where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thread: How to stop my birds fighting?

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Smile
    Thanks

How to stop my birds fighting?

I have three male budgies, two aged 1year 6months and one aged 1year 9months. I got them last year in February all together from the same breeder. Up until now they have been fine with each other grooming and kissing each other but recently two of them have started to fight. They are around the same size and it is normally the younger one is picking on the older one. One jumps on top of the other and tackles them onto the floor. They have done it twice in the past two days and both times I have separated them. There is no signs of blood or plucked feathers. Why do you think they're doing this? Should I get another to even them all out? How do I stop them?

Name
    Clive
    Thanks

Re: How to stop my birds fighting?

Welcome to the forum.

Hormones maybe.
    Their ages would be about right. Where in the world are you?
    I don't know getting another male will help any though.
    R.I.P my little ones.

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Smile
    Thanks

Thankyou.
    I am in Australia. I thought it might be the cage size because when they are out of the cage they'll be quite happy with each other, though sometimes they do push each other off stuff.

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,256 Times in 1,255 Posts

Are you positively sure you have all males. From what you have written about them, my thought is you could have a female in the mix, and the males are all competing with each other to have her as their mate. My thought is the jumping on top of the other bird certainly sounds like mating behavior. I do know that male budgies can display "female" mating behavior, so it just could be they are sparing with each other. It does seem strange that this behavior has just now started after all the time you have had them.

You can get them all DNA sexed. You can go on-line and get a kit. I believe it is just a matter of taking some feathers from them. Then you send in the kit and they send back the results.

I had what I thought were 5 males a few years ago. When I was gone from my home one day, they all got into a fight. When I came home there were feathers everywhere, and Pete had a broken toe. I could not figure out why they had gotten into such an intent fight. Up until that day, they were all happy campers together! A few days later I saw Niki and Buttercup mating. Then I knew what the fight was all about. I immediately took the new pair out of the cage and put them in a separate cage, and the 3 males were back to their cordial selves. At this point in time I think I would wait for awhile before I introduce a new budgie into the mix. since they are fighting now, a new one might just make them fight more, or be aggressive toward the new one.

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Smile
    Thanks

A few years ago I had what I thought was two males and it turned out one was a female. I may try that.

Remove Ads