Tailfeathers
Contact | Tour
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thread: Thinking about getting another bird...

Name
    Tayla
    Thanks

Thinking about getting another bird...

So I realised recently that I'll be finished with university in about three months (eeek!) and going out into the big wide world. As I'll probably be working a 9-5 type job next year, I've been thinking about getting Romy (female tiel) a friend. If I do decide to get a second bird, I'd like to get him/her quite soon, while I still have a lot of free time and can spend some time ensuring that the two can bond. I've read quite a few threads on the topic, and I know that there's no guarantee that they'll definitely be friends. But even a little bit of company from the other side of the room will be better than nothing for Romy.

Originally I was planning on getting a second female tiel, but recently I've been considering getting a smaller bird like a budgie. I already have a budgie cage, so I could keep the two in separate cages and let them out for supervised play-time. I probably wouldn't keep them in the same cage, as I've read that budgies are quite energetic little things and can sometimes 'bully' tiels. My dad also kept a tiel and a budgie together when he started working, and he said they got along 'too well' - he was left out of the birdie bonding

Opinions? Budgie or tiel? Could a budgie cause hormonal behaviour in a female tiel if they bond? Do budgies and tiels get along? Are female budgies any noisier than female tiels (as I'll probably be living in an apartment block next year)? Any and all opinions/information will be useful!

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,264 Times in 1,263 Posts

Re: Thinking about getting another bird...

Personally, if I were you I definitely would consider a budgie. I've homed budgies for years, and they are very hardy and loving little birds who love their toys, swings, mirrors, their food, water, treats, etc. etc.

I have a budgie and a tiel. Each is in a separate cage, but the cages are setting close together, and my budgie, Muffin, simply loves my tiel, Sunny. In fact, Muffin has learned to make most every sound and noise that Sunny makes. They do chatter some back and forth. I don't know how they would get along flying out of cage together. However, I feel you could give each of them some out of cage time separately if they do not get along out of cage. I feel they will get along out of cage.

I have found that tiels and budgies do not get along too well in a cage together. I think tiels are more independent, and often are frustrated by budgie behavior. Budgies are not noisy, they are more of a "chattering" bird. They have a much softer sounding voice than tiels do.

I feel like I have the best of both worlds of my little parrots. I love both budgies and tiels and I have one of each. I think your reasoning is right on the money. You have plenty of time in the future to consider having another tiel.

A pair of tiels, in my view, take more time and effort. And if you were to get a male, then the hen could lay eggs. (although a hen can lay eggs without a male in the home). As to Romy becoming hormonal because of a budgie in your home, I cannot answer that question for you. Perhaps someone else might have that info.

Good luck, and be sure and post some pics, when and if you get a new little friend for Romy.

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

My budgie isn't energetic until he's out his cage or wants to go out his cage but I think its because he's not quite used to home yet. Normally in his cage he sits on his swing chirping quietly when music is on and he's being talked to but when he wants letting out he screeches and climbs around. But last night he was playing with his bells so I reckon he's getting used to home now

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,264 Times in 1,263 Posts

It does sound like he is getting quite familiar with you and your home. Budgies love their mirrors, their swings and toys with bells. My budgie, Muffin, has to "mirror girlfriends" . . Bailee and Pearl!! They do adapt well to their cages if they can't have out of cage time. I would say Barry is probably a bit tired out after his out of cage exercise, so he will be a little more quiet when he gets back into his cage.

Name
    Tayla
    Thanks

Thanks for the feedback I've heard a lot about budgies being very playful birds. My tiel is quite quiet and prefers snuggles to playing, so I'm not sure how she'd respond to an energetic little feather ball living next to her! :P but she does need company, and as long as they don't share a cage I'm sure she'd appreciate having another bird around during the day. I'll have to do some more research and find out if there are any breeders in the area. I know that our local petshop sometimes has budgies, but I'd rather get from a proper breeder if possible.

Remove Ads