Tailfeathers
Contact | Tour
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thread: A possible solution to your plucking problems - Switch to Tinkerbell Mash

Thanks

A possible solution to your plucking problems - Switch to Tinkerbell Mash

A possible solution to your plucking problems - Switch to Tinkerbell Mash
    Morning with Harry & the decision// Sultan of Oman Palace// Tinkerbell Mash Batch 7
    http://shanlung.livejournal.com/109957.html

If there are no underlying medical reasons for the plucking, and your birdie is given lots of emotional and lifestyle caring, it might be with the diet. This is even more likely if you are feeding pellets to your birdie. The pellets have additives to allow long shelf life.

Read
    Hand of Clod //3 hour and day old Mash // Outdoor hide&seek recalls
    http://shanlung.livejournal.com/115814.html

Extracted from above

Here is the list of the common additives found in pellets.

Ethoxyquin: Is listed and identified as a harsh hazardous chemical by OSHA. It was originally used to preserve rubber. This is not allowed in human food and some feel it is not a chemical that they want in their bird food. The FDA has asked manufacturers for voluntary reduction in its use in pet foods and is in the process of deciding whether or not to ban the use of it altogether. Birdís bodies can not get rid of it like a dog or cat and it then builds up and causes problems. Ethoxyquin promotes kidney carcinogenesis, significantly increases the incidence of stomach tumors, enhanced bladder carcinogenesis and urinary bladder carcinogenesis. Cancers of this type are the most lethal and fastest acting, the swiftest effects being seen among animals.

Artificial Colors: Most people are aware of toxic side effects of artificial colors and flavors from coal tar derivatives such as Red #40, a possible carcinogen, and Yellow #6, which causes sensitivity to fatal viruses in animals. Artificial colors DO cause yellow feather discoloration in Eclectus.

BHT/BHA: These petroleum products are used to stabilize fats in foods. In the process of metabolizing BHA and BHT, chemical changes occur in the body. These changes have caused reduced growth rates and they inhibit white blood cell stimulation. In pets, they can exhibit reactions such as skin blisters, hemorrhaging of the eye, weakness, discomfort in breathing, a reduction of the body's own antioxidant enzyme, glutathione peroxidase and may cause cancer. According to Dr. Wendell Belfield, DVM, a practicing vet for some 26 years, both BHA and BHT are known to cause liver and kidney dysfunction and are banned in some European countries.

Propylene Glycol: Used as a de-icing fluid for airplanes, this chemical is added to food and skin products to maintain texture and moisture as well as inhibiting bacteria growth in products. It also inhibits the growth of friendly bacteria in the digestive system by decreasing the amount of moisture in the intestinal tract leading to constipation and cancer. It can affect the liver and kidneys and causes the destruction of red blood cells.

Salt: Added as a preservative, salt can irritate the stomach lining, cause increased thirst and aggravate heart and kidney problems through fluid retention.

Sodium Nitrite: Used in the curing of meats, this substance participates in a chemical reaction in the body that becomes carcinogenic. It is used also in pet foods to add color.

Sugar and other Sweeteners: The most common sweeteners in pet/bird foods are beet sugar, corn sugar, molasses and sucrose. They are used as preservatives and have the side effect of creating sugar addicts in pets. They require almost no digestion and are rapidly absorbed into the blood stream. These will provide sugar highs (just as humans experience) and subsequent lows (moodiness), inhibit the proper growth of friendly intestinal bacteria and they virtually shut down the digestive system while being processed. Sugar can also contribute to diabetes and hypoglycemia, cataract development, obesity and arthritis.

I have so many people writing to me that ever since they changed to Tinkerbell Mash that their birdie stopped their plucking.

See how Tink Mash is made, and perhaps you might like to change too.

Morning with Harry & the decision// Sultan of Oman Palace// Tinkerbell Mash Batch 7
    http://shanlung.livejournal.com/109957.html

Even my kitties are eating a form of Tinkerbell Mash.
    With raw mince kneaded inside as well.

They love it.

For the birdie.
    The baggies must be kept in the freezer, with one thawed baggie in the fridge.
    I feed about 25-30 grams of mash mixed with chopped vege salad/fruits in morning.
    Another feed of 25-30 grams of mash mixed with chopped vege salad/fruits when I get back for lunch.

This was later changed to 60 grams of mash mixed with chopped vege salad/fruits left for the entire day (see further down below)

In addition some sunflower seeds/almonds/fruits placed in foraging points as well as used as treats for Riamfada.

(see below for foraging points)
    Riamfada foraging // 3 days 2 nights at Wadi Bani Awf and ending of this chapter
    http://shanlung.livejournal.com/107799.html

I believe the mash can remain good for the entire day. At least in Riamfada's room kept at 24-25C.

Read the report done on 11 & 14 June 2010 and you decide for yourself.

Month of soccer // Cyclone Phet & Riamfada neighbourhood hide & seek // Mash eating
    http://shanlung.livejournal.com/115514.html

Hand of Clod //3 hour and day old Mash // Outdoor hide&seek recalls
    http://shanlung.livejournal.com/115814.html

See also the making of Tinkerbell mash batch 8
    with changes and further improvement on batch 7
    Iceland and Goldman // Jebel Akhdar // Tinkerbell mash batch 8
    http://shanlung.livejournal.com/114545.html

see the making of Tinkerbell Mash Batch 9
    with changes and further improvement on batch 8
    Pakistan//mind of parrot//Tinkerbell Mash Batch 9//Riamfada pulling up cup//Villa walkabout
    http://shanlung.livejournal.com/119016.html

and kitty mash as well
    Pakistan//Tinkerbell Kitty Mash//Dommie at the beach Ramadhan 2010 //Villa walkabout 2
    http://shanlung.livejournal.com/119237.html
    Warmest regards

Shanlung
    山 龍

http://shanlung.com/

Name
    Clive
    Thanks

Re: A possible solution to your plucking problems - Switch to Tinkerbell Mash

Well done Shanlung.
    I am on your side, with what I have found out about pellets.
    The trouble is some professionals and the makers claim How Good they are and bird owners are not taking care of their birds well if they are not feeding these.
    Shame on them for sure lies and bull----.
    But like all good marketing, it sucks people in. And at the expense of our birds well being and health.
    R.I.P my little ones.

Name
    Helen
    Thanks

Although I agree that some pellets are bad - I think it's much like breakfast cereals - some are good, and some are total and utter junk. There are some pellets which are graded to human organic - and that's by British standards which are some of the highest in the world.

So I think for some birds, they are a good option. But then again I'd never by those brightly coloured scented kibble things I've seen in some shops. But equally, I wouldn't eat sugar, salt and corn syrup covered breakfast cereal that's rainbow coloured either lol

Thanks Lee for the adorable sig!

Thanks

I find it frightening the way people in white coat, using their mythical authority as people that know promote commercial bird food.

Up to recent time, and even now, companies have/had been using the additives in their birdie (and kitty) pellets to promote long shelf life.
    In any vet office, you will probably find a huge section of their front office selling those birdie/kitty/doggie pellets , or promoting that directly in hard sell like above , or indirectly on their display shelves .
    Some companies might even have stopped using those additives, using other kind of additives that they claim are safer. Just how safe I do not wish to discuss.

To me, that they used such additives in their birdie pellets in the past make it difficult for me to dare to trust them even into the future not to talk about the present now.
    Should Madoff get a Presidential pardon and out of jail and set up a Madoff Bank in future, will you put your money again in Madoff Bank?

Again your choice to do so.

Or your choice to see in above how Tinkerbell Mash is made and think of doing similar stuff for your birdie or kitty or doggie.
    Warmest regards

Shanlung
    山 龍

http://shanlung.com/

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,250 Times in 1,249 Posts

Thank you Shanlung for posting this information. Like Clive, I am on your side as well! I respect all bird owners, and they must make their own decisions and choices about the foods and seeds they feed their birds. But I feel that anyone who has chosen to do research about bird products, including pellets, need to have their voices heard as well.

Name
    Clive
    Thanks

It is not so much the short term use of pellets that may lead to problems, . It is the long term use and the build up of things the body does not need everyday, and cannot excrete, and this applies to a very large number of them. That is showing up the longer these foods are around.
    Sure there maybe the odd good ones out there! And short term use may no do any real damage. But they are still dried foods, and birds do not eat dried foods in the wild, so why would we even start to think we can feed them in captivity, without some issues. Feeding dried foods means they have to adapt. We have not managed to domesticate them, and how many years have we been trying?
    R.I.P my little ones.

Remove Ads