Contact | Tour
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Baby budgie hatched!

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

Baby budgie hatched!

So, some of you guys know that my female budgie laid four eggs but only one was fertile. that fertile egg hatched yesterday, at about 2:00pm. since then, It has been chirping for most of the time.IS it normal for them to chirp that much? Also, I don't have bedding in the nest box but there is a concave. Will the chick get splayed legs? Should I put any nesting material in there? If yes, then which material is the safest?

Sorry, that's a lot of questions at once, but I'm really worried about my baby budgie...

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,250 Times in 1,249 Posts

Re: Baby budgie hatched!

Oh...... Congratulations! I'm soooooooooo happy for you. I presume the dad is in the box helping to feed the baby. And the mom won't be out of the box much at all for awhile. It is very normal to hear the baby chirping. Isn't that the most precious sound? In my view that indicates it is healthy and so far doing good. I did not put any bedding in my nest box when my pair hatched the four chicks. At the time I had read on-line that budgies do not like to have nesting material in their nest box. They "perch" little pieces of wood off that concave so they are comfortable setting. I understand your worry about splayed legs. Since there is only one baby, in my view, the chances are more reduced because there are not so many babies in the box for the parents to take care of, and they should be moving this little guy around a little bit.

Some folks do like to put some nesting material in the box after the chicks hatch to help them have a cushion when laying down if you will. Hopefully someone who has experience with that option, may stop by and give you their opinion. But in my opinion I would not use the nesting material. Have you peeked into the box as yet? Does the box have a lid you can look inside? Personally, I did not look into my nest box, because I had read it was not a good idea. But I do know some folks look into the box and even handle the little one. I did not do that either.

If you choose to look into the box and check the baby, you need to be looking at the baby, (not having to pick it up), and see if its little crop (the esophagus if you will) is full. It will look like a little pouch. That is because of the food they are feeding it. And you need to look for the feet to be light pink or light grey in color. That would indicate the baby is not dehydrating.

The first few days are the most intense, and each day that goes by and the baby is alive, it is a real plus. If the father is doing a good job of being in the nest box with the hen, then I think you have a great chance this baby will live.

You sure did a great job for your first time breeding. Do keep us updated. And again. Congratulations!

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

Thanks Ellen! you reply really helped me. Everything seems ok but the father is not going in the nest box and only mother is feeding the baby. It shouldn't be an issue because there is only one baby to feed right? Can the mother handle that or should the male be helping? Also, I heard that the father starts feeding when the baby is about 2 weeks old. Is that true?

Name
    Clive
    Thanks

With splayed legs I think the problem can occur when the young has nothing to push against in the nest those first few days, maybe a week.
    And this in more than likely due to just one baby in the nest. So material or something the baby can push on like the old eggs, dummy preferred, as the old eggs can get broken and this could cause a bacteria explosion.

When there is a complete clutch, they have each other to push off.
    R.I.P my little ones.

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

I am happy you finally have a egg that hatched. I cannot answer your question about splayed legs and only came here to say congrats to you.
    Fly Free Boomer, we will forever love you.

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

Thank you so much for your replies guys! I left the 3 infertile eggs in there and the chick usually leans on them. I've never seen him lying down on his stomach. Also, I put a small piece of millet in there and the mother ate it all and gathered all the seed shells where the chick is. would those seed shells work as nesting material for now? Thanks again

Name
    Clive
    Thanks

"would those seed shells work as nesting material for now? Thanks again"

No sorry they are way to small to make that much difference.
    I do not like advising on nesting material.
    As different birds like different things, and you are at a point where we do not want to upset mum and dad.
    And it too late for her to build it to suit her.
    So be careful what you choose and only add a little at a time.
    Pine shavings are not a good choice from what I have read.
    Dried grass, like hay maybe ok.
    But if I was doing this I would of done so way back, not now.
    I have some say you can put a couple of Mabels in there, about the same size as the eggs. Or you may find wooden beads that could be used.
    Just whatever you do watch her reaction, if she excepts Ok, if she gets agitated remove.
    I am assuming you have a good relationship with them! That is very important when messing around with their nesting.
    R.I.P my little ones.

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

hi, first of all, thank you everyone for your replies Sorry, I haven't updated in a while. Anyway,my baby budgie is almost 2 weeks old and is doing fine. It has already grown some pin feathers! I can't really tell what colour he/she is going to be, but the pin feathers look black and white. The mother is yellow with green on her back and on her chest. She also has dark brown lines on her wings and some on her head. the baby's father is blue, with white wings, head and tail. he also has some very light black lines on his back and his head. Based on this information, what colour do you think the baby budgie be? And when is it possible to tell the gender of the budgie?( I need to name it!)

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks

I'm sooooooooo happy to read that the baby is doing fine. From what you have written, it sounds to me like the baby has a combination of both parents DNA/genes. (of course they do have both parents genes, but sometimes they look very similar to one or the other parent). I had four babies budgies one time, and two looked exactly like Mom, and two like Dad. There are some beautiful mutations of budgies these days. If you are interested in seeing mutations, google to a website called: Budgie Place. On the top of the page there is a link to click on . . mutations. That will show you how many different possibilities there are.

In my view it is too early yet to know exactly what the baby will look like. In the next two weeks, you will see a rapid change in him/her. The feathers will be growing out fast and he/she will grow in size quickly.

As to the gender, it is too early as yet to know. Generally, budgies' gender can be determined in a few months after the bird has fledged. Or you also can go on-line and get a DNA sexing kit for budgies. If you just google those words, you should come up with some websites. Also, an Avian Vet, or regular Vet would be able to do the test. Either of those tests are not harmful to the bird, and the results come back fast.

We love pics here, so sometime if possible, post some of the parents and the baby. You might wish to wait for another couple of weeks until the baby has more feather coloring. On the other hand, I'd love to see them now, AND in two weeks! (lol) You probably can tell that I LOVE BIRDS, and especially budgies and tiels.

Thanks for the update.

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

Thanks Ellen! I will try to post some pictures soon of the parents and the baby. Also I wanna teach this baby to talk and do some tricks. when would be the best age to do that?

Teenager
    Name
    Bill
    Thanks

That is great, to see a baby bird hatching and being born. Post some photos if you wish on the babies progress.

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks

Well, as they say . . "the world is your oyster" so to speak when it comes to teaching him/her to talk and do tricks. I would say when he fledges (has learned to fly) you could begin some training and teaching. In my view budgies are very intelligent birds just like cockatiels and other parrots. My little budgie, Muffin, has learned to make the sound of a clock . . . tic . toc. . tic. toc. I have a cockatiel, Sunny and he loves to dance back and forth on his long wooden perch. So a few months ago I made up a little tune that I whistle, as well as singing it, and I put that tic toc sound in the beginning and end of my song, never thinking Muffin would pick up that sound. After a couple of weeks of me doing this "dance routine" with them, I was sitting here one morning in my recliner, and sure enough, I heard Muffin making that sound. I also say to them, ' what cha doing", and Muffin can say that as well. He will sit on his swing and jabber away.

One great place I have found to see folks training budgies and teaching them different tricks, etc. is Youtube. Just search for budgie training on Youtube. Or teaching budgie tricks on Youtube. There are some really neat little budgies on Youtube, that you will enjoy. They definitely listen to you when you are talking. I never thought my Muffin would say what cha doing, let alone make that tic toc sound.

As long as the parents are o.k. with you picking him/her up and holding him/her, you could probably begin doing that before long. If they don't like it, they will let you know for sure. If you have a strong bond with them, more than likely they will not care. By picking him/her up at such a young age, most likely the budgie will be stepping up and be quite tame by the time he/she fledges or shortly after.

I will say that baby budgies are fast as lightening. If you think out of cage time for the parents is cool, wait until you let the baby out to fly. I had quite a time catching the four babies I had. They all went every which direction. And of course their favorite perch was a high curtain rod that I could not reach. (lol)

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

Thanks guys! I am thinking of training the baby at 3 weeks. Anyway, I just heard the baby budgie squawking. It was like little screaming. I'm pretty sure that the mother is not hurting the baby. Is it possible that the mother is not feeding it right now? I read somewhere that when babies are a bit older, they are not fed at all at night. Its night here right now. so is it possible that the baby is not being fed and is begging for food? please help! I'm really worried about the baby.
    thanks

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks

I'm sorry I did not get to your post last night. And I hope the baby is doing good today. I have not heard of the parents not feeding the baby at night, but that is not to say that you have the correct information.

I do think that noise was a "I'm hungry" noise. Hopefully, since your post, he/she has been fed, and had no other problems through the night.

The baby is getting bigger now, and most likely, he is eating more than when he was first hatched. (I'll just call him he). Do you see the dad eating more than usual. Does the mom stay in the box most of the time but does come out and eat and drink on occasion?

In my experience, I found that the parents will do all they can to scurry, if you will, the baby out of the nest box, just as soon as possible. They want the baby to be out of the box, and to fledge (fly). And the main reason for that is nature has created birds to mate and procreate. And the parents are what I call "selfish" to some degree, because they want this new baby chick out flying and being on its own, eating and drinking and being just like any other budgie.

So it is great you are watching and listening. I would say this baby will be out of the nest box within a week or ten days. They may still keep it in the box for a few days longer, but I remember the four of mine came out of the box every other day, just like when the eggs hatch, and once they were out of the box, they spent most of the time on the perches. The parents did keep them in the box at night for a few days, but once they get out of the box, they basically are considered to be able to be on their own if you will. Once the baby is out of box, you can start feeding seeds and millet (you can get millet sprigs in a pet shop or pet store)to him in small amounts. He may even eat the millet off the sprig. Hold the sprig in one hand and see if he will pick some of it off the sprig. Millet is a great food for baby budgies and other budgies. It has good nutrition (although a little fat, but in my view will not hurt the baby), and moisture in it as well, in case the baby doesn't drink water at first. I would also encourage the baby to drink water as well. The parents probably will still feed him for a short while even when he has come out of the box. But that time will be limited, in my view.

Thanks for the update. I will say a prayer that the baby is doing fine today.
    Last edited by maxollie; 06-21-2014 at 08:40 AM.

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

Thank you Ellen! you have always helped me in these times. One thing is really unusual though. my female budgie's poop suddenly tuned orangish. i dont know why its like that. she is acting perfectly normal, eating, drinking and also feeding her little baby. Also, she recently started eating the vitamin supplement block that i put in her cage. It is orange, and she eats it a lot. can it be that? or is it something else? please answer as soon as possible. I'm really worried about her.
    Last edited by Chirping; 06-21-2014 at 10:30 AM.

Remove Ads