Contact | Tour
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thread: Will they breed?

Name
    Lili
    Thanks

Will they breed?

I bought a female budgie last week and a male budgie a couple of days ago, today they've been playing together, preening and I witnessed storm trying to mount jewel. She pushed him off and squawked at him aha. Later today I noticed the both of them were hanging around the best box and going in it. Right now I have it on the bottom of their cage so I'm going to put in outside properly soon bit I'm not quite sure how. Could anyone help with that? Also neither of my budgies seem to be in "breeding condition" but since they are going in their nestbox and probably mating will I be ending up with any bubs soon?

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,262 Times in 1,261 Posts

Re: Will they breed?

Breeding birds, no matter the species is no easy task. Personally, if I were you, I would go on-line, and search for breeding budgies. And I would read all of the information I could find and get myself educated on breeding before I would ever attempt to breed budgies, or any other parrots.

There are many things to consider when breeding. How old are your budgies? Budgies should be at least 1 1/2 years old before one ever tries breeding them. They need to have a special diet for breeding, and they also need lots of calcium and a mineral block. Cuttle bones are a must to have in the cage. And the diet needs to include seeds as well as fresh veggies and fruits.

Further, the hen can get egg bound and die. Egg binding means that the hen cannot push the egg out and then it gets stuck inside of her.

These are just a few of the problems that can happen when one breeds birds. If I were you, I would take the nest box out of the cage, let the two of them get used to each other, and put the breeding on hold for a period of time.

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Thanks

Will they b

According to Muslim beliefs, Islam, any living being is "religious". It means anything living, animals, humans, vegetations, they are all submitting one way or another to God

Remove Ads