Contact | Tour
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thread: I have blue cockatiel chicks :)

Name
    Jo
    Thanks

I have blue cockatiel chicks :)

I can't figure out how to add photos , so I have linked to our facebook page. sorry.

https://www.facebook.com/harlequinav...?ref=bookmarks
    The family:
    Dogs: Saba - Border Collie Cross Australian Cattle Dog & Jet - Black Labrador cross
    Cat: Pizzicato
    Tiels - 30+: Anubis, Anice, Azores, Beccles, Datoli, Fyfe, Gandalf, Ghia, Giotti, Graphite, Halo, Icarus, Io, Jin, Kadia, Kahmu, Kobe, Leukos, Merlin, Mochachino, Mizar, Mykonos, Nemesis, Nimbus, Olias, Orion, Paleides, Patmos, Pegasus, Rhodos, Sauvignon, Valentino, Willow plus we usually have some chicks ...
    Alexandrines: Elixir & Harlequin, Zhed
    African Greys: Georgie & Ptoli
    Hubby: Alan

http://www.harlequinaviaries.com

Thanks

Re: I have blue cockatiel chicks :)

Sorry, I'm not on Facebook anymore. If you have a photobucket account (it's free and easy) you can upload your photos their and it will give you 4 links to each photo. Just copy the link that says IMG and post it here. You can find photobucket on Google. They also have an app on the Smartphone if you have one. I would love to see pics of you babies!!

Name
    Jo
    Thanks

I tried photobucket and it was under maintenance or something
    >.<
    The family:
    Dogs: Saba - Border Collie Cross Australian Cattle Dog & Jet - Black Labrador cross
    Tiels - 30+: Anubis, Anice, Azores, Beccles, Datoli, Fyfe, Gandalf, Ghia, Giotti, Graphite, Halo, Icarus, Io, Jin, Kadia, Kahmu, Kobe, Leukos, Merlin, Mochachino, Mizar, Mykonos, Nemesis, Nimbus, Olias, Orion, Paleides, Patmos, Pegasus, Rhodos, Sauvignon, Valentino, Willow plus we usually have some chicks ...

Name
    Jo
    Thanks

Here we go
    [IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
    The family:

Thanks

OMG!! Not too scare you at all but that does not look normal at all!! Crops are supposed to look like this:

I have never seen that in my life. What are the parents eating? The parents is where the problem I suspect is coming from. Are they eating or drinking anything blue? Cockatiels do not have any blue color in their genes so this is definitely abnormal. I don't even know what to say. I'm going to post these pictures around to see if others can find solutions but I am going to need permission. I'm so glad you posted these pictures so we can try to find a solution that will help them.

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

I read the facebook page and it says the parents are eating colored pellets and they say they must be eating mostly the blue ones. I believe it because those are some strange looking blue crops.

Do the parents also eat a good seed and grain mix. I have nothing bad to say about pellets but I also think birds needs a good quality seed mix as well and to me having them feed tiny babies pellets they have regurgitated just might overload their tiny baby systems. It is up to you what you want to feed them but I know my avian vet here recommended I feed a nice even diet of a good quality seed and grain mix, pellets and good for them human foods. My lovebird would pick what he ate each day and he really did tend to eat everything we gave to him.
    Fly Free Boomer, we will forever love you.

Thanks

I don't know what type of colored pellets you have but I think it would be better if you got the non colored ones. The coloring doesn't look too good for the crop. It gets me worried.

Yes, Boomergirl is right. Birds should be fed a variety of seeds, pellets, and veggies. You can even give them a hard boiled egg for protein. It isn't really required to feed the parents soft foods while they have babies. Just try to get them some seeds. It's not healthy for birds to be on an all pellet diet. A birds diet should contain more seeds than pellets. Good luck with the bubs! They are adorable

Thanks

About the babies mutations, they can't be whiteface or lutino. They can be normal greys, pieds, Pearls, or cinnamon. What are the parents mutations? We can help you identify them if you'd like. We will just need pictures of their face, back of head, and a normal photo of them.

Name
    Jo
    Thanks

Thanks guys. Don't fret, the babies are fine. We have always offered our birds plenty of fresh food and some good quality, locally grown seed, however, the vet quite rightly pointed out that we can't be sure all our birds are getting all they need, so she suggested offering pellets - as well. We are just sprinkling a few pellets over the seed and vege trays.

These pellets are from Kaytees which is the brand of hand-rearing formula we use and trust. I agree the colouring is, well, interesting, but I'm sure there is nothing there that would harm the wee darlings. Their down and skin is looking really good and the crops feel as they should. They are just blue.

The youngest of these chicks is a cinnamon as she has the plum eyes and since mum is a lutino and dad is a normal split to cinnamon then she is a hen. The others will probably be normal (I can't remember if dad is carry the pearl gene or not).

I appreciate your concern and we will probably see if we can get a different breed of pellets next time round. I just never thought I'd see chicks with bright blue crops like that and had to share
    The family:

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

Yes, the chicks look rather strange with blue crops. It sounds like they are fed good and just imagine how strange they would look if the parents decide to eat the red pellets tomorrow.
    Fly Free Boomer, we will forever love you.

Name
    Jo
    Thanks

The family:

Name
    Clive
    Thanks

Hi Jo! I know you think the vet may know best, but I would do your own research on the dyes used to colour pellets.
    This alone is enough to say do not use them.
    And I would put money on it the vet is not a bird nutritionist. Just repeating what they have been told.
    I know you and trust your skills, I am sure you do not need to add pellets to their diet.
    If you feel you need to use any dried foods, the best we have here in NZ is Harrisons.
    Not that I would even use these, but they are a much option over Kaytees.
    I do agree with you on the baby formula though.
    Snowy is one of yours remember.
    Last edited by clawnz; 12-16-2014 at 01:29 AM.
    R.I.P my little ones.

Name
    Jo
    Thanks

Hey Clive Our vets knowing best???? Here in little old Nelson??? yeah right. They try, but their knowledge when it comes to birds is very limited. I do feel the comment that we can't be sure that each bird is actually eating all the things we offer is valid. That is why we are going to include some small quantities of pellets. I have resisted for years and finally succumbed.

I agree about the dyes, but the kaytees is all we could get locally (again we suffer from small town syndrome). We'll see what we can get online next time.

And of course I remember Snowy. We still have his brother, mother and father (Icarus, Halo & Orion). Orion is busy sitting on eggs at the moment, but no joy so far.
    The family: