Tailfeathers
Contact | Tour
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: my budgie is not laying her second egg!

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,259 Times in 1,258 Posts

Re: my budgie is not laying her second egg!

I'm sure you have the cuttlebone in the cage for the calcium they need. You could try feeding the parents some greens such as leaf lettuce and cilantro. I would not feed parsley or kale to budgies. I also feed little pieces of whole wheat bread to my budgie. He loves the lettuce, cilantro and the bread.

If and when the egg(s) hatch, the parents feed the babies. They eat the seeds you feed them and then regurgitate the seeds into the baby's mouth. I would suggest you go on Youtube and search for "budgie parents feeding baby budgies". It really is neat to see how they feed them. Nature really is amazing and marvelous when you see something so special.

Thanks for the update. I'll be watching for your posts as the time gets closer for the egg(s) to hatch. I presume she is setting on all of the eggs!

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

hi, so i candled the eggs for the last time now,(since the chick is suppose to hatch in a few days) and only 1 is fertile. i was wondering when i should remove the infertile eggs? before the egg hatches or after? will it depress my hen or will she not notice? please help! what should i do?

Name
    Amy
    Thanks

If I were you leave the eggs in for a while and more people will help with your q.

Meka
    Lyla
    Chika
    Leilani
    Stardust

Teenager
    Name
    Bill
    Thanks

Flying Circus is correct about egg binding. When I was a boy, we had a budgie that died of egg binding. Family came home, and found the bird dead in the cage. I know very little about bird health then, IF it happened now, I would know what to watch for and help.

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,259 Times in 1,258 Posts

It will not hurt to leave the other eggs in the nest with her. Personally, I think she will "miss" those eggs. When I bred my budgies, I didn't candle the eggs, and didn't know if any of them would hatch, so I just left all of them in the nest box and went by counting the days until hatching time. Thankfully all four of my eggs hatched. I did not disturb the nest in anyway. If any of the eggs would not have hatched after about a week or so after the incubation date (approx. 21 days), I would have discarded them, cleaned the nest box and taken the box out. If your egg hatches, you will want to wait awhile before you take those eggs out, because they are "bulk" in the box so the baby doesn't have to lay in the box with just the hen. (the dad feeds but doesn't stay in the box all of the time).

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

hi, I'm really worried about my male budgie. I don't know what's wrong with him. Every time my female budgie comes out of the nest box, he goes in and does something with the eggs. couple days ago, I saw him in the nest box and he was doing something to one of the eggs. today, I went to check on the nest box and saw he was in there and he had rolled the only fertile egg to the side. Is he trying to kill the eggs or what? Please help. that fertile egg is suppose to hatch between tomorrow and Tuesday.

Name
    Clive
    Thanks

If it is that close to hatching he maybe able to hear the baby chirping in the egg. Or worst case! he knows it has died. I hope that is not the case.
    Why he rolled the good one to one I do not know. It is the dead ones they would normally move away from the good ones.
    Leave the unfertile eggs in the nest as long as you can.
    It will help stop the chances of splayed legs with only one baby bird in the nest.
    Keep a good watch though that none get any damage. If this happens think bacteria and get them out there.
    R.I.P my little ones.

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

ok latest update. The only fertile egg hatched today, at about 2:00pm. since then, It has been chirping for most of the time.IS it normal for them to chirp that much? Also, I don't have bedding in the nest box but there is a concave. Will the chick get splayed legs? Should I put any nesting material in there? If yes, then which material is the safest?

Sorry, that's a lot of questions at once, but I'm really worried about my baby budgie...
    Last edited by Chirping; 06-07-2014 at 06:30 PM.

Name
    Clive
    Thanks

Sorry I thought I had replied to this?
    The chick should be ok by now so a bit late to help.
    But yes there should be some sort of nesting material, but sometimes they will throw it out.
    The other eggs would of helped anyway. It's just those first few days the baby needs to be able to push against something and this is normally it's buddies.
    R.I.P my little ones.

Remove Ads