Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New to the nest!

Puddin' Princess Brand New Egg cootiepie's Avatar
    Name
    Rika
    Thanks

Smile New to the nest!

Hiiiii.

I'm Rika. I've had two green canaries for a little over three months or so, male and female. Their names are Frankie and Doris. A month ago, the two of them began showing nesting behaviors so we decided to get them a nest. Almost immediately, Doris began to lay eggs. They were duds. BUT! About five days ago, we discovered a baby bird in the nest! However, he appeared to be a bit malnourished.

The guy at the local pet store assured me that everything would be alright and showed me how to hand-feed and raise the little baby. Since then, "Wiggles" as I've nick-named the baby, has been doing MUCH better.

Almost instantly I fell in love with this little bird. He/she is such a blessing to me. Because I've been solely raising the baby, I don't intend to return it to the main cage with the parents until he is at least a month old. I'm positive that my scent is on the bird and I wouldn't want the parents to reject, attack or try killing him. IF need be, and as I'm already using a separate cage for the baby, I'll keep him there. Which I have no problem in doing.

ANYWHOOOOOOO!

Here's MY cootiepie:

Wiggles the baby canary.

And here's his/her bumbum. Hopefully one of you guys can tell me if it's a boy or girl. LOL

Wiggle's bumbum.

Name
    Clive
    Thanks

Re: New to the nest!

Hi Welcome to the forum.
    You seem to be doing a great job. I would not think about returning him to the main cage until he/she is fully weaned of. Then should do ok in the cage.
    I am not up with Canaries, but we do have a very good member, so hopefully he sees your post and is able to help you.
    R.I.P my little ones.

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,297 Times in 1,296 Posts

Hi Rika, and welcome to you and your canaries, and that precious little Wiggles! What a sweet baby! You are an AWESOME caregiver. Little Wiggles looks very healthy, and I love how he is nestled in his little blankie!

I agree with Clive as far as keeping Wiggles in his own cage. I would not put him with the parents until he has fledged (is flying), and has had some time getting used to and eating the bird seed. I would not think the parents would reject him then, but I would watch him carefully (and I know you will), to be sure they don't get aggressive with him.

The parents may be so young they are not seasoned nor mature enough to take care of their chicks. I am surprised to hear they did not feed him well, because generally parents do a pretty good job of feeding all of their young. Like Clive, I am not very knowledgeable about canaries and their breeding and other behaviors. I agree we have what I consider a "master" canarie owner who is has vast education and knowledge about them, so I am very hopeful he will see your post and reply to you.

Keep up the great work with Wiggles, and do stop back often and let us know how he is progressing. Hope to see you around the forum.

Name
    Rika
    Thanks

Aww, thanks you guys. I've actually been a bit of nervous bird-mommy, having never raised a baby bird. It's been very intimidating at times, so these kind words and encouragements really settle my mind quite a bit. Haha. So, thank you very much. I'm doing the best that I can for this little guy.

As of late, Wiggles is learning to perch, enjoys flapping his wings, watching tv (Particularly Nick Jr for some reason); he appears to know two commands: "Come here." And he will hop toward me and flap his wings. And when I wake him for food I'll say "Cutie!" He'll perk right up from napping and start chirping for his food. It's adorable.

I will post some more pictures and hopefully video soon!

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

He is just too cute and I bet he is just a tiny little baby. You are doing great keeping him happy and healthy and I cannot wait to see more pictures of him. Just to show us how tiny he is I would love to see a picture of him in your hand or with it close to him so we can then really see his size. Keep up the great work "Mom" because obviously you are doing all the best things to keep Wiggles happy and healthy.
    Fly Free Boomer, we will forever love you.

Name
    Rika
    Thanks

As I am typing this, Wiggles is preening at his new feathers while resting on a nice warm towel. We got him a mirror for his cage today so that he can see how cute he is. LOL

Lil Wiggles!

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks

Awwwww!!!! He is just precious, Rika! He is growing into a beautiful canary. Just think how he has changed in the last days. I LOVE that you got him a mirror! I could just bet he will love that mirror from now on! Thanks for sharing!

Name
    Rika
    Thanks

He really is! Sweetest little birdy. I love him so much. Since getting the mirror, he seems to be more amused and entertained. While I was at the pet store yesterday, I saw a little like... hiding nook thingy. I read on the package that it's supposed to help calm birds and give them a safe, comfortable spot to hide in. It was fluffy on the inside. Thought it'd be PERFECT for him, since he loves to nestle into his towels and blankets. I was about to buy it but figured I could easily make him one. So the next time I am at the fabric store, I'll pick up some nice warm fleece and make him a little place to hide and rest. Especially since it's getting into chilly weather season.

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks

I think that would be a great idea. I've seen them advertised as well. I've never tried using them however. I have read that Lovebirds can get hormonal in them (females), and will even lay eggs in them. I think he will love it. I'm telling you, he is going to think he is the "greatest fid on the block"!!

Name
    Rika
    Thanks

I'm sure he already thinks that. I spoil him so much! I'm looking at him right now and he is looking super relaxed in his little area (during the day, I let him hang out in the middle of my bed). Plus I put a warm pack under the towel that he is resting on. As I've said - SPOILED! hahaha.

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks

Awwww! Well, I think most of us that have birds could say we spoil ours too, and "they own us"!

Name
    Rika
    Thanks

Mmmm. I'm a little bit concerned today with my baby. While napping on my robe (warm and fluffy, he seems to like it), he was falling asleep but I noticed that his mouth was open as he was sleeping. I'm not sure if I should be alarmed or not. I should probably add, that after feeding, a very small bit of air will appear to be present at the very top of his crop. I'm seeing very mixed information on the net, so I figured I should ask about that here. Some people are saying that it's normal with feeding and others are saying it can be potentially deadly. Naturally, I'm pretty worried and hoping he is not in any distress. Otherwise he seems to be doing just fine. He is even flying now like a pro! I'm so proud of him. A bit of help please! I'm not sure what I should do about this. ;_;

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks

I can't answer that question for you. One thought I have would be for you to call an Avian Vet, or a Vet in your area, and just ask the receptionist, if you could ask a question. Maybe they would let you speak to a Vet Technician on the phone and they would answer your question for you.

Name
    Rika
    Thanks

Seems that the avian vets here close their offices quite early in my area, so I am unable to contact them straight away. I will call them first thing tomorrow. It seems that Wiggles doesn't sleep with his mouth open when he is perched normally, head tucked, etc. No sneezing, wheezing, or anything like that. A friend of mine said that perhaps he was just too warm while nestled in my blanket and was 'panting' like a dog or cat would do. Could that be possible at all? o_O Do birds even do that?

I found this thread on here: http://www.tailfeathersnetwork.com/c...bubble-in-Crop And it is exactly what is happening with my baby. The tiiiiniest little bit of air seems to be present only after he has eaten. Once his crop empties, nothing is present. No food, no air. Just empty crop. He DOES eat very quickly though, I wonder if he is gulping down air when he eats.

Keeping an eye on his poops too. Doesn't seem to be any changes there. Regular birdy poops.
    Last edited by cootiepie; 09-18-2014 at 03:01 PM.

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks

I would say you found good information here on the above thread that you posted. Perhaps you might try feeding him smaller amounts but at about the same pace, because I know when they are hungry they want to eat and eat it quickly. I raised four baby budgies one time, and did hand feed the youngest because the parents were in a big hurry to get all of them out of the nest and he got left behind abit when it came to eating.

You are doing exactly what I would do. Watch him and keep an eye on his poops and also if he gets lethargic and sluggish. Personally, I feel that he will be fine. I absolutely cannot believe he is flying already. They grow up far, far too fast!

Keep up the good work!