Contact | Tour
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thread: Salt Good and Bad

Name
    Clive
    Thanks

Salt Good and Bad

Salt is always coming up in discussions for us and our birds.
    So I thought I would do a bit more digging around, as I am one who has always claimed we need salt in our diets. This also applies to our Fids.
    Simply put if you have a salt free diet you are putting your health at high risk. This is no better than having too much salt. Or should we call it Sodium.
    The world renown Salt lick has to be The Manu Clay lick where many animals go to eat the clay, which is rich in sodium, as well as many other trace elements.
    The type of salt is very important, so please research this. Rock Salt and Sea Salt are better in most ways than iodised table salt. There are many other reports, That I have read over the years. All lead to the same conclusions. All living things need some salt in their diet.

So a few bits I plucked from the net.

http://www.saltoftheearth.com.au/good-and-bad-salt.html
    There's Good Salt and there's Bad Salt. Do You Know the Difference?

"Eating the good salt, (hand-harvested Sea Salt) makes it easier for the heart to contract and pump..." - Dr. Jacques de Langre PhD. (Californian Biochemist and one of the World's leading proponents of Natural Sea Salt.)

"A basic lack of knowledge has for years promoted the belief that all salt is bad for you!"

The 20th Century belief that avoiding salt will help you live longer has been sadly misunderstood. Consequently, the health food establishment has inadvertently gone along with this widely promoted premise and as a result they solemnly tell you that avoiding salt will help lead you to better health and well being. Overwhelming scientific research now shows that for most of us, it definitely WILL NOT! What is not understood is that.... a low-salt diet for the treatment of High Blood Pressure has been based on research regarding commercially refined table salt intake. The detrimental effects of such a salt have been well documented. Unfortunately this is only a temporary measure not a long-term solution to a balanced blood pressure reading.

A salt restrictive diet can actually raise or even lower your blood pressure. Many young adults that have lacked the balance of a Good Salt from early childhood actually suffer from low blood pressure
    "A lack of salt can cause accelerated aging cellular degeneration, and 'biochemical starvation."
    A lack of salt can impede the proper organ functioning within the human system. Chronic conditions such as weakened kidney's, stressed liver and massive adrenal exhaustion can result due the absence of a good salt
    On a salt free diet, the valves of your heart muscle can tire, due to a lack of essential minerals and trace elements found in a high potency good quality salt
    "Magnesium is needed for the pumping action of the heart."
    The healing powers of good salt equal those of Vitamin C, Vitamin E, and many other nutrients in the health food stores

The prevailing viewpoint of modern medicine is that salt is bad and must be eliminated from the diet, like alcohol and tobacco. People have been taught since childhood that "salt causes high blood pressure". The truth is that Hand Harvested Sea Salt naturally contains an abundance of essential macro-nutrients. In 100% natural salt there are over 80 trace elements that act a buffer to protect us from sodium chloride retention, consequently natural sea salt can actually lower blood pressure, because it removes the excess sodium from the tissues once it has completed its role within the cells matrix.
    "The idea that Salt in the diet has many positive values is totally ignored."

To present the case for 'The Good Salt', we have gathered information from several of the world's leading proponents of salt, like Dr Jacques de Langre the renowned Californian Biochemist. Dr de Langre dedicated over 30 years of study and research to the health benefits of Salt (especially 100% Pure "NATURAL SEA SALT ") He has a Ph. D., in biochemistry from the University of Brussels. Dr de Langre recommends a special, unrefined naturally Hand Harvested Sea Salt for all people with high blood pressure and heart problems. His approach defies orthodox medical logic. The opinions of Dr de Langre are obviously 100% counter to established medical beliefs. None, not even unorthodox doctors, go as far as Dr de Langre, in his universal recommendations for the good salt. Dr de Langre openly agrees that refined salt (pure sodium chloride) is detrimental to the body, and can cause high blood pressure. Yet he believes Hand Harvested Sea Salt is extremely healthy, and has the opposite effect of refined salt (or other manufactured sea salts).

"The entire health field is very sloppy with its terminology on salt. They think all salt is the same. This is far from the truth. Most refined salts are a poison. But some natural salts are a nutritious and essential food."

In America and here in Australia, majority of doctors condemn salt. They take heart patients off salt, whereas in France, they give heart patients Hand-Harvested Sea Salt.

"Real, True SEA SALT can actually help people with High Blood Pressure." - Dr Bruce West Carmel,California, U.S.A.

"The use of hand-harvested Sea Saltwill go a long way towards helping ailing joints." - Health Alert Vol 10, Issue 11

"Hand Harvested Sea Salt can act as a magnesium tonic." - R. M. Touyz
    "Modern research clearly shows the positives of Hand-Harvested SEA SALT."

The heart muscle works harder on a low salt diet. A salt free, vegetarian diet can cause kidney, respiratory and blood sugar problems. Due to the excessive intake of greens (high in potassium) and no salt, an imbalance of sodium and potassium occurs. Eating a proper, well-balanced salt, can help cleanse the plaque off blood vessel walls.

And another clip:
    http://www.cncahealth.com/explore/le...d-and-the-ugly
    Likewise, while it’s true that most people get far more sodium than they need, it should not be overlooked that sodium is a nutrient your body needs to function properly. In fact, sodium helps:11

Maintain the proper balance of fluids in your body
    Transmit nerve impulses
    Influence the contraction and relaxation of muscles

Tips for Healthy Sodium Intake

Cutting all salt out of your diet would be a dangerous, even deadly, health move … but consuming excessive levels can be damaging as well. Your best route is to strike a chord somewhere in the middle and consume the salt your body needs to stay healthy, and not too much else.

The fact is that way to many processed foods are high in sodium.
    And the second site details a few of these. As humans a huge number of our foods are too high in salt, that certainly became very clear to me.

How to apply this to our Fids?
    Well if you feed any processed foods, and this includes many pellets on the market check for salt content.
    Try to eliminate as many processed foods from their diet as you can.
    If you have Fids that are predominate fruit eaters you may need to add salt. Manu Mineral Blocks are a good form of many trace elements.
    There will be other things you can add.
    The main thing is to kept it all in balance. Not too much and certainly not zero.
    I understand this may ruffle a few feathers. But leave it to those reading what they make of all this.
    Last edited by clawnz; 04-25-2014 at 07:42 PM.
    R.I.P my little ones.

Administrator Tailfeather Community Administrator
    Name
    Marie
    Thanks

Re: Salt Good and Bad

Yes, every living creature needs SOME salt. Many seeds and pellets have sodium included however, so you want to make sure you're not over salting your birds if you feed a commercial food. Plus, things like chicken, which some parrot owners give their birds, has a high sodium content so they will get sodium from there. For humans, salt content recommended is one teaspoon, no more (and most of us get way more than that, due to processed foods). Fids are much smaller, so obviously need much less.

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

Interesting facts about salt, thanks for posting it. I changed my salt to natural sea salt a few years back when I read how good it was for you and now that I read what you posted here it makes me know I made the right decision. One teaspoon of salt is not that much at all Marie so I am happy I do not eat much processed foods in my diet. I try to home cook all our meals but sometimes it is just too easy to open a can and eat it. It is shocking how many ingredients are actually in processed foods, especially the salt content so eating natural foods that you cook are always the best choice for us to eat.
    Fly Free Boomer, we will forever love you.

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,268 Times in 1,267 Posts

The standard salt that most people use here in my area of the country is "iodized salt". I have never tried sea salt, although I have seen it in health food stores. Sadly, here in the Midwest, except for perhaps Chicago, Minneapolis, and some of the bigger cities, we are far, far behind on organic foods, and other supplements such as the sea salt, and foods eaten by vegans. Being a part of the country that is rich in corn, bean oat, wheat crops, as well as meats like beef, pork, and chicken, and the fact that there are many farming and dairy communities in this area, there has not been much of what I call the "east and west coast" health movement of a few years ago when vegans and other organic/healthy ways of eating have taken hold.

The article that you have posted is quite interesting to read. I do not agree with some of the findings that have been published, because I know there are people who have had heart surgery, and kidney surgery, who often times have restricted salt diets. i also know from experience, that too much salt in my diet will cause my arthritis to act up, and also will swell the joints. So, I am very, very sure I do not consume a teaspoon of salt a day. No way would I ever have that much salt. And I am very blessed to say I take no medication whatsoever, my blood pressure is normal, and my cholesterol is perfect.

As to my birds, I do not give them any salty foods or sugary foods. Personally, I think the sodium content of processed foods is causing all kinds of health issues for people in this country. Fast food is also causing many health issues as well.

Each of us must decide what is best for our own diets as well as our birdie friends.

Livin the Good Life Brand New Egg sunnyvmx's Avatar
    Name
    Sunny
    South of Guadalajara on Lake Chapala, Mexico
    Thanks

Here in Mexico, we eat a diet made up of mostly fresh fruit and veggies. Little processed food, but I always ask for salt with my margaritas.

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks

A margarita would not be a margarita without salt, that is most certain!

Name
    Tracy
    Thanks

I'm a bit of a salt junkie, I have to say. I don't go for a lot of processed foods, but I am quite liberal with the salt shaker at home. My father has low blood pressure and I seem to have inherited that trait. As for Birdi Lou, she is often stealing the stray grains off my plate but I've curtailed that as she seems to be retaining fluid with her heart condition.

Name
    Marie
    Thanks

Ellen - Yes, of course there are special diets that need less than average. The teaspoon is just the "average 2000 calorie diet should have this" - not tailored to medical conditions, weight, height, climate, etc.

It is so easy to go over it though, at least in the US. They even do sneaky stuff like inject salt water into some meats to increase the weight so they can charge more and they don't have to tell you about it, so all that extra salt added is just invisible to the consumer. Sodium and corn syrup can be so hard to get away from!

The bird is allowed the occasional bite of junk food here - he likes burnt french fries and potato chips. But, not much and not often. He will eat healthier than me, I insist! Haha

Name
    Clive
    Thanks

When you think about it 1x teaspoon is a huge amount of salt.
    I am a salt person, but do not think I would eat this much in any one day.
    But I do not eat junk foods and not often processed foods.
    The McDonalds hamburger was a bit of a shock coming in just below the advised daily intake.
    My clod smoked salmon will be high in salt and sugar, as I use this mix as a brine to sanitise the flesh before smoking it. That is why it keeps for 4weeks and is still edible.

I was once told a story about a fish processing line here in Auckland. This is where they take fish from the trawlers and send it down the conveyor as it is cut up for the retail market. All the way along the line there were injectors that pumped salt water into the flesh.
    As per what Marrie has said about meat. It is to keep the weight up. But more than likely claimed to keep the flesh fresh and free of bacteria.
    R.I.P my little ones.

Name
    Marie
    Thanks

Clive - In the U.S. they do it mainly with ground beef. They did some studies and found something like 85% of ground beef on our market is pumped full of saline, without anyone being told about it because regulations don't require it. They didn't even bother to try to defend it as having a real purpose.

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

I am shocked they pump saline into ground beef! Guess I am happy they actually ground the beef at the store here in my small town which most other stores do not do this. Wow, I just cannot even imagine why they would do this except the fact that people seem to like things that are overly salted these days.
    Fly Free Boomer, we will forever love you.

Name
    Clive
    Thanks

More weight more money, it is that simple.
    A little bit of Whitemans magic. It's all about how to make more for less.
    R.I.P my little ones.

Name
    Marie
    Thanks

Pretty much. They sell it by the pound, so they can get a few extra dollars per package doing it and it costs basically nothing. Better than when places were caught selling horse as beef anyway.

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks

For anyone who is seeking an alternative to shaking salt on your food, or even cooking with salt, you may wish to consider lime juice. I put lime juice in my bean chilli, and never use a salt shaker. It is excellent for most any kind of meat including beef, pork, chicken, and fish. Another suggestion I have is to always use light brown or brown sugar for flavoring your foods. It does not affect insulin levels like white sugar or corn syrup.

Personally, I look for any alternatives I can when I am cooking and eating foods. Sodium is in most every processed and canned food we buy. Frozen veggies and fruits and/or fresh veggies and fruits are much more healthy for us.

Did you know that microwave popcorn is most probably one of the worst foods you could be using for a snack? Popping your corn in an air popper and then seasoning it is the best way to fix it. If you are going to use oil for popping, I suggest canola oil. And go easy on that salt shaker.

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

Iodised salt is good for you if you got nuked and little else

Remove Ads