Tailfeathers
Contact | Tour
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thread: My Male budgie won't bond with any Female budgie. Please help!

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Mahad
    Thanks

My Male budgie won't bond with any Female budgie. Please help!

Dear friends,

I have this male japanese crested budgie I've had for almost a year now but it does not bond with any female. When ever a female budgie comes near the male, it will fly away and go sit with the other males.

Please give me some suggestion. Thanks in advance.

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,341 Times in 1,340 Posts

Re: My Male budgie won't bond with any Female budgie. Please help!

Hi, Mahad, and welcome to the community. I'd love to see a picture of your budgie. I've never seen a Japanese Crested Budgie before. Are you absolutely sure that this little bird is a male? That is one possibility. You can have them DNA tested, and you can go on-line and get a test kit. I do not think they are very expensive. And it is quite easy to do. I believe it is the matter of removing some feathers and sending them back in the kit they provide.

Are all of your female birds Japanese Crested as well? Another thought I had was that maybe they are a different species of budgies. That could be a reason why the bird flies to sit with the other males.

And, you know, like humans, birds are simply not attracted to every male, or every female. Maybe this bird just isn't into mating with other birds right now. It is still quite young. Generally, i would not breed budgies until they were at least 1 1/2-2 years old. Just my own opinion. And if you are interested in possibly breeding, before you get started, I would strongly suggest that you go on-line, read books, and do tons of research so you can get an idea of how the breeding process works. It may seem easy to just say I am going to breed a pair of budgies. However, it is a very intent process, and many things can go wrong along the way to hatching the chicks.

You also could find a local Avian Vet and have them do a DNA test for your budgie. That also would let you know whether you have a male or female.

Hope to see you often on the forum. And I'd also love to see a pic of your flock all together!

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Mahad
    Thanks

Hey Maxollie,
    Thanks for the reply. Well I'm sure my budgie is a male and above a year of age reason being when I got it he was 6 months old and I've had him for almost a year now. I've bred many species of budgies in the past 3-4 years but this particular bird doesn't seem to be interested in mating, I have kept him with japanese crested as well as normal females but no luck, He just flys away and sits alone in a corner. I'm not sure what to do, Please help

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Mahad
    Thanks

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks

In the picture, has he been feather plucked on the back, or is that just his feathering that might be falling because of molting? You know he is a very beautiful budgie, but to me he does look quite thin. Of course, I've never seen Japanese budgies so maybe they are supposed to be thin.

Does he eat and drink like all of the others? Is he somewhat isolated from all of the birds, even though you say he does mingle with the flock. Did you get him from a breeder, or a pet shop? One thought I have is that perhaps when he was hatched and transported to a pet shop or a retail store (if that is where you got him) he was either bullied by bigger budgies, or something or someone really scared him.

I purchased my budgie, Muffin, from a pet store. He was soooooooo afraid when i first brought him home, he would not even step up to his food or water cup, to eat and drink. And if he did, he was always looking all around as if to wonder if another bird or birds was going to either knock him off the cups, or maybe peck on him. He is the only budgie I have and is in a separate cage from my cockatiel. He also was very afraid of anything dark in color. Even after almost 2 years being here, he still does not like my dark blue laptop, and as soon as he sees me getting it out and ready to surf, he immediately stops whatever he might be doing, jumps up onto his swing, and just sits watching me, and the dark blue computer. So, usually, I take a wash cloth or hand towel that is light in color and put it on the back of the lid of my computer. Then he will get off his swing and go back to playing with his "mirror girlfriends, Bailee and Pearl" (lol) All birds have to have a boy or girlfriend, right? (lol).

And another thought is, maybe he may be what I call a border line "special needs bird". Maybe in the breeding chain of events, something went wrong with his development. It could be DNA that produced it, or maybe there was some sort of event, such in the environment, such as the hen leaving the eggs and not setting on them properly (which in my view is very rare for a budgie hen), or the temperature was too high or low in the home, etc. etc. Looking at him, he does look rather "distant". I cannot explain it any other way. It seems to me we had a member a few months ago, who also is a breeder and had a chick that wanted to be alone and away from the flock.

What kind of diet does he have? I would presume he is eating and drinking well. He really is a beautiful little guy. Very long and lean, but maybe that is how Japanese budgies present.

I am hopeful someone will see your posts and post some thoughts for you as well. I really am at a loss to give you any other advice. Do stop back often and let us know all about your flock and this little guy as well. Like you, I am sure it is a male, and it does look to be about 1 1/2 years old or so. If you did get him from a breeder, you might consider making a communication with the breeder and ask if he has had chicks that do seem rather withdrawn and distant. If so, it could be DNA related.

And finally, if you wish to, go to the member list and search for "Boonze". She lives in Australia and is a breeder. There should be a thread where she discusses having one little budgie that seems to not want to mingle with the others. Also, her posts are always very interesting. She has posted some gorgeous pictures of her flock.

Wishing you the best with your little guy and your flock. I hope this information is somewhat helpful to you.

My baby Baylee I <3 U!! Baby ChesterHannah2010's Avatar
    Name
    Maria
    Thanks

Baylee SF Violet D Turquoise female white faced lovebird
    Dylan[color="darkolivegreen"] Skyblue DF Yellowface 1 Greywing male budgie
    RIP Kiwi my baby boy i love You! Fligh high!

A lovebird has the soul of a larger parrot in a small body.

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Mahad
    Thanks

Yes Maxollie, The feather were plucked by one of the females. I got him from a breeder, he does seem to eat and drink like the other birds but does not mingle with the other flock. Whenever you place your hand into the cage it will hop onto the hand and ignore the rest of the flock. He will act normally with other types of birds like cockatiels and lovebirds but will avoid its own type's females. I'm clueless why. The other budgies bought with him are doing fine but I'm not sure what to do with this one.

Here is a cobalt spangle japanese crested pair
    http://picpaste.com/IMG_4668-mLKmIcnT.jpg

Rainbow & Cobalt spangle males
    http://picpaste.com/IMG_9609-IuvoS615.jpg

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks

They all are very special budgies! And you have a nice flock! It looks like some of those other budgies have also been plucked. Is there any chance the lovebirds are plucking them? One thought I have for you is to go to a health food store and get some "wheat germ oil", in a small bottle. It needs to be the oil with no other ingredients or additives in it. Then about once every 10 days or so, put about 2-3 drops of the oil in the seed cup of the birds. If you have several seed cups, then do the same with each one. Or, in the alternative, get some wheat germ ground (the seeds), and put about a teaspoon in each food cup, mixed with the seed about once a week.

Wheat germ is very good for the skin and feathers. In my view it also is very good for plucking because when birds pluck, the skin gets irritated and dry. This should help the feathers to grow back in. I am also thinking, that the other birds could be plucking themselves. If that is the case, then perhaps they all are intimidated by the lovebirds.

I would suggest you get a small cage for the little guy, and let that be his "home". He can still fly free and interact with the other birds if he wants to, but I think this little bird has alot of "anxiety", and plucking indicates to me that other birds most likely see that he is "shy" and "isolated" to some degree, and therefore they are plucking him. I would put the little cage close to the other cages, but would consider that little cage to be his "home", and no other birds should be in there. And at night, I also would put him in that small cage. He needs to have a place to live where he feels more at ease. You might be surprised if you try this method, that he will open up more, and be more playful, sing and chirp more and be happy.

And another thought is, generally, lovebirds do not get along well with budgies and cockatiels, because they are a very high energy bird, and can be somewhat aggressive. Perhaps this little guy also feels intimidated with the lovebirds. As to cockatiels, they really don't pay much attention to budgies, and I think sometimes they are annoyed with them, but as long as the budgies interact with each other, I don't think tiels pay much attention to them.

So, those are my thoughts for today. If you do decide to get a smaller cage to put the little one in, do let us know how that works. I would set it up with a swing, a mirror or two, a toy or two, and the food and water cups, and keep the cage doors closed if he is out free flying, so that other birds cannot enter into it. It will be "his home"! No visitors! (lol)

And sometimes, birds just don't like each other. Female budgies can at times be somewhat aggressive, but usually it is if they are all together in one cage. Males don't have as much aggression. They "spar" with each other sometimes, but not to the degree that females do. I once had a pair of females that were constantly fighting with each other, and shoving each other around, picking at each other, and being pretty mean.
    Last edited by maxollie; 09-03-2014 at 06:01 AM.