Tailfeathers
Contact | Tour
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thread: Sex of these chicks?

GrannyGood

Sex of these chicks?

Hi! I would be grateful for anyone's opinions on the gender of these 3 chicks as well as any guesses as to what their colors and varieties would be.

Here's their pics: http://share.shutterfly.com/action/w...id=EM_sharshar

I believe Gatsby (the greener one) has something called as "yellow face 2" mutation because s/he is blue and has a yellow head but the yellow goes down onto his body as well, changing the blue to a turquoise color. I read that it is considered a fault, but personally I think it's pretty!

Kiki is gray and has a black tail. S/he has gray on the wings too. Is that what is meant by clearwing?

From reading, I believe Kady (the mostly white) is considered 'opaline'? And I saw one called "recessive pied" that s/he looked like, but that was just from perusing the internet.

Any help as to gender or anything else would be appreciated! (BTW, I'm replacing the plastic perches and have put newspaper on top of the wire).
    Last edited by GrannyGood; 01-11-2015 at 11:32 AM. Reason: reassure folks about the feet :)

Name
    Clive
    Thanks

Re: Sex of these chicks?

Hi Angela.
    Welcome to the forum.
    I know very little about Budgie sexing or mutations.
    I do think it is hard to sex until they mature.
    So if they are a way off then DNA sexing is an option if you are in a hurry.
    R.I.P my little ones.

GrannyGood

I am not in a hurry as long as I don't accidentally end up with eggs somewhere. That's a joke, but someone did actually tell me this coconut dish I was going to use to put raw veggies in was a bad idea because if they were mixed gender, they might perceive it as a nesting place. I would never have even known that.

Someone said "Gatsby" was a male sky blue yellow-face which makes sense. I read that a YF "2" meant the yellow included the body and that would account for the greenish sky blue of his body. I also read it isn't a very "desired" trait, but meh, I am not breeding anything, and I think it's pretty.

Someone else said that Kiki (the gray) was gray spangle, but from what I read, spangle means the dark and light on the feathers is reversed, and if that's accurate, then spangle doesn't seem right.

As for Kady, no one has ventured a guess, but I saw a picture of a "recessive pied", and s/he looks like that to me by looking at her eyes and her coloring. Also, she is the only one that looked "opaline" to me. I think Kady is female, but if she is recessive pied, they say the cere will stay pink no matter what, so I may never know.

Also one person said all males and one person said all hens. Ha!

Anyway, I am not in a hurry, and I am open to guesses (as you can see, since I've offered guesses of my own!).

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,308 Times in 1,307 Posts

Hi, Angela, and welcome to the community. You have beautiful budgies. There is a website called "Budgie Place". On the home page at the top, there is a link to "mutations". If you click on that link you will find many different mutations of budgies. Hopefully you can find the information you are looking for.

They really look to be very unique and of good quality. As I look at the pics, I'm thinking that the blue one with the yellow face may be a male. The other two may be female. You can go on-line and get DNA sexing kits as well as having your Vet do the test. and if you are not in a big hurry to know, I would say in about 6-9 months the ceres will signal which sex they are.

I have homed budgies for many years, and would be lost without them in my home.

Do stop by often and keep us updated about your precious little budgies.

GrannyGood

Thank you so much for the suggestion and the welcome! My youngest just enrolled in college fro the fall, and I thought these little pets would be a nice distraction for me. I have had parakeets before, but we didn't have the internet, and nowadays, there is so much more information available. Makes things more fun!

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,308 Times in 1,307 Posts

Parakeets (Budgies) are very hardy and lovable little parrots. They really are easy to care for other than cleaning up seed behind them, which happens when having any birds, and they love life, love their mirrors, their swings, their food and each other. And they love us as well!

I feel you made a great decision to bring them into your home. I've been in that "empty nest" challenge myself years ago, and my little budge I had at the time sure did help me adjust to living alone.