Tailfeathers
Contact | Tour
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thread: Lutino with blue-red eyes?

Thanks

Lutino with blue-red eyes?

I need a hand identifying a mutation of an unsexed cockatiel - I wasn't given much information (that is, no information) by the girl I bought him / her off - going by vent sexing, feels like a boy but haven't spied it doing any male-behaviour yet.

I thought it was a lutino, but when I turned up to buy him he had very odd eyes - almost like the lutino 'lightness', but a grey-blue in normal light to reddish in camera flash (this doesn't happen with my cinnamon WF pied hen - she's always got brown eyes). Also has a baldy spot.

Here he is, with a flash at night:

Note the 'not-quite-red and not-quite-brown' eyes.

My Albino hen for comparison (excuse how scruffy she looks, she's going through a moult):

My cinnamon W/F pied hen for comparison (normal, dark eyes) :

Now the albino has the usual 'deep-wine' coloured eyes so typical of the ino mutation, but this one is more on the fence. I have had clear-pieds in the past and not one of them had eyes like this - they all had brown / black eyes.

Here is something of interest I stumbled across while browsing the net for this odd phenomenon

So I'm wondering (if this has any merit at all) if he / she is a lutino split to pied or split to white-face? Definitely not a pearl lutino, and I can't see any cinnamon tinging on the wings at all - for all intents and purposes, looks like a lutino :/

I don't have any full-body pics as he's still a bit flighty (supposedly tame, but I don't mind as he's going into the aviary anyway and I didn't pay 'tame-bird' prices for him), but I will try to get one in the next couple of days.

Commission me! I paint custom pet portraits - PM me or send me a msg on facebook!
    https://www.facebook.com/CarolinaLangVisualArtist

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,248 Times in 1,247 Posts

Re: Lutino with blue-red eyes?

The information that you found on the web, in my view, is correct. As I look at him, he definitely looks to be Lutino split to pied. If he were Lutino split to white face, then, in my view, the face would be white with no orange cheeks, and the body feathers would be white as well.

I once had one similar to your new one, however he had dark eyes. They really are beautiful birds. Yours looks to be quite large like mine was. I called mine "Big Bird", because he really was just that . . . . wide breasted, big feet, very alert, and intelligent.

I'll sure be interested to see pics of him as he gets older!

Great to see you back on the forum. I've missed your beautiful pics and updates.
    Last edited by maxollie; 01-20-2015 at 09:48 AM.

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

It is a beautiful bird and the information you posted is from a girl who is on our forum. Suzanne has not been on here for awhile but all of her information is great stuff and just maybe she will see your post here and tell you what she thinks your new one is.
    Fly Free Boomer, we will forever love you.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by maxollie View Post
    The information that you found on the web, in my view, is correct. As I look at him, he definitely looks to be Lutino split to pied. If he were Lutino split to white face, then, in my view, the face would be white with no orange cheeks, and the body feathers would be white as well.

I once had one similar to your new one, however he had dark eyes. They really are beautiful birds. Yours looks to be quite large like mine was. I called mine "Big Bird", because he really was just that . . . . wide breasted, big feet, very alert, and intelligent.

I'll sure be interested to see pics of him as he gets older!

Great to see you back on the forum. I've missed your beautiful pics and updates.

Hi Maxollie,
    The bird you describe would be a white-face lutino - like my albino hen (yes, I know they are the same thing). A bird that is split to whiteface would not outwardly show signs of being split to whiteface except maybe the eye colour - hence you could have a 'yellow' lutino split to whiteface just like you can have a 'wild' type split to whiteface without actually showing the phenotype.

Commission me! I paint custom pet portraits - PM me or send me a msg on facebook!

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks

Thank you for the information you provided. If there was no Lutino DNA in the bird, and it was bred to a whiteface, then what color of feathering and face would the babies have? Would the babies be "whiteface"? For an example, a "normal grey", and a white face (parents). What would those babies look like? Is it the "split", that dictates the final result?

Thanks

I don't know I plan on breeding him to my cinn. whiteface pied girl to see what happens - the babies should give me a good clue, and if he IS lutino, I can use one of the male babies to pair up with the albino for more ino babies (I've heard...things... about breeding straight inos to inos so I don't want to risk it).

If he is split white-face and is also a lutino, I may get some white-face albino girls from that clutch alone - beauty! If not, maybe I'll get some lovely pieds. Maybe he's split pearl as well, who knows

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks

Well, I just am excited for you in breeding him, and I would love to see what results you get after the eggs hatch. So, I will look for your updates when you get the tiel breeding venture up and going.

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

I have a lutino male with red eyes and his mate is a dark eyed lutino pied I thought.. now her eyes appear red also. And they presently have 4 babies... oldest is14 days old & 3 younger ones. The babies seem to be all healthy. Is this a problem with 2 red eyes breeding. I also have an albino male paired with a whiteface pied black eyed female.. not breeding yet.. seeking some advice..thanks..

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

My above msg was posted in the wrong place. I have it reposted, & need to delete this one.. & don't know how to do it. And how do I post a pic of my bird...or is that not allowed.. I'm new here.. Creigh

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Hafsa
    Thanks

According to my point of view that one is Lutino Cockatiel split red eyes. But i did not read the complete your post because your post did not appear clearly. Because photo do not appears right now. Anyhow, if you want to read a complete information about Lutino Cockatiel. You can read the whole information in this link. Hopefully my comment is very helpful to you.
    Last edited by Kiara; 03-25-2019 at 12:00 AM. Reason: Fixed that for you. Don't reply to old threads.

Remove Ads