where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thread: Budgie pair. .??

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Oshin
    Thanks

Budgie pair. .??

Hello. .I has purchased a budgie male later on I brought a female budgie for him...
    They are in same cage sitting at a distance of a inch...
    Sometimes male tries to preen her but she moves back..they occasionally lock beaks. The male makes sweet noise while bobbing head..
    They have been together for about 5 days. .is there any possiblity of bonding between two for breeding .also the female sometimes squeak at male..
    please help asap and also help me conform their gender. ..
    https://m.facebook.com/photo.php?_e_...0%2C9275888269
    here is a pic
    thank you

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,256 Times in 1,255 Posts

Re: Budgie pair. .??

I can't seem to access your photo. Generally, budgies should be at least 1 1/2 to 2 years old before you breed them. The word "breeding" sounds easy, but it is far from easy in breeding birds. There are so many things that have to go together properly for one to get to the stage of hatching chicks.

Since it sounds like you are interested in breeding, I would suggest you go on-line and google budgie breeding. There are many websites that will give you great information about the process. Your pair has to be in tip top physical health as well. And they need to have a good diet of seeds, cuttle bone, vitamins, and other fresh foods like veggies.

Do you know how old your budgies are? If you just got them as babies, then generally they do not become hormonal until they are between 9-12 months of age. You could go to photobucket and upload some of your pics and then post them here on the forum. Hopefully I would be able to see them that way.

Wishing you a wonderful journey with your new budgies.

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Oshin
    Thanks

They are 4-5 years old.

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks

O.K. Thanks for that information. Then I would say, if you are interested in breeding them, do research about breeding them as I suggested, and then see what might happen. I am not sure in your beautiful country whether in fact they have nest boxes like we have here in America. If you don't have nests made with wood, then I would imagine there would be nesting material you could use to make them a nest. Here in America we use the wooden nest box. It is four sided and generally it has a lid on the top that you can lift up so you can see the pair as well as the chicks if the eggs hatch. I did some reserach myself before I bred my pair of budgies, and from what I read, budgies do not like to have nesting material in the nest box. The hen perches (shaves off) some of the middle of the bottom of the nest box in very tiny pieces and uses that for the nest. The only concern that a breeder would have without the nesting material is that if there are several eggs that hatch, then without anything soft for the babies to lay on, there is always the possibility of the chicks having splayed legs. That definitely would be something you would want to avoid. I have read that some folks put in a small amount of nesting material in the box after the chicks have hatched. That seems to be agreeable to the hen.

Good luck on your journey with your budgies. And do keep us posted on how things are going with them. And if you do decide to breed them, I would love to read all about your success, or your concerns during the process.

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Oshin
    Thanks

what about bonding between them..?? they seem to be bonded..??
    I have put a wooden nestbox that you talk of..but they don't go near it..
    any suggestions

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks

The nestbox will encourage the female to get hormonal. It may take some time for that to happen. There are different conditions that need to be met. The time of the year is one condition. I would not know for sure in your environment when those times would be. Here in America, generally it is Spring and Fall when bird hens lay eggs. However, it seems that here I am reading of hens laying year around. So, I cannot say what may happen with your pair.

Time is always on your side. I would watch to see if they decide to mate. If that happens, then you are likely to have the hen lay eggs. Do you know if this hen has ever laid eggs before? If not, then hens who are not experienced in laying eggs need some time to adjust to the process. If they do mate and she lays eggs, do not be surprised if she might lay them off the perch, off her swing if you have one, or even on the cage floor, before she ever decides to lay them in the nest box. If this were to happen, and the eggs are not broken after she lays them, you can gently pick them up and put them in the nest box. That might encourage her to go into the nest box and roll those eggs around in there and she might proceed to set on them. Hopefully, if that were to happen, she would then lay her eggs in the nest box instead of other places in the cage.

And like humans, not all birds are attracted to each other. Some will be "friends", but may never mate. I would just sit back and let nature take its course and see what might happen. In the meantime you can educate yourself about the breeding process.

Name
    Clive
    Thanks

Mid winter to early spring should be the right time. But as Maxollie has said captive birds do not always comply with this.
    It is because thier body clocks are out of sync. You can look to up their vege and fruit. I always believe breeding is timed to softer foods being available for feeding the young.
    So seeds winter, soft foods summer. Pellets???????
    There ages are good, so if they do decide to mate there is a very good chance of eggs. But you will see them mating way before this and also looking around at nest sites. Sometimes it better to offer more than one nest. Even the nesting material may make a difference to how they except or decline what you offer.v bbA Z
    R.I.P my little ones.

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks

When I bred my budgies, it was purely by accident! I had four males and had purchased what I thought was another male in the early Spring. That year, right around Christmas time, I had left my home for a few hours, and when I came back home, I found that my birds had been sparing with each other, so much so, that Pete had a broken toe. I had no clue what that was all about, but a few days later, I had the great shock of my life . . . Niki and Buttercup (who I thought was a male), were now a "pair", and were mating. So, I took them out of the cage all of the budgies were in and gave them a separate cage. I purchased a nest box in the next couple of weeks, and immediately, the hen started to use the box.

All birds are different, and perhaps my pair just happened to get it all together faster than an average pair. The nest box was put in the cage about the 1st of January, and by the 15th of February there were four baby budgies. It was still very cold here in the Midwest (USA).

As I had mentioned, I did not use nest material. I think that is up to the breeder/caregiver. But from what I read, budgies do not like nesting material. I appreciate Clive sharing that you possibly offer more than one nest. That is good education for me because I had not read or heard of that information before.

Remove Ads