where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thread: I am working on trainning Frodo.. and family seems impatient

Hatching
    Name
    Tarryn
    Thanks

I am working on trainning Frodo.. and family seems impatient

Mum keeps going on when Frodo screams, so does my sister and dad. ITs not going to change that quickly, trainning takes time and mum has been ruining it by going into my room to give him fruit when hes protesting for attention. Not suppsed to do that.
    Because of this mum thinks hes brained damaged, and thinks I'd regret my decison and I don;t. I'm patient

Hes been improving slowly in other ways. Think my sister dislikes him, because shes like no more birds to mum (not my sisters choice, nor mums really) And she barely realized some screaming is normal. She wants to be a vet and yet I dont think she loves animals as much as she claims, Not after she ingored her cockatiel to point hes mine.

I know a parrot screaming can be annoying, But I am used to it and I'm patient. Thought family would be more than this, No wonder hes not getting used to them if they dont even try!

But I think I'm doing well, I dont want him to get attached to me only, but don;t feel like family is helping me there. I enjoy having Frodo around and feel attached to him. I'm going to keep working at it and told them to try ingore the screams. BUt I dont really even care if he screams or not, I just know it can be bad behaviour when they do it alot to get attaching, trying to train him for everybody elses sake.
    To me family is annoying not Frodo. But I know I am getting somewhere since it is quicker to get him out his cage mostly and he lets me stroke his back now.

I dont regret my decison. Wish mum stop going on about why he doesnt talk, not all parrots will and it takes time to train him. I know mum was just in bad mood today as well and partly taking it out on me and my decisions and Frodo.

Name
    Clive
    Thanks

Re: I am working on trainning Frodo.. and family seems impatient

If he is calling when he is on his own! I feel that is normal, if he was used to having people around. Any chance of moving his cage out where he can interact with the family. This way he becomes part of a flock. You may find that is a lot happier then and will not keep calling for someone. And it could work well for him and your family.
    When shut in your room, he will be able to hear your family and maybe calling to them as he wants attention.
    R.I.P my little ones.

Hatching
    Name
    Tarryn
    Thanks

mmm was gonna get a bigger cage that would have to go elsewhere Eventaully, House so small so not many safe places. I worry about the dogs more than cats... since they harrass the cockatiels non stop and dont trust them.
    Mum did suggest moving his cage upstairs just when I am around.

Hes by the window in my room. I read sometimes by a window not always best , But would have to rearrange things. He likes being involved , so maybe living room might help.
    He didn't freak out at two of mums friends last week. But Yeah think he could only be in living room when home. One my dogs is very stubborn and alot his problem jealousy .

I am sure I can fix this. I can see he will be great bird and more patient than family.

But yeah should see if can find way to move cage, Have a black one. But its too small i think even if just when hes upstairs and my sister bent the door>>

Name
    Adam
    Thanks

Havent been on in a while just checked in !! but training a bird ... what i do best . it takes time patients and willing to keep going even when it gets frustrating. The key is to stay calm and never to reward with a bad behavior beucause just that once will change his/her thoughts for good.

I don't recommend the window, the temp fluctuates to much and could cause the him/her to get sick and if it gets to hot or cold to die, not only that but they see all of the interesting things outside like all the colors and the light and its more likly for them to fly off or get "home sick" i guess you would call it , but not really that more like they get depressed because they want out there.

Keeping in ideal places is always the best for training a bird to do what you want, when he likes his area he will be more susceptible to doing what you would like him to do, because he isn't focuses on what he wants any more because he will be happy and he will pay better attention because he isn't depressed.

one more thing to add, when not training or playing keeping him/her in the most active place is always the best, that way they get to interact with everything that's going on,...... WHAT WORKS AWESOME is when your doing your everyday things like, cleaning cooking or watching tv keep him with you, socialization is the best while still in the training phase of his life, but always when his is with you doing your everyday thing through in there treats when he does something you would like him to do.

if you need anything else like advice or questions just reply here

Hatching
    Name
    Tarryn
    Thanks

Mum put the cage by window. I do close it when its too cold. He actaully cant fly... When I got him I was told he pulled out all his flight feathers and damaged the folices in the past, but its winter here, and even if the cage is heavy , I decided to move it just now, as was going to today. I dont know if moving him away from window would make him quieter, I heard they sleep better when not near a window though.

But yeah I have patience its just the family 0-0

I still am unsure what treats he likes. Since he likes some of them sometimes, o.o I have a variety.

Remove Ads