet underneath. Red is not the dominant color in this bird thus it was colorfed to become the red you see. Back to a comment you made about another bird mounting it, what you said you witnessed in the store, well I assume by the time frame from when you posted to now, you'd know the answer. No young by now, no worries. Anyway, back to the red. When it's time to molt, could be end of june or anywhere in July. When you see feathers on the cage floor, its starting, especially wing and tail feathers. If you want to always have a red bird you will need to colorfeed it or you will have a yellow canary or very muted orange after the molt. Look up red factor and colorfeeding red factor canaries. There is tons out there that will educate you. An inexpensive color agent, that is safe is Quick Red. When reading you will learn all feathers are replaced and the head is the last to molt out. Tip - when colorfeeding and the bird is down to just the head, taper back the colorant. No worries if you don't, but the head feathers are very small and sometimes if one does not tapper back the head comes in much more vivid or darker than the rest. Anyway, you should start colorfeeding as soon as you can or at first hint of the molt. The colorant should be in the birds system before it starts, this avoids spolching. Again read up on red factor canaries and colorfeeding them. There are differences between colorbred and colorfed, red factors are both, other are just colorbred. You will also read two terms, intensive and non intensive. Yours is Non-Intensive. This relates to the feather type. Intensive is a hard feather and non-intensive is a softer feather which colorbred people refer to as frosted. Wheh breeding you always mate a non-intensive to n intensive or intensive red to a frosted red. Take your time and read as much as you can. Genetics can get overwelming as can trying to read through how much information there is out there. No worries, take your time.

Oh wow, I just saw this post now, I haven't logged in for a bit. I actually just sent you a PM about Pumpkin and his ordeal. I will copy and paste it here also in case his story can help someone else! Thanks for the info on his color, very interesting!!!!

Name
    Catherine
    Thanks

So here is the PM, and some updates at the end:

"Hey there!

I came across your post saying that Cocci was incurable, but it seems people cure it all the time with medication....I am very confused!

I have a beautiful red factor canary, we bought him after we lost our Cockatiel of many years. He means everything to me! When I got him, he was puffed up and excessively grooming. I treated with S76 and the problem went away. Still he remained poofed up. I noticed lately he has been eating a lot, as in it's all he does! I felt the little guy and noticed he was thin....something didn't seem right there so off to the vet I went. She checked for megabacteria/yeast and it came in negative. I am now collecting his poop in a jar of solution over the course of 4 or 5 days. I have treated him with worm away in the past, and now he is on a cocci-care while we collect the poops. There is visible non digested food in his poop. He chirps a lot, but doesn't sing....he is supposed to be a male but we don't know for sure. He is so clumsy and can't fly very well, but has been like that since the start, I've had him two months. The vet (one of the best avian places to go to) says he is quite underweight, but she seems confident the analysis will show something we can treat....

Since using the cocci-care and putting him in a hospital tank with a heat light, he seems much better. Before he had runny poop and sometimes just liquid (last week it was apple cider coloured!), and now it is QUITE formed with the urate solid. Still shows seed/pellet bits though....and he still eats a LOT. I would say he is less puffed up but that could be because of the heat too.

What do you think of this?
    Is there really no cure when they are this thin?
    I would be devastated to lose him....just devastated....

Thanks so much in advance!"

And now for an update. I had him out of his hospital tank while I cleaned it....and boy is there a difference. MUCH less poofed, he actually stands up straight (looks so different!) and the clumsiness is almost gone. He can actually fly and land perfectly, before this was not possible. He would normally slam into things and not grip properly when landing, thus falling over. Now he is flitting all over the place and landing nicely. I also held him and flipped him upside down. I feel the line of bone down the chest, and I was looking for fat on either side of it. It's not bare breast bone, there is some fleshiness to it, but not a lot. We'll see how the next few days go and if you have any insight, please let me know. I think I will bring in his samples early, I've been collecting it for two days but do it almost everytime he poops....ha ha!

Thanks in advance:-)

Name
    Catherine
    Thanks

I have a streaming cam on Pumpkin....ha ha!
    https://www.dropcam.com/p/starspun

He is pretty active today, eating his mango....a favourite! He is still breathing fast though....

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,325 Times in 1,324 Posts

Hi Catherine. I LOVE the video of Pumpkin. He really is eating well today. I don't think there is a thing he missed of the foods you offered him. He really is a beautiful canary. I can fully appreciate how special he is to you. I am happy to hear he is doing better. Eating and being active like he is right now is a real plus for you in your hope that he will recover completely. I think his name fits him perfectly . . . he does look like a little orange pumpkin. I do not recall seeing such a beautiful red color in a canary. I will be praying that he will be healed.

Baby
    Name
    Rudi
    Thanks

Catherine,
    Cocci, is not curable, but it can be treated in a, “keeping at bay” fashion. Usually it starts from any number of things and progresses to Cocci. Overcrowding or bad living environments usually always the case with birds in stores, is a big culprit. Canary’s by nature or in nature as well are solitary birds and only come together for breeding. Stress leads to all kinds of problems and overcrowding is the biggest stressor there is. Overcrowding be as few as three birds in the same cage. Now there are multiple variances of this Circovirus and Coccidiosis (Atoxoplasmosis) in hook bills, (meaning your cockatiel or parrots) sometimes referred to as Psittacosis or in Canary’s referred to as Ornithosis. Anyway, all affect in an over simplified answer, the intestinal tract, liver, kidneys ect which inhibit the absorption of nutrients. Thus the bird eats and eats but cannot absorb anything and the result is their body starts feeding off itself which shows in them going lite and their breast bone becoming prominent because the tissue mass around it whittles away.
    Poop samples are the best way to diagnosis or isolate the exact problem. It is the only way to isolate it and thus treat correctly. Many different types of tests must be run. Some are straight forward and some more intense. Meaning you can take a poop sample and put it under a microscope and look to see some, others must be stained and looked at differently, gram positive and gram negative. Meaning, to simple take a poop sample and look is not going far enough, one must run multiple types to pin point what it is. These of course cost money, but it is the only way to be sure. Treating with meds only works if you are ACTUALLY treating the known cause, otherwise you’re off target.
    I am not trying to scare you; you’re on the right path and systematically breaking it down. Again, most of what I stated above can be treated, some can only be kept at bay, meaning a life time of treatment. I had a bird given me which in deed did have Cocci at the age of 2. I obviously never let him breed and he finally passed at age 8 from old age, not the disease. He always had it, I just continually treated him. Some birds will go lite and live another year with it untreated but the inevitable will sooner or later hit. Again, not trying to scare you or be cruel, just stating things directly which in an emotional event can come across cold. I am not being cold just stating some facts.
    He/she should do better treating him/her the way you are, and if possible do try and continue looking for the specific cause. This will allow you to know and treat specifically and come up with a course or action. This may again be a course that is now an ongoing treatment. To recap, the vet sounds like she is honing in, so to list everything I would check for would only overwhelm you. I believe if they ruled out what you stated and are looking at poop they are already systematically eliminating what they should. Again prevention is always the best route, but some things are incurable, but they are treatable. A bad but accurate for instance was HIV/AIDs, meaning today we can treat HIV so it never moves to be aids. Sometimes even treating will after a while move it to being dormant and the body’s own system takes over to keep it at bay. Wow, sorry this got real long.

Name
    Catherine
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by maxollie View Post
    Hi Catherine. I LOVE the video of Pumpkin. He really is eating well today. I don't think there is a thing he missed of the foods you offered him. He really is a beautiful canary. I can fully appreciate how special he is to you. I am happy to hear he is doing better. Eating and being active like he is right now is a real plus for you in your hope that he will recover completely. I think his name fits him perfectly . . . he does look like a little orange pumpkin. I do not recall seeing such a beautiful red color in a canary. I will be praying that he will be healed.
    Isn't he so cute? His colour is so bright, I've never seen one like him in person before! I actually took out another dish so he would focus on his Mango, as I put bene-bac on it;-) I'll give him his other dish in a bit. Thanks so much for writing:-)

Name
    Catherine
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 5borders View Post
    Catherine,
    Cocci, is not curable, but it can be treated in a, “keeping at bay” fashion. Usually it starts from any number of things and progresses to Cocci. Overcrowding or bad living environments usually always the case with birds in stores, is a big culprit. Canary’s by nature or in nature as well are solitary birds and only come together for breeding. Stress leads to all kinds of problems and overcrowding is the biggest stressor there is. Overcrowding be as few as three birds in the same cage. Now there are multiple variances of this Circovirus and Coccidiosis (Atoxoplasmosis) in hook bills, (meaning your cockatiel or parrots) sometimes referred to as Psittacosis or in Canary’s referred to as Ornithosis. Anyway, all affect in an over simplified answer, the intestinal tract, liver, kidneys ect which inhibit the absorption of nutrients. Thus the bird eats and eats but cannot absorb anything and the result is their body starts feeding off itself which shows in them going lite and their breast bone becoming prominent because the tissue mass around it whittles away.
    Poop samples are the best way to diagnosis or isolate the exact problem. It is the only way to isolate it and thus treat correctly. Many different types of tests must be run. Some are straight forward and some more intense. Meaning you can take a poop sample and put it under a microscope and look to see some, others must be stained and looked at differently, gram positive and gram negative. Meaning, to simple take a poop sample and look is not going far enough, one must run multiple types to pin point what it is. These of course cost money, but it is the only way to be sure. Treating with meds only works if you are ACTUALLY treating the known cause, otherwise you’re off target.
    I am not trying to scare you; you’re on the right path and systematically breaking it down. Again, most of what I stated above can be treated, some can only be kept at bay, meaning a life time of treatment. I had a bird given me which in deed did have Cocci at the age of 2. I obviously never let him breed and he finally passed at age 8 from old age, not the disease. He always had it, I just continually treated him. Some birds will go lite and live another year with it untreated but the inevitable will sooner or later hit. Again, not trying to scare you or be cruel, just stating things directly which in an emotional event can come across cold. I am not being cold just stating some facts.
    He/she should do better treating him/her the way you are, and if possible do try and continue looking for the specific cause. This will allow you to know and treat specifically and come up with a course or action. This may again be a course that is now an ongoing treatment. To recap, the vet sounds like she is honing in, so to list everything I would check for would only overwhelm you. I believe if they ruled out what you stated and are looking at poop they are already systematically eliminating what they should. Again prevention is always the best route, but some things are incurable, but they are treatable. A bad but accurate for instance was HIV/AIDs, meaning today we can treat HIV so it never moves to be aids. Sometimes even treating will after a while move it to being dormant and the body’s own system takes over to keep it at bay. Wow, sorry this got real long.

That's great information THANK YOU! VERY VERY informative:-) Glad to see things are going correctly in order somewhat. Whatever he had, it was direct from the shop, so there was nothing I could do. Hopefully it didn't get too worse until the treatment started. Not sure if you saw the webcam streaming of Pumpkin, but if you did, you notice he is eating a LOT. He never stops! Other than that he is hoping around, had a nice fly, and is constantly chattering....

If I use preventatives and keep the cocci at bay, does this mean he will gain a bit more weight?
    Also, he was housed with another finch for a bit, does this mean she has it too? I suppose I could always get a direct test for that....
    She shows no symptoms and seems REALLY healthy! So strange....

Is it possible for a canary to live with cocci in this state for several months before taking a turn for the worse without treatment? From what I read online, it hits and it hits hard generally. Or am I wrong? This seems to be a lingering situation....

I called the vet and it will take 3-5 days for results. UGH. So frustrating, as a bird can turn bad in only a few hours. It's the long weekend, and that means I won't get a result until next Friday or Monday! Is there anything I should start to give him after the cocci-care before we get the results?

Thanks so much once again, very appreciated!!!!
    :-)

Name
    Catherine
    Thanks

Well this isn't good....he doesn't really want to eat as much....and now not really at all for the last hour or so. Tail bobbing, not as active as yesterday. I am getting so upset! :-(

*tempted him with some mango. He is taking a few bites, nothing like he used to, but he is eating some. I am seriously going to have a heart attack!*

Edit: Well he started eating again. It's not as constant as it was before. I hope he is normalizing or something....
    I am so used to him eating constantly, so will see how this goes. This weekend is going to take years off my life, LOL!
    Last edited by starspun; 05-17-2014 at 03:25 PM.

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

I hope he decides to eat lots of food for you so you will not worry about him. After what you went through with Cocoa you sure do not need to have anything bad happen to your Pumpkin. I am sorry he is making you so nervous and I really do feel for you because I know how tough it is when they have something wrong with them.