where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thread: Help Needed

Brand New Egg
    Name
    George
    Thanks

Help Needed

I posted this question earlier but but couldnt find it in the conures forum.

My Echo is outside of his cage from when I get up til I go to bed. He is around me while I am on the computer like he is right now.

Echo had his wings clipped when he was younger, but once he started to fly he got out the door one day and I was told my bird is alive due to the fact that he could fly. Im in the country so we do have Hawks etc.

Echo was always in the basement, flying from end to end. He is now making his way to the top of the stairs. Echo does not like my wife. He has bitten her that she is now scared of him. If my wife tries to walk by him, echo would walk towards her in a pekking manner.
    I have put him in his cage when she comes downstairs.

I was told to get his wings clipped or put him in his cage. I had to do something about this bird. I dont thing either is the correct approach.

I was thinking of buying a Hawk sticker and stick it on the wall on the top stairs, that should stop him from flying up the stairs.
    Hopefully you members can help me in clipping his wings or some other advice/recommendations about him going after my wife.

Hope this helps

George.

Name
    Clive
    Thanks

Re: Help Needed

Hi Echobird.
    Welcome to the forum.
    If Echo is bonded to you he may see your wife as a threat and is trying to keep her away.
    Barbara Heidenreich has discussed this subject at many of her workshops she holds.
    I gues it is how your wife feels and if she would like to become a friend. Is she a bird person?
    And it does take things like role reversal. And would mean her looking after Echo while you take a back seat to what is going on.
    At one time I had a Eastern Rosella that would attack almost anybody who came with-in range, and hunt them down. (stalk them, before attacking).
    On top of that he was super cage aggressive. No! I did not cure him. As I was a lucky one who he bonded to, so he let me live.
    As for getting Echo clipped, if you look around you will find I am against this treatment.
    These are my thoughts only.
    And in this case it may stop your bird attack your wife, but may impact on the birds attitude in general.
    R.I.P my little ones.

Brand New Egg
    Name
    George
    Thanks

Thanks Clawns
    You are correct my wife is not a bird person nor is my son but my son still interacts with Echo. Echo used to go after my son and would bite him but now that he interacts with Echo, Echo seems to not go after him.
    I am so used to Echo being loose and flying around that I dont want his wings clipped, just not necessary. This is why I am on the forums to see what other bird knowledge is out there that may have a clever alternative to clipping.
    I am certainly going to take your advice as I agree to the same thing. I will be looking for a sticker so that I can have it on the wall so he doesnt go out the door one day.

Name
    Clive
    Thanks

And don't forget you can tell your bird off for doing the wrong thing. It is just how you go about it.
    You have to be careful not to reinforce the action.
    I like to refer it like this. If in a flock situation if a bird did wrong the others would say so.
    A quick time out that only lasts a min or two can work. But it must be the instant that the action has taken place.
    So a bit of training for both of them.
    R.I.P my little ones.

Remove Ads