Contact | Tour
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thread: Sign Suggestions

Name
    Carolyn
    Thanks

Sign Suggestions

We currently have our home on the market. We had two viewings so far. The first viewing was on Monday in the later part of the afternoon. When my husband and I returned after the viewing, I found a sucker stuck in my carpet in the hallway between the bedroom and the bathroom. Then I checked on Tango and I found a sucker wrapper at the bottom of his cage. While our home was being visited by a potential buyer, we learned that they had a small child between 3 to 4 years of age. I did contact their agent and told them what I discovered when we returned home and their agent tried to pass the blame back to me without any success.

I told my husband that I wanted to place a sign on the door of the bird room to let potential buyers know that I don't want them near the bird. My husband thinks it's tacky but then again, I don't appreciate finding candy wrappers at the bottom of my bird cage.

I did a thorough inspection of Tangos cage and I didn't find any evidence of candy.

I understand that people are going to want to go in the bird room, but I also want them to keep their distance from my little guy.

We had another viewing on Tuesday and that went just fine.

Suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
    Last edited by Pipers Mom; 10-01-2014 at 06:26 PM. Reason: typo

Name
    Clive
    Thanks

Re: Sign Suggestions

I would think a sign a good idea.
    Try to keep it simple. Something like.
    Please be considerate:
    We ask you to not try to feed Tango.
    Poke at him or scare him.
    Thank you.
    R.I.P my little ones.

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,250 Times in 1,249 Posts

I feel a sign is definitely appropriate, because with little children, one never knows what they might stick in the cage between the bars, of put their fingers in between the bars and get bitten by Tango. Also, Tango may be frightened by strangers. And if something were put into the cage he could swallow something that could make him sick and/or injured. And I feel that even teenagers might be motivated to get close to the cage and get his attention!

My sign would say: We respectfully request that all persons stay a distance away from the bird cage and our bird, Tango! Thank you!

Administrator Tailfeather Community Administrator
    Name
    Marie
    Thanks

You could put a sign up like the zoo's have or something:

I may bite. Please do not feed me or try to touch me.

Parents are much more likely to respect your cage if you make them think they are protecting their child from bites than just because you ask them to respect your bird. And it comes off as less rude if it's a "safety warning".

Though, honestly, I wonder why the real estate agent or parents would allow a kid to throw trash and used candy onto your floors/things to begin with. o.O What if the sucker had stained a light colored carpet? Or if it had been koolaid instead of a piece of candy? Yikes.

Name
    Carolyn
    Thanks

Thanks everyone for your suggestions. I assure you that they will be put to good use.

My first thought is when you are house hunting and you have a small child, wouldn't you get a baby sitter for a couple hours? I was really lucky that I was able to get the nasty, yucky, sticky sucker out of my carpet and it did not stain. I had my carpet professionally cleaned less than 2 years ago and I did have the company put a scotch-guard protection on it.

Marrie, I think I would have cried if it were kool-aid.. Who knows if I would have been able to get that out..

Thanks again everyone!!
    Tango / White Faced Pied Male: Hatched on October 09, 2011 - Homed on April 28, 2012.

Tiels:
    Bows / Normal Gray Hen: 1976 - 1984
    Caesar / Normal Gray Male: 1977 - 1994
    Piper / Lutino Hen: 1994 - 2010
    Woodstock / Normal Gray Male: 2004 - 2011

Administrator Tailfeather Community Administrator
    Name
    Marie
    Thanks

Well, I can understand not getting a baby sitter, if time/money constraints are an issue or if you want the kid to feel like they are a part of the decision, since it's a huge change and even something as simple as "do you like it? see how big your bedroom would be!" could settle a child down. But, if I were house hunting with a small child, I CERTAINLY would not give it anything like sticky candy while inside. That's as rude as giving your kid sticky candy when you're going for a ride in someone else's brand new car.

Remove Ads