Tailfeathers
Contact | Tour
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thread: My two beautiful spunky budgies died two days ago and I'm at a loss.

Brand New Egg
    Name
    jen
    Thanks

My two beautiful spunky budgies died two days ago and I'm at a loss.

Two days ago, my two budgies died randomly within an hour of each other. It was very out of the blue and they showed no warning signs. Before Kiwi ( the oldest budgie) passed away she was breathing heavy. I thought maybe I startled her when I got up quickly, so I tried to give her space to calm down. A half hour later we heard a crash and she was on the bottom of the cage. After about an hour the baby Apollo dropped dead suddenly. We just can not fathom what could have happened. They were singing, flying, and eating prior to this. I do live in New york and it has been extremely cold but we are not sure if a draft could have caused this. DO they die suddenly like that? Our three cockatiels are happy and fine and surprisingly don't seem to notice they are missing. Me on the other hand, am not doing so well. The house is just to quiet. Amazing how just watching them play brought such joy to the home. Apollo was our little ninja climbing and scaling the curtains. They were a ball of energy and fun. I didn't expect it to be this hard.

Name
    Clive
    Thanks

Re: My two beautiful spunky budgies died two days ago and I'm at a loss.

Welcome to the forum.
    Sad that you join us with such bad news.
    I cannot say why your first one died, but it is possible the other has died due to the stress of its mate dying.
    Were they strongly bonded and what age.
    The only way that may have solved what happened would of been to have a necropsy done on the bodies.
    I know this sounds a little insensitive to some, but knowing what happened may of helped you decide you need to take precautions with the other birds.

I am sure in life we all wish we had all the answers.

Please except our deepest sympathies.
    If you follow our forum you will find many here that understand the emotions you are having.
    R.I.P my little ones.

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,268 Times in 1,267 Posts

How long have you had your budgies? And were they in the same cage together? Have you recently used any new chemical cleaners, or are you a cigarette smoker? Do you use teflon pans for cooking? These are just a few questions that have come to my mind.

It seems to me that with them passing away so very quickly, there has to be something that caused both to die. Were they acting fine until this tragedy? Did you change their diet in anyway? Were the droppings normal, or were they loose and watery? Did you see either of them all puffed up, lethargic, or acting very quiet, perhaps not interacting with each other as well?

Personally, since both of them died so suddenly, I do not feel that the second one died because of missing the first one. Now if it would have been a few days later, then "maybe" it could be because of missing the first one that died. I've homed budgies for many, many years, and to have them die so unexpectedly, I suspect there was something in the environment, that caused them to die so suddenly. Do you clean the cage with any chemicals or did you do anything differently than usual in feeding them foods and or seeds?

Did you cover their cages during the cold winter (3 sides with the front open), and did you cover the cage entirely at night? Cold weather can affect birds. It always is a good idea to keep them warm by putting covers on the cage in the coldest of winters.

Were the cockatiel cages close by to the budgie cages? If that be the case, then I would suggest you also clean the cockatiel cages. Bacterial germs will naturally be airborne, and could infiltrate neighboring bird cages. On the side of caution, I sure would clean them.

I also would take the seed box, or sack, or pellets, and replace the seeds. Sometimes mold and/or insect larva can infect bird seed. Replacing the seed they are eating with new seed, in my view is a good idea.

These are just a few of the thoughts I have for you to ponder. I am so sorry you have lost both of them. If you decide to get budgies to replace them, I would suggest you take all of the toys and food/water cups out of the cage, and thoroughly sanitize the cage. I would not reuse any toys. The food and water cups should be able to be used if cleaned well with a mixture of white vinegar and hot water. I use white vinegar to clean my cages and cups because vinegar is organic, and is one of the best "medicinal" items that one can ever use for cleaning. I am not into chemicals, so I don't use chemicals, smoking, or other irritants around my birds.

Welcome to the community. I am so very sorry you have lost your budgies, and I am sending you ((((((hugs)))))!

Fly High and Free over the Rainbow Bridge, sweet budgies! Rest in Peace!
    Last edited by maxollie; 01-17-2015 at 01:41 PM.

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

I am very sorry for your loss. To lose two birds at one time has to be hard to go through and my thoughts are with you and your family. We do understand how hard it is to lose your birds because so many of us have been through the loss before so we are here for you if you want to talk.

You may never know what killed them. My first thoughts when I read your post was something airborne. I think if it was a scent or chemical that killed them that was in the air it would have affected your tiels as well but maybe it killed the budgies because they were so much smaller. Birds have such delicate respiratory systems that you really do need to be careful about any kinds of smells. Teflon which is in pans, self cleaning ovens and even microwave popcorn bags really cause birds to just drop dead without showing any signs. Cleaners, air fresheners and worse is Febreze are all bad for birds as well.

Fly free little birds...
    Fly Free Boomer, we will forever love you.

Remove Ads