Contact | Tour
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thread: Mosquito repellent

Name
    Lillian
    Thanks

Mosquito repellent

I am very allergic to mosquitoes (to the point of having respiratory problems), and yet I don't want to cause problems for Mannie so I won't use repellent. The problem is I cannot go outside at all without getting bit so... I am thinking of making an organic repellent using garlic, red pepper, basil, lemon balm, and some leaves from my citronella plant. Do you guys think this would be safe for me to use around Mannie. Thanks in advance for your input.

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,250 Times in 1,249 Posts

Re: Mosquito repellent

I would suggest that you do a google search for "safe plants and toxic plants" that can be used around conures and other parrots.

Personally, I would be concerned about the citronella plant for sure. Another suggestion is to go to a Wal-Mart store and look in the insect pesticide department for a spray bottle of "Eco Smart". I just came upon this pesticide a couple of weeks ago. I have spiders and other insects outside my front door, and since there are no steps up to my front door, they crawl right under the screen door, and somehow they all gravitate to me!

This particular product has ingredients of peppermint oil, clove oil, and rosemary oil, along with a very small percent of a safe chemical. I do not use it in the house, and I spray it outside my front door on my stoop and sidewalk about every other day of an evening. It is very potent, and you don't need much of it at all. The bottle says it is safe for all pets, but I would not take a chance to spray it inside with my birds. However, it has really worked for me in that I no longer have any insects coming in my house under the front screen door. It just might work for you if you are just going to be out and about your yard and perhaps your porch if you have one where you sit. If you were to decide to use it as a repellent, I would spray a few hours before you go outside, so you won't be overwhelmed by the smell. It is not a chemical smell. It is a combination of the 3 oils that give it the smell, and I do not smell chemicals at all.

Our member, Deanna, has posted many times about using grapefruit extract for so may different household needs. That might be one you could use on your skin. I do know they put that extract in Ajax dish soap. You also could get a small bottle of it at a health food store.

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

My sister just bought me a starter kit of essential oils from the young living company and I am just beginning to see how many great things I can use them for. I read that peppermint oil is a great Mosquito repellent. You add a few drops of peppermint essential oil to a carrier oil (olive oil will work) and rub it on or I also heard you can mix it with water and shake it up good and spray it on you using a spray bottle. I also read that if you plant peppermint and spearmint in your yard this will keep the mosquitoes out of the yard too.

Before my oils I used chemical sprays to keep them off. We live in the mountains and the mosquito's are wicked up here so I bought me some Cutter Advanced spray. It is made with Picaridin which is chrysanthemums and other chemicals and this works good for our mountain mosquito's. I use to use it when Boomer was here but made a point of always washing it off when I came into the house and held him. It probably was not good for Boomer but I needed it because at the time I never heard of using peppermint oil as a repellant. As long as it is pure Peppermint essential oil I do not see why it would hurt Mannie. Just to be safe I still would rinse my arms, neck and hands off before handling him.
    Fly Free Boomer, we will forever love you.

Name
    Lillian
    Thanks

as far as i have found in my search all the ingredients listed seem to be safe and non-toxic to birds. I was just wondering about the citronella as well so I think i will leave that out. but i think i might add some vanilla. anyone else?
    Btw I use the Eco-smart in my garden..it works for most pests but not the mosquito

Name
    Lillian
    Thanks

hmmm.... peppermint oil i will try that too

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks

I mixed peppermint oil and clove oil together this past winter, and put several drops of it on a jar lid, and put it under my bed, to help keep the spiders out of my bedroom. I also took some of that oil and dabbed a couple of pieces of cotton with it and put them in the corners of my bedroom near the base heaters. I have electric heat, and insects love to live in them in the winter. I have not a clue how all of them get in here in the winter. But they sure do. I have decided I just "manifest" all kinds of insects because I am a naturalist and they all gravitate toward me!

Name
    Lillian
    Thanks

lol I thought it was me spiders and other creepy crawlies just love me...... they can sense fear and disgust.

Name
    Addie
    Thanks

Thanks for this! I'm really allergic to them too! I get fever, respiratory issues and I swell up like a balloon where I get bit! And I'm scared to use this with my bird too. I may or may not be moving out soon, to a house that has A LOT of mosquitoes so I found this at a rather nice time! Haha. Thanks. (:

Name
    Lillian
    Thanks

Well I made some and guess what, it works, I had to reapply every hour but I only got bit once in 3 hours of outside time yesterday evening. I could see the mosquitoes flying around me but they were not landing or biting. If anyone wants my recipe let me know and I will post it here.

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks

Well, I think they all just want to be my kids!!

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

Please do tell us what you mixed up to make it because I too would love to use some here as well.

Name
    Lillian
    Thanks

I used 5 large cloves of garlic crushed, 6 basil leaves, 6 lemon balm leaves, 1 tbls of dried catnip, 2 tbls red pepper flakes, one sprig of rosemary, and several leaves off my mint, add all of this to 2 quarts of boiling water.
    Boil until reduced by half. strain through cheesecloth and then add 2 tbls of pure Vanilla extract. Allow to cool completely before using. Apply heavily and reapply hourly.

I loved the smell of this in my house while cooking.

I am looking for ways to make the effects last longer...maybe adding some oil? Any ideas?

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

Thanks Lillian. Oil might just make it stick to your skin and possibly stay on you longer. I am going to have to get out to the store and buy some of these ingredients so I can make my own spray.

Remove Ads