where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thread: Panic

Hatching
    Name
    Tarryn
    Thanks

Panic

I was wondering why Frodo been grumpy when i touched him today , and saw blood in cage and checked his wing and blood there. Dunno if hes still bleeding but hes getting angry when I touch his wing

Mum saying not to worry since hes not bleeding heavily but I dunno
    Last edited by TenthDoctor; 12-27-2014 at 10:11 PM.

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

Re: Panic

He might have broken a blood feather and it may just keep bleeding. I really need try to take a look at it and make sure it is not a broken blood feather. If it is a broken feather you will need to pull it out. I never pulled one before but if you do searches here on the site I know you will find posts about it. If you have a vet you can take him too I would do it.
    Fly Free Boomer, we will forever love you.

Name
    Clive
    Thanks

Hi Tarryn.
    As Frodo is in a molt the chances are it is a damaged blood feather and it may need pulling out.
    Do you have quick stop? You can try this to stop the bleeding sometimes. There are other things you can use, but quick stop is available from Animates and it does work.
    I do need to know what the feather is. And it best to pull it.
    If an outer primary you need to get a vet to pull this as they may feel the need to put Frodo under to pull it. Very painful.
    If it is only a secondary or smaller, then you can pull your self. It will still hurt him, but this is the best way to make sure the follicle shuts off the blood flow. A pair of pliers. Grip it well and a quick pull.
    Now if it has stopped bleeding all you need to do is make sure he does not know it and it starts to bleed again. Dodge practice at best, but I have got away with this with Dexter. Snowy went in twice to have feathers pulled out and he was put to sleep both times. But his were outer primaries.
    R.I.P my little ones.

Name
    Helen
    Thanks

You don't always have to pull feathers - quite often I've been able to stop bleeding from primary tailfeathers with silver nitrate

I have been told by a vet that it's very rare that a healthy bird will bleed to death from a blood feather - however, it is something that needs checking out and attention.

How's he doing now anyway?

Thanks Lee for the adorable sig!

Hatching
    Name
    Tarryn
    Thanks

I think hes ok, been no more blood and was a bloody feather sharft in his cage, so I'm guessing its out by his own doing,
    I tried to check his wing to make sure, and didnt see any broken feather sharft or blood Hoping its over @_@

Name
    Clive
    Thanks

Oh! You would of seen any blood if it was still bleeding for sure.
    So it does sound like the one you found was the culprit.
    Plucking them out is a 100% sure way to stop any blood flow. While other ways may and can work, there is always a chance that the shaft can start to bleed again. Dexters sure did.

I do not want to get into an argument with Helen, as we have been over this before.
    But seeing Dexter bleed for over 20 mins with me trying to stop the bleeding, Which was running out of the open shaft certainly makes me think that the stories I have heard are extremely possible.

Just as a reminder. This was flowing to the point it was running down my neck at one stage after I thought I had got it beaten.
    R.I.P my little ones.

Hatching
    Name
    Tarryn
    Thanks

Still no blood now either and hes not getting mad at me now
    I'm hoping it doesnt happen again.

Name
    Helen
    Thanks

Only repeating what the vet told me

Sam had a feather bleed today - scared me silly as it was wing, and not had to deal with it before. Think it was only a minor feather as mid-way up the wing and not a primary flight - but broke so close to the skin all I could pull was the feather, but couldn't get hold of the shaft

Thank goodness for silver nitrate!

Although I'm still worried he could knock it, or flapping lots will make it start again

Terrified about sleeping tonight Although it has now been dry for 5 hours... still really scary

Am glad Frodo is doing well x

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

I hope Sammy is OK and you got some sleep last night. I would take him to the vets to get that shaft pulled out so you will not worry about him breaking it open.

I am happy Frodo pulled the bad feather out and is perfectly fine again.
    Fly Free Boomer, we will forever love you.

Hatching
    Name
    Tarryn
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by pixibubbles View Post
    Only repeating what the vet told me

Sam had a feather bleed today - scared me silly as it was wing, and not had to deal with it before. Think it was only a minor feather as mid-way up the wing and not a primary flight - but broke so close to the skin all I could pull was the feather, but couldn't get hold of the shaft

Thank goodness for silver nitrate!

Although I'm still worried he could knock it, or flapping lots will make it start again

Terrified about sleeping tonight Although it has now been dry for 5 hours... still really scary

Am glad Frodo is doing well x
    Aww I hope Sam is ok D: I can sleep easy now knowing he wont bleed more and hes clearly happier

Hatching
    Name
    Tarryn
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by boomer girl View Post
    I hope Sammy is OK and you got some sleep last night. I would take him to the vets to get that shaft pulled out so you will not worry about him breaking it open.

I am happy Frodo pulled the bad feather out and is perfectly fine again.
    Yeah its like he knew I was gonna pull it or take him to vet. But it scared me so much ;_; I woke at 5am yesterday because was too worried

Name
    Helen
    Thanks

Spoke to the vet today - actually had him booked in for a visit, and they called to have a quick chat and see why he was coming in.

Am really impressed - they're new guys I visited for the first time last week... they're near to my parents, so are a good option when I'm travelling. Basically, he was very kind, said I'd done the right thing, and that the best thing for Sammy is to keep him here. Keep watch and call if it starts oozing or anything, but that (and I quote) "generally birds are quite god clotters, and once the scab/bruise has formed, it's usually OK). Plus because he broke it close to the skin, would probably need to gas before pulling as it's a covert feather, and given that he's been treated for respiratory infection, not something we'd want to do.

Given that they're turning away business (and money) by telling me that, I do tend to trust them.

PS - if anyone is looking for a vet in London, UK - CJ Hall - I am WELL impressed lol

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,268 Times in 1,267 Posts

So happy to hear the wing issue was resolved!

Remove Ads