Contact | Tour
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thread: I still have her tailfeather

Name
    Tracy
    Thanks

I still have her tailfeather

I still miss Birdi Lou so much. I had plucked a tailfeather the morning she died, before I buried her in the back yard. I did not mark the site with a grave marker, but I still look at that spot and think of her when I'm out there.

The tailfeather is taped to my computer monitor, next to one of Malcolm's (who is alive and well, but lonely) so I can still hang on to a part of her.

Here are the two of them in December 2013, content together in the sun that was shining in the window:

Not looking for more condolences by posting here (we've already done all that, and I really appreciated the support and understanding from the people on this forum while it was all happening), just really wanted to share the picture of their two tailfeathers together.

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,256 Times in 1,255 Posts

Re: I still have her tailfeather

The picture of the two is sooooo sweet! And it is so appropriate you would keep the feathers! Thanks for sharing your thoughts with us.

In life and in death, we will love our little birds forever into eternity and meet them at the Rainbow Bridge. They will accompany us on the journey to "Glory"!

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

What beautiful feathers both of them have and I love that they are on your monitor so you can admire them whenever you are on your computer.

Losing a loved bird gives you this terrible pain in your heart and soul and even though time makes it better you will forever miss them. Hugs because I remember the first few months after Boomer died and that was something that took me by surprise because you do not realize just how much you love them until they are gone.
    Fly Free Boomer, we will forever love you.

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Melissa
    Thanks

beautiful photo. I am so sorry for your loss. <3

Banned Brand New Egg
    Name
    Maggidon
    Thanks

I just happened to come upon your future posting Birdi-lou. Oh how my heart aches for you. There can be no greater pain when one loses a plump little birdie. A friend of mine (dousa) lost her birdie and she was hanging around the bridges for a while. She's better now but I'm sure she would understand your present crises. My oh my.

Thanks

Our very first Cockatiel was only with us for one week before he died a week ago (Sept 2/16).
    In just one week, we loved him so much......
    We had a nice little burial for him in our front yard in a brand new garden my husband just made. We will put a rose bush over him.
    It occurred to my husband and I later on, that we should have plucked a feather from him! Im so upset we didnt think of that before.

Name
    Tracy
    Thanks

I'm just seeing the newer posts on this thread now, as I haven't been on this forum in a while. I see I posted this two and a half years ago. The feathers (hers and Malcolm's) are still taped together to my monitor as seen in the above photo, and I still miss Birdi Lou and always will.

But Malcolm is no longer lonely; since I posted this I've acquired two more male cockatiels, and Malcolm is very happy in his little flock. He has really come out of his shell and loves to explore with them, whereas when I got him, he was a terrified bird, and only dared to go anywhere beyond the top of the cage after a year, and only if Birdi Lou was there too.

Name
    Sammy
    Thanks

Great idea the feathers on the monitor. I am going to bring some of my late birdie's in to work now too.

I don't know if you guys have a children's book called "Koala Lou" by Mem Fox over there - it was one of my favourites as a kid, and me and mum fought and cried over it when I moved out (she won, she still has it). In it the mum always says to her, "Koala Lou, I DO love you!" and every time I see "Birdy Lou" I think "Birdy Lou, I DO love you!" Sorry had to share. It's a great book. This paragraph will seem very strange to anyone that hasn't read it, but anyway.

I'm glad Malcolm has come out of his little feathery shell and is exploring and enjoying his new companions!

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

I think it is a very sweet thing to say Sammy. I have a feeling Tracy is going to be thinking the same think now even if she has not read the book.
    Last edited by boomer girl; 01-23-2017 at 09:13 PM.
    Fly Free Boomer, we will forever love you.

Name
    Tracy
    Thanks

The name Birdi Lou came about in a funny way. I was trying to decide on names and thought she was a boy, and Lou was a popular sports figure right around that time (everyone cheering for Louuuuuuu!!!!). Then someone told me she was a girl, and how to tell, so I figured Lou could be short for Louise too. Then my mother called up and asked how Birdy Lou was doing, and it stuck. My dad (divorced from my mum years ago) was dating a lovely Finnish lady who told me the Finnish spelling would be with an "i" only as in Birdi, not Birdie or Birdy. My dad was quite taken with the Finnish lady and suggested the spelling. So from then on she was Birdi Lou, and I always would say to her, "it was little Birdi Lou Who....who was no more than two." (From the Grinch).

Name
    Sammy
    Thanks

Definitely a name with a story! Love the Grinch reference.

Remove Ads