Tailfeathers
Contact | Tour
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Budgies laying eggs - possible colors of babies?

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Kristina
    Thanks

Wink Budgies laying eggs - possible colors of babies?

Good afternoon,

I've had my male budgie for about 2 years now...

and awhile ago, I got him a friend, Lucy

I bought them a nest box and put it on the cage, and just let them get to know each other.

Well, Lucy has started laying eggs. Since I got Ricky, I've done tons of research on breeding and owning a parakeet just so i'm informed.
    I do have a few questions:
    I've bread canaries before, and with canaries, you candle the eggs 5 days after the mom has incubated them (I usually do 5 days from the last egg laid). How does candling work with parakeets? I know that they lay eggs every other day, and can lay around 5, give or take some. Should I not candle them and just let Lucy sit on them and see if they hatch? This is her first time.
    For a first time mom, should I expect her to lay an average number of eggs or less than average?
    I have not seen them actually mate, but I do see Ricky feed Lucy quite often and he preens her and they do their little flirt thing back and forth.
    Also, since he's a blue parakeet, and she's a fancy yellow parakeet, should I expect the babies to be certain colors?

Any help is greatly appreciated!!

I took this photo on 7/6 in the evening.

I took this one 7/8 in the evening.

I took this one this morning (7/9) before I left for work, she was moving when I took it, that's why her head looks blurry lol

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

Re: Budgies laying eggs - possible colors of babies?

How exciting for you they laid eggs and I honestly do not know anything about eggs or babies so hopefully someone else will be able to answer your questions. Thanks for the pictures, the eggs are so tiny I would be afraid to pick them up to candle them.
    Fly Free Boomer, we will forever love you.

Name
    Clive
    Thanks

Candling works just as well for them as the ones you have done.
    The timing is not that important as long as it it 6 to 7 days after she has started to incubate them.
    As it is her first time it is only guess work on how many she will lay.
    You should find away to keep the eggs together, as when they hatch they will need each other or the eggs to push against.
    Not that I know much about Budgie nesting at all.
    I am hopeless with mutations.
    R.I.P my little ones.

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,271 Times in 1,270 Posts

I can't seem to view the photos, but I'll respond to your post. I love the names you chose for the pair. I was a I Love Lucy fan years ago!

As to the candling, I agree with Clive. Sometimes it takes the hen awhile to begin setting on the eggs. In my breeding pair, I found that the hen really didn't get serious on setting on them, because being her first time of nesting, she was rather sporadic with the eggs. And it took her awhile to get serious with her setting. (probably a week) As I had posted in another of your threads, she would lay eggs most any place, or right off the perch. As long as they are not broken, and you see no pecking marks or any other marks that would indicate they might break in the nest, you can carefully pick them up and put them in her nest. Are you using a nestbox, or are you just letting her set on the cage floor. Personally, I would get a nestbox because it is much safer, the environment is much better, and in my view you have a better chance of the eggs hatching.

With a small egg like a budgie egg you would need to use a pen light flash light to candle them, but i expect you did the same with your canaries, so that would not be a question that needs to be addressed.

A great website to see different budgie mutations is Budgie Place. On the home page toward the top you will see the link, "mutations". Click on that link, and then you will find great information and pictures of many different budgies. Since you have a blue budgie and a yellow budgie, I think you could have some very interesting mutations. There are many too see on the web page.

As to the number of eggs, my hen laid four eggs the first time. I think you could get upwards of seven, but that may be quite a few for the first clutch.

I will continue to try to view your pictures. In the meantime, since you did such a great job with your canaries, I have a lot of faith in you and feel you also will succeed with your budgies.

Name
    Clive
    Thanks

That's strange Maxollie about the pics and you not being able to view.
    Try this link
    http://s281.photobucket.com/user/tin...AM1-1.jpg.html

So No eggs in nest box. She laid on the cage floor

I don't know where you heard this one over there. It was an add and everything was on the floor. So when someone asked where something was the answer was
    "It's on the floor"
    R.I.P my little ones.

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks

Thank you so much, Clive, for giving me that link. If you were speaking about my pair, my hen laid a couple of eggs off the perch, and I then got the nest box. Of course those were broken. If I recall correctly, she laid another egg or so outside the box. I put them in the box, and never knew how many eggs were in the box because I had read to leave the pair and the nest box alone. So, I was in suspense until all had hatched and the first one looked out the nest hole one night. I was completely over the moon when I saw that little yellow face of that baby budgie. I now see the picture of the hen and her eggs! Is that not the sweetest picture. She is a beautiful budgie. She reminds me alot of my female, Buttercup. My male was all yellow. I ended up with four sweet babies. Two looked like Mom and two looked like Dad.

From looking at that picture you sure could have some interesting looking babies. Takes me back to the excitement I had from day to day with Buttercup setting on her eggs, and Nicki having to stay out of the nest while she was setting. That is something you will find interesting. The male does not go into the nest box until the first chick has broken out of the pipped egg. And then, he jumps right in the box and starts to help feed the chick.

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Kristina
    Thanks

Gosh, I posted this earlier in the afternoon, and was really surprised to have so many comments by this evening! You all are great!
    She's laying the eggs in the nest box. I've had the nest box attached to the cage since I adopted Lucy, and over the last month or so I noticed that she was getting in it and stirring up the pine shavings, but I was really surprised to see eggs this weekend!
    Deanna, I was really nervous with my canary eggs the first time or two that I candled them but I was with an experienced breeder who has helped me learn a lot about canaries. It surprised me that the parakeet eggs and canary eggs are pretty similar in size!
    Clive and Ellen - I will wait about a week and a half before I start candling the eggs to see if they're fertile or not.
    Ellen - Lucy seems pretty determined to spend as much time on her eggs as she can. She comes out of the box most times when I'm in the room they are in (even though they are still not 100% comfortable with me) but whenever I go in, Ricky is always sitting close to the box and Lucy is in the box sitting on the eggs. I will peak open the top and she will glance up at me to see what's going on. She has always had an interest in the box since it has been on the cage.

Gosh, if I missed anything to reply to, just let me know!! Again, wasn't expecting so many and so indepth replies at once! Thank you all!!

Name
    Clive
    Thanks

Whoops!
    Wrong.

Sorry I missed the eggs were in the nest box. I thought they were on the cage floor.
    It is a large floor area for them.
    R.I.P my little ones.

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Kristina
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by clawnz View Post
    Whoops!
    Wrong.

Sorry I missed the eggs were in the nest box. I thought they were on the cage floor.
    It is a large floor area for them.
    Yep, eggs in the nest box. I checked this morning, still three eggs but she looks like she's getting ready to lay another one this morning.
    Will update when I get home tonight if there's another one.

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Kristina
    Thanks

So she laid another egg today. Unfortunately, I accidentally dropped one of the eggs while trying to pick it up out of the nest box and am back down to three
    Oh well, these things happen. Isn't the first time I've broken an egg, probably wont be the last time either.
    On a brighter note, I believe the egg my canary is sitting on is fertile, so I may have a baby canary in a few weeks!

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks

Yes, it does sound like Lucy is determined to do her nesting. And Ricky definitely has to stay out of the box. He can sit close by, but no in the nesting box for him until that first egg pips and the chick starts to pip itself out. Then he will hop right in that box to help feed the babies.

I remember so well hearing that tiny little cheep, cheep of the first baby. I think that was when the egg shell was pretty much broken so the baby could get out. You know, I always think of how marvelous and awesome nature really is. And I feel that once you experience something as simple as a bird egg being hatched, or a human baby being born, you realize even more how precious life really is. Like you, I am super interested and excited to see what mutations you may have from this pair.

Could you share with us a little of the behavior of the canaries when they mate and when the hen sets on the eggs. What is the male's behavior during that period of time? Does the male canary help feed the babies?

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Kristina
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by maxollie View Post
    Could you share with us a little of the behavior of the canaries when they mate and when the hen sets on the eggs. What is the male's behavior during that period of time? Does the male canary help feed the babies?
    Generally speaking, I've been told to keep females and males apart in off season. Males are more solidarity, and are generally kept in cages by themselves, but may be kept in large flight cages with other males. Females can cohabit a cage together usually without problems. Canaries make great pets for people who just want to have one bird that they do not have to take out of the cage and interact with.

When breeding season comes around, male canaries can become aggressive towards other males and will start to sing in search of a mate. If males are kept in cages alone, usually they will sing all year round. Females, when they start to come into season, I've noticed will start tearing paper out of the bottom of the cage, and if there's no nest present, will begin putting nesting material or paper into their food dishes.
    Time to pair up and put a nest in the cage!

It usually takes the hen a few days to build a nest. During the nest building time, the canaries will begin mating. Then egg laying begins. The average I've seen for a clutch is about 5. The hen should lay one egg every day until she has laid her clutch.
    Some hens with not start sitting on the eggs until they have laid 2 or 3, but my hen usually gets down to business right away. During the beginning of the egg incubation period, the male may feed the hen sometimes, but usually this behavior does not start until the end of the incubation period. He will usually just hang around in the cage and do his normal day to day bird thing.

About 5 to 6 days after the hen has laid her last egg, I will remove the whole nest and candle the eggs. If all the eggs are infertile, I will toss the whole nest lining with the eggs. If at least one of the eggs is fertile, I will put the whole nest with all the eggs back into the cage so the hen can continue her incubation.

About 14 days later, little baby chicks start to hatch! Since the eggs were laid one day apart, usually the babies will hatch one day apart as well.

For the first week or so, the male with feed the hen and she will feed the chicks. I've rarely seen the male feed day old chicks, unless the hen happens to be off the nest for a short break. After a week and a half or so, the mom will not sit on the babies as much, as they are starting to get very big! At this point, dad will equally help mom feed the chicks. Usually around three or four weeks the chicks start to fledge the nest. Around this time, the parents may start getting ready to nest again.
    Around 30 days, I usually move the babies into their own cage as they are eating seed on their own. If you leave the babies in with the parents, they will continue to be fed by mom and dad.

This is all from my experience and what I've gained in knowledge since I started breeding.

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Kristina
    Thanks

So I made a final candle on the eggs today. They defiantly aren't fertile, so I took out the eggs and the box.

How long should I wait before putting the nest box back on the cage to let them try again?

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

Sorry you did not have any fertile eggs. By what you say I am sure your two budgies will lay more eggs and next time hopefully they are fertile. I do not know anything about breeding so I have no clue when to put the nest box back in there but I would think that the Mom needs to rest a little bit between laying the eggs.
    Fly Free Boomer, we will forever love you.

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks

Did you keep count of the days since your budgie hen, Lucy, laid the first egg. My thought would be that until the hen abandons the eggs, even if they are not fertile, I would not want to remove the nest box and the eggs so quickly, because all bird hens need to be able to go through the complete number of days (21) is budgies I believe, setting on the eggs. If a hen is not allowed to set on the eggs and abandon them herself, often times the hen will almost immediately get hormonal and lay another clutch (batch) of eggs.

I would continue to give her plenty of calcium, and watch her in the next couple of weeks or so to see if she lays any more eggs. If she begins laying again, then you could put the nest box back in the cage. If she does not, I would most probably wait until the end of August, or early part of September to put the nest box back in the cage, because fall is usually a time of year when budgies mate and the hen lays her eggs.

Remove Ads