Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: My Tallulah Needs to Gain Weight

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,268 Times in 1,267 Posts

Re: My Tallulah Needs to Gain Weight

In my view the only ingredients that jump out of the label would be the 40% max fat, as well as the yeast extract. The instructions and overview state this formula is for baby chicks as well as birds that have been sick (ill). And at this point in time, by reading your posts about the Vet not saying anything about her weight, as well as of the fact she is six years old, rather than a baby bird, for my own opinion, I would be a little concerned about feeding it. Yes, it is convenient and it is the sprinkles. And I understood you to say that your budgie has not been diagnosed with an illness. The yeast extract for me is a concern because of the possibility of her getting Avian Gastric Yeast disease. The fat content (even though it is vegetable) is a concern for me because of the fact that too much fat "can" cause fatty liver diease.

As I always say, each caregiver must decide what is best for their little birds. These are just my own thoughts and opinions to pass on to you.

Name
    Aggy
    Thanks

Yes, she isn't "sick", but I would feel better if she were 10-15 grams heavier. I thought it would be a way to fatten her up since she's not touching anything new I've given her to eat. I don't know what to do... I guess I'm feeling a sense of urgency, but maybe I shouldn't since she seems well otherwise. I certainly don't want to make things worse for her. I still plan to go to the bird supply store tomorrow because they may be able to recommend something.

Thanks, Ellen. You've given me a lot to think about.

Booger, Max, Molly & Tallulah

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks

Perhaps you could also call your Avian Vet and explain to them about your concern for her weight, and ask them if they would agree to giving her one or the other of the supplements you have purchased. Do you have confidence in the Vet you took her too? Would you ever consider getting a second opinion on her health from another Vet in your area?

Teenager
    Name
    Bill
    Thanks

Spray millet will work. It is fattening, but birds love to eat it. Ask in a pet shop what they can suggest. Always there is someone that works there that knows a lot about birds and their health and diet.

Name
    Aggy
    Thanks

Thank you, Bill. I will give her millet, that is something she does eat and enjoys.

Ellen,

I'm waiting for the vet to return my call but I did pick up the AviGain because it was highly recommended and used by the people at the bird supply store with good results. If the vet says it's not a good idea, I won't use it. If she says it's safe I plan on giving her a small amount and weigh her daily. If I could get her to 40 grams I would feel better than I do right now. I do like our avian vet and trust her. I don't feel, at the moment, that I need a second opinion. I'll post again once I speak with her. Thanks again.

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

The AviGain does seem to have lots of vegetable fat in it so I too would have to wonder how good it was for a bird just because I know too much fat in a diet will cause them liver problems. All the other ingredients sounds like it is all good stuff.

Ellen birds do not get Avian gastric yeast or even candida from eating yeast they get it either from another bird or eating fresh fruits or other foods that have spoiled. I think Boomer got sour crop from eating his avicakes that got wet and sat around overnight. I did not notice they were wet until he got done eating them and after that he ended up with sour crop that might have been the reason his body got AGY. Speaking of avicakes or even nutri-berries have you ever tried giving Tallulah these because they are high in good fats and are super good to eat for lots of birds. If you go to the Lafeber web page, http://lafeber.com and send them a email they use to send out a samples to try on your bird. They do have a little sugars in there foods but birds do seem to love them. Boomers vet always use to give Boomer both of them when we went to see her until he got his yeast issues and he could no longer eat them.
    Fly Free Boomer, we will forever love you.

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks

Quite incidentally, the Lafeber Company is only about 50 or so miles from where I live. They are a good company. I do not feed lafeber because in my view it has molasses in it, and to me that is sugar. I don't give my birds sugar or salt either in their seeds or other treats.

The reason I had spoken about the yeast is because I have read some posts who say not to feed their birds bread due to the yeast content. I have fed both of my birds whole wheat bread for years and have never had any problems.

It is good that you can trust your current Vet and have a good relationship with him/her. I hope that sprinkling some of the AviGain on her food will be successful.

Name
    Aggy
    Thanks

I spoke with my vet and she looked up AviGain online while we talked. She said her only problem with it is the carbohydrates in it. She said she found birds don't do well with too many carbs. She thought the fat amount was fine since I am trying to fatten up Tallulah. She suggested Sunshine Factor, which they sell at the office. http://store.harrisonsbirdfoods.com/...roductinfo/SF/ I picked it up and it smells a little like BBQ sauce. I'm to mix 1 tablespoon to 1 pound of her seed mix. BTW, she weighed 47 grams at her last visit, so her weight loss is significant.

I'll check back in with updates to let you know how she is doing. Thank you to all of you that gave me wonderful advice. Best wishes to all!

Name
    Aggy
    Thanks

Deanna,

I gave her Avi-cake the other day and she ignored it. I have tried it in the past and she wasn't a fan but hoped she would eat a little. Thank you for the info on getting samples. Maybe there is something else she may like that they sell. Take care.

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

Wow that is a lot of weight to lose for a little bird so hopefully you can either fatten him up a little bit or figure out why he is losing so much weight. I was hesitant on the avicakes and nutriberries because of the sugar so I just fed them to Boomer up until he got sick as a treat and he loved them. The sunshine factor sounds great, honestly all the Harrisons products are excellent products and I am happy your vet recommended it to you.
    Fly Free Boomer, we will forever love you.

Remove Ads