Tailfeathers
Contact | Tour
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: my budgie is not laying her second egg!

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

my budgie is not laying her second egg!

hi, I am new to this forum. i have two budgies, male and female, both 3 years old. I put a nest box for them and my female budgie Chirpee, laid her very first egg on Saturday! i was expecting another one on Monday, as they are suppose to lay every other day, but she didn't lay on Monday! i thought she was egg bounded, but today she ate her food, came outside the nest box to play, and is not fluffed up or anything. she is even incubating her egg already! its Wednesday now, and she is still acting normal. so my question is that is it normal for them to lay only one egg in a clutch? or is it possible for them to lay after three days or something. I called the vet and she said that sometimes budgies can only lay one egg if its their first clutch. what should i do to help her?
    please help. thanks

Name
    Linda
    Thanks

Re: my budgie is not laying her second egg!

Hi - keep a very careful eye on her for ANY signs of egg-binding. If you see any signs, get her to an avian vet RIGHT AWAY. Google for signs of egg-binding if you have any doubts as to what to look for. Best of luck!

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,295 Times in 1,294 Posts

My thought is that being new to egg laying, it is very possible this egg is not fertile. Have you seen the pair mating? Often times the hen may even lay her eggs off the perch for the first clutch. Or maybe lay an egg in the corner of the cage. Even though you put the nest box in the cage, it is a whole new experience for her, so she still may lay an egg outside the box. And I totally agree it could just be this clutch will only be one egg. Let her keep the egg and set on it for the 17-21 days, if she doesn't lay any more. If you get to the hatcing stage the eggs hatch every other day just as they are laid every other day. Also, you can candle (take a pin light flash light and look into the shell to see if you can see the embryo) the egg(s). Nature has made hens to know exactly the time to abandon the eggs if there are no chicks in the shells, or if for some reason the chicks may have died. Personally, I would leave the eggs in the box for the entire incubation time. You can search incubation time for budgies on the web as well.

I would be sure to have a cuttle bone and mineral block in the cage. Do you feed any fresh veggies at all? And if you are not feeding a pellet diet, but only a seed diet, you could get a small bottle of birdy vitamins in a pet shop or bird shop, and put a couple of drops in the seed cup (not water cup because it can go rancid and make them sick), about every 10 days to assure she is getting plenty of nutrients to keep her healthy. Egg laying is very stressful for any bird hens, so keeping both the male and female healthy is a top priority.

I have bred budgies myself. So here is a little info for you. Once the hen has laid all of the eggs in the clutch and starts to seriously set on them, the male is not allowed in the box. She will keep him out of the box, but will come out of the box to eat and drink. You will know that the first egg has hatched or is about to hatch when you see the male jump into the nest box. By then if you put your ear up close to the box and listen carefully, you will be able to hear the peep peeping of the baby chick. The male will feed the babies, and the female will keep them warm and viable.

It may take a clutch or two (no matter how many eggs laid) for the hen to gain some experience to get the whole process to succeed. If she does lay any eggs out of the box, you can carefully pick them up, and try not to put any more finger prints on them as possible. She should then nest that egg.

I hope to see your posts often. Welcome to the forum. And do keep us updated on how things are going. And do not lose heart if she only lays the one egg this time around. Just watch her carefully, as Linda shared with us, to be sure she does not get egg bound. Basically egg binding often times is due to the hen needing more calcium to make the egg shell hard so she can push the egg out. Good luck and I hope you will get to experience the eggs hatching. It is an awesome experience.
    Last edited by maxollie; 05-20-2014 at 06:15 PM.

Name
    Linda
    Thanks

Great and informative post, Ellen!

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks

Thank you Linda. You also post some great replies! Hope your flock is doing well! Have a great evening!

Name
    Linda
    Thanks

My flock is doing well and happy that it's Spring. Lots of birdies outside to talk to! Enjoy your evening as well, and greetings to your flock!

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

thank you so much. your answers really helped. I'm pretty sure my hen is not egg bounded and i think this is going to be her only egg for this clutch. today she was suppose to lay her third egg but she didn't, so i guess that's it for this clutch. Also, when should my budgie start her next clutch?

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks

Since she is new to egg laying, it really is difficult to know when she might lay another egg. Generally, budgies and other parrots lay eggs in the Spring and Fall or late Fall. However, it seems that over the last few years, I read more posts of bird owners who are finding their hens laying eggs the year around. She will set on this only egg for the 18-21 days, or perhaps a fewer days depending upon when she abandons them. After that time, if she and the male mate, or she gets "hormonal" again, she may start another clutch. Your main goal is to keep her and the male in tip top health by giving plenty of calcium (cuttle bone and mineral block), and perhaps some fresh veggies.

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

ok latest update! my hen just laid her second egg today! I think she just laid it right now. OMG i can't believe it! i thought she was done for the clutch. anyway, this egg was laid 4 days after the first one. she was actually suppose to lay her third egg today, but this is her second. any idea why she did that?
    thanks

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks

She is new to egg laying so it is normal that this happened. Also, have you seen her mating with the male? it is quite possible that this could be a "second clutch", that she has started. And, it also just could be a "second clutch" that her hormones are dictating to her. This is behavior that can often happen with new hens. It is great the second egg was laid and you did not experience any issues with egg binding. That is great!

So now, you start again. Mark down the day she first laid this egg. Also, if you can tell the difference between the new egg and the old one, then you can take a pen or a pencil and on the new egg mark a small #1. For any other eggs that are laid in the clutch mark them 2. 3. 4. .5. , etc. et. You do not need to mark the first egg she laid. It is still possible that egg could hatch if it is fertile, but in my view the one laid today is a new clutch.

If the pair were mating, it is possible this clutch will produce up to 5 eggs, sometimes more, but usually 4-5 is about standard. Did she lay this egg in the nest box?

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by maxollie View Post
    She is new to egg laying so it is normal that this happened. Also, have you seen her mating with the male? it is quite possible that this could be a "second clutch", that she has started. And, it also just could be a "second clutch" that her hormones are dictating to her. This is behavior that can often happen with new hens. It is great the second egg was laid and you did not experience any issues with egg binding. That is great!

So now, you start again. Mark down the day she first laid this egg. Also, if you can tell the difference between the new egg and the old one, then you can take a pen or a pencil and on the new egg mark a small #1. For any other eggs that are laid in the clutch mark them 2. 3. 4. .5. , etc. et. You do not need to mark the first egg she laid. It is still possible that egg could hatch if it is fertile, but in my view the one laid today is a new clutch.

If the pair were mating, it is possible this clutch will produce up to 5 eggs, sometimes more, but usually 4-5 is about standard. Did she lay this egg in the nest box?

thanks maxollie! that was a really helpful post. Yes, I've seen them mate a lot. In fact, they've mated everyday since the first egg. so I guess its possible that its her second clutch. Also, she laid all her eggs in the nest box. Since she laid her second egg on Wednesday, I can expect the next egg on Friday right?

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks

Yes, it should be Wednesday. On occasion, the hens will lay their eggs at night as well. This is encouraging news, because it seems she is "into" being in the nest box when she laid the egg. It is entirely possible the first egg may also be viable. Time will tell. It usually takes hens a little while to finally settle down to setting on the eggs. So don't be alarmed if she is out of the box quite often and still mating with her partner. After all of the eggs in the clutch are laid, she will soon get into the box and stay there except for coming out for a short time to eat and drink. And you can bet she will keep the male out of the nest box. During the incubation period he will spend time playing with toys, or mirrors, and eating and drinking as though he were an "only budgie".

I've had budgies in my home from time to time for over 50 years. And I've also had cockatiels for about 10 years. Parrots and all birds are created by the Universe/God/Spirit to mate, lay eggs and hatch chicks. It is quite normal for the pair to mate every day. In fact, if the eggs hatch, the parents will take care of the chicks, and feed them and keep them warm. But their main goal will be to get those babies out of the nest as soon as they can crawl out of the nestbox. And then they will begin the process all over again. It really is educational to see how breeding works. I truly did not know that was how fast they would get back to mating again after the chicks were hatched.

Finally, I would not be too concerned if she lays the second egg on the 3rd day rather than the 2nd. But after the 3rd day, then in my view, perhaps there will only be the one egg in this clutch.

I'll be looking for updates.

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

great news! my bird laid her third egg today, this afternoon. looks like she is back on track!

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks

Yaaaayy!! Now we will see how many eggs she will lay in the clutch. Thanks for the update!

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

Ok, so I'm pretty sure my budgie is done with this clutch. she laid total of 4 eggs, with second egg four days late. Anyway, her last egg was laid on may 25th. so far only one egg looks fertile, which is due on June 7th-10th. Really hope it will hatch. anything I can do to help? Also, what type of food should I put in the cage for parents to feed their baby? can baby budgies swallow/breakdown seeds?