where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jaspa - my beautiful girl

Name
    Karen
    Thanks

Jaspa - my beautiful girl

I haven't been on Tailfeathers for some time (Maxollie and Tango's mum may remember me) but I wanted to post that I lost my beautiful girl yesterday - she was nearly 12. She has been a chronic egg layer all her life, and I tried everything to stop it- hormone injections and more recent implants, in the hope I wouldn't have to have here spayed. The latest (second) implant only lasted 4 months and I only had that done as we about to start another round of overseas IVF and didnt want to lose her before that. I knew the time would come I had to make a decision on spaying - it happened sooner than I liked as she got clucky again. She was in healthy condition and was spayed on Wednesday. All went well with the operation, she looked good that night, even tugging on her toys, drinking, on her swing in her own cage and vets kept her in an incubator all night. The next night I visited her she looked so different, she hadn't been eating nor drinking her medicated water so they were injecting her with pain relief and crop feeding her, though she was vomiting. They let me bring her home for the night to see if I could get her eating (she would have been there alone anyway from 7pm-7am). She was clingy and just wanted to be held and I couldn't get her eating, even her favourite food (and when that's around she was your friend). I returned her to the vets yesterday morning and got a call around 11am to say they think she had an intestinal blockage as she wasn't even doing normal poops and wanted to do an exploratory - it was 50/50 if she made it as she was weak already. I left work and got to hold her again before the op. She didn't survive the anaesthetic. I was so glad to have been able to hold her before hand.

I am so distraught at losing her. She was my pal and a huge part of my life for 12 years when I was single for 7 years. She chose me at a pet shop as she kept playing with my bangle (I had just lost a budgie at 2 years who was egg bound and the vet tried operating but she died overnight after the operation). The pet owner thought she was a boy so she got called Jasper but when she laid her first egg her name got changed to Jaspa (and often called Jasp or Jaspie). She went everywhere with me, house sitting, living in various places, living with my parents for a bit and having my mother around during the day, going on holiday, helping me through a relationship breakup after I first got her, accepting my hubby Tony, my tiel Gabi I got prior to meeting Tony (Gabi later died at age 3 from getting a staple inside him even though I got help as soon as I realised), then our recent tiel Olli. She was really good natured, calm, never got jealous of the two male tiels, loved smooches and snuggles, did her own thing a bit and would find places in the house to perch (they were out of their cages each night and a lot in the weekends), would love sitting outside in her cage or on the window sill watching the birds, would be sneaky at going into Ollis cage for his food treats before eating her own, or closing the cage door behind her so Gabi couldn't follow her in (he was besotted with her), would pull one of her toys out and let it go against the cage to get hubby's attention if she saw him getting some food out she wanted, would have snuggles in bed with me and would rest her beak on my lips, when I was throwing up one time she looked at Tony to make sure he was going to check on me and followed me into the bathroom, and made an excited greeting sound when you came in from work. Sometimes I think she lucked out a bit as she had a quiet nature whereas Olli being hand reared from a breeder and his personality was always on you and noisy, and if you were holding her, he would often come on your shoulder as he got jealous. She got grumpy with him at times when he was too noisy and would snap at him verbally but never was nasty. I can see her everywhere in the house and can't imagine my life without her. I would give anything to have her back right now.

I will try and post a recent picture of her later on.

Tiels Gabi (RIP Aug 2011 - 3 yrs) and Jaspa (RIP Sept 2014 - 12 yrs); Tiel Olli (3 yrs)
    Budgies Sam and Zakie - RIP

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,268 Times in 1,267 Posts

Re: Jaspa - my beautiful girl

I'm so very sorry that Jaspa has passed away, and I send my love, prayers and hugs to you. I sent you a private message.

Somewhere, Over the Rainbow
    Way up high
    There's a land that I heard of,
    Once in a lullaby

Skies are blue,
    And the dreams that you dare to dream,
    Really do come true!

Beautiful birds, fly

Fly high and free, Jaspa! Over the Rainbow Bridge! May you forever rest in peace.

Love and hugs,
    Maxollie (Ellen)

Name
    Karen
    Thanks

Thank you so much Ellen, that makes me cry, and I can't stop crying anyway. I feel so empty and lost.

I will post some recent pics of her later when I get an adaptor to get the pics off my phone.

Tiels Gabi (RIP Aug 2011 - 3 yrs) and Jaspa (RIP Sept 2014 - 12 yrs); Tiel Olli (3 yrs)

Name
    Carolyn
    Thanks

Karen,
    I am so sorry to hear that you lost Jaspa. I literally have tears in my eyes. I know how much you loved her and I know you shared with me with all her chronic egg laying issues. I know that both Tony and Olli are going to be lost without her I'm sending you a bunch of hugs!! Fly free over the Rainbow Bridge Jaspa..

Someone sent me this poem after Woodstock passed away.. I thought I would share it with you.

ANGELS' IN DISGUISE
    My little birds are so sweet
    Perhaps, it's true their not so neat
    What such joy
    they bring each day
    One look at their sweet faces
    erases any traces
    of sadness away
    Little angels in disguise
    Who could doubt that they are wise
    How do you correct the little creature
    When their antics resemble a comedy feature
    With a will so strong, I admire
    Independence they desire
    When dinner is over , the day is gone
    Tomorrow will begin with a soft sweet song
    This endless love I must relate
    Is truly an act of heavens' fate
    C.R. Ying
    North Carolina

I will private message you over the weekend. Sending my thoughts and prayers to you.
    Tango / White Faced Pied Male: Hatched on October 09, 2011 - Homed on April 28, 2012.

Tiels:
    Bows / Normal Gray Hen: 1976 - 1984
    Caesar / Normal Gray Male: 1977 - 1994
    Piper / Lutino Hen: 1994 - 2010
    Woodstock / Normal Gray Male: 2004 - 2011

Name
    Clive
    Thanks

Kaz.
    I am so sorry for what has happened.
    I have been there with chronic egg layers.
    Lost one and another does have a health problem.
    The third managed to find away outside, so lost her.
    But I did find a way to stop them in the end. And none of my girls I now have lay.
    Anyway that is not going to help you now.
    I can tell you did everything for her you could and that is what matters.
    I also know how you feel.
    There is no easy fix for that.

R.I.P. and Fly Free Over The Rainbow Bridge Jaspa.
    R.I.P my little ones.

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

I am sorry for your loss of your beautiful Jaspa. I know the pain your going through and the feelings of loss each time you walk into a room and they are not there to cheep great you. Time does heal the pain a little bit but it will never go away because our birds just become a huge part of our lives. You did what you could to try to save her and I am very sorry she just was not strong enough to make it through the surgery. My thoughts go out to you.

Fly free Jaspa, you were very much loved...
    Fly Free Boomer, we will forever love you.

Name
    Karen
    Thanks

Thank you so much for your kind words about Jaspa.

Carolyn, that is a lovely poem, I will reply to your PM too, thanks for that.

Clive, how did you overcome the egg laying without resorting to hormone injections or implants? I would be really keen to know. Since Jaspa was so sweet I would like another girl at some stage but don't want to go through the egg laying again and thought maybe the only option is to have her spayed when she is mature enough.

Deanna, thanks for your beautiful words. I haven't stopped crying today and keep looking for Jasp in her favourite spots to get her for a cuddle. The house seems so empty without her even though she was quiet - I hate being here at the moment. Even Olli has been quiet today. I keep thinking maybe instead of the spaying I should have separated the birds (breeding season in NZ at the moment) as Olli stimulated her when he rubbed but she was getting older and the egg laying may have taken her eventually and that would be heartbreaking and I didn't want to give her any more Lupron or implants. The vet has done hundreds of spayings and her getting the intestinal blockage was rare - he has only come across one in his career so she was so unlucky. She was so weak from the first surgery not to cope with the second anaesthetic.

Name
    Karen
    Thanks

[IMG][/IMG]

Name
    Karen
    Thanks

Name
    Karen
    Thanks

Some recent pics of Jasp

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

Beautiful pictures. They brought tears to my eyes knowing how sad you are today. No matter how our birds die it seems we as humans always have the "what ifs" and "if onlys" so try not to blame yourself for what happened to Jaspa because you did what you thought was best. Olli needs some special lovings from you today because he too is sad because he lost his mate. Sending you big hugs.
    Fly Free Boomer, we will forever love you.

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,268 Times in 1,267 Posts

Beautiful pictures! Jaspa truly was a special and loving Spirit! Thank you for sharing the pics with us. Sending you a big hug, Karen! You are in my thoughts and prayers!

Name
    Karen
    Thanks

Thanks - I am still beating myself up a bit. Olli has been a lot quieter than usual so I definitely think he is feeling the loss too.

Teenager
    Name
    Bill
    Thanks

Jaspa 12 years. That is enough time to really know your bird and the bird to know you. Sorry to hear about her passing. Seems to have been a health problem, as cockatiels live longer than 12 years. They are good birds. Attractive also.

Name
    Clive
    Thanks

Just so everybody knows.
    I did PM Kaz with a reply to her question.
    We also had a long conversation by phone.
    I did not ignore her question.
    Which it would seemed like to some of you.

@ Kaz
    It was good to talk to you.
    You have to stop beating yourself up. You did what you thought best and on the advice of the avian vet. Who is meant to be good. You made no bad decisions, acting on the advice you were given.
    None of us can do better than that. If anybody is to blame then I think you know where I would point that. It certainly was not your fault.
    Egg laying girls are hard to deal with.
    You are welcome to come on over and meet my flock. Sit and talk birds.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaspa View Post
    Thank you so much for your kind words about Jaspa.

Carolyn, that is a lovely poem, I will reply to your PM too, thanks for that.

Clive, how did you overcome the egg laying without resorting to hormone injections or implants? I would be really keen to know. Since Jaspa was so sweet I would like another girl at some stage but don't want to go through the egg laying again and thought maybe the only option is to have her spayed when she is mature enough.

Deanna, thanks for your beautiful words. I haven't stopped crying today and keep looking for Jasp in her favourite spots to get her for a cuddle. The house seems so empty without her even though she was quiet - I hate being here at the moment. Even Olli has been quiet today. I keep thinking maybe instead of the spaying I should have separated the birds (breeding season in NZ at the moment) as Olli stimulated her when he rubbed but she was getting older and the egg laying may have taken her eventually and that would be heartbreaking and I didn't want to give her any more Lupron or implants. The vet has done hundreds of spayings and her getting the intestinal blockage was rare - he has only come across one in his career so she was so unlucky. She was so weak from the first surgery not to cope with the second anaesthetic.
    R.I.P my little ones.

Remove Ads