Tailfeathers
Contact | Tour
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thread: First time bird owner, got a new cockatiel 3 days ago and I have some concerns.

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

Question First time bird owner, got a new cockatiel 3 days ago and I have some concerns.

Hi, I just purchased a new cockatiel about 3 days ago from a large pet store chain. It's a female, and all the store knows about her age is that she's around 1 year old. I got her the Vision Model L01 bird cage as well as a swinging perch, ladder, a couple toys, etc. The reason why I'm posting is because she's been behaving pretty strangely. Over the last few days she's been periodically freaking out and she starts pacing all over the cage, climbing around, and chirping really loudly. This starts to happen when I enter the room, and the chirping usually continues for about 15-20 minutes after I leave. This morning when I was pulling the towels off her cage she got pretty startled and began to panic. In doing this, she managed to injure her last tail feather (the rest fell/broke off before I bought her, the store tells me.) and it started bleeding a bit. She got a bit of blood on her toys, a droplet on the cage floor, and there was a little bit of blood on her body near where her feather broke off. I quickly phoned the nearest avian vet and they told me that she'd be okay if the bleeding stopped. I tried getting some cornstarch onto the area where the feather broke off but I didn't have much luck. I'm assuming the blood stopped flowing on it's own because I can't see anymore fresh blood on her, and she's pretty active again. I'm not gonna rush her to the vet today, but I do have an exam scheduled pretty soon. Since this incident (which happened about 5 hours before this post) she's been pacing around her cage constantly, and she gets even more freaked out the closer I get. I'm wondering what I should do to calm her down and begin taming her. I've been sitting by her and talking to her periodically throughout the day, but every time this happens she starts pacing and chirping again. I'd let her out of the cage, but her wings haven't been clipped and she has a deathly fear of hands (I saw one of the pet store employees violently grab her after I made my purchase, and she hisses at me anytime my hands get near her.) Am I doing the right thing in sitting near her and talking to her? Is there anything I can do to calm her down? Am I overreacting and do I just need to be more patient? Sorry for the huge amount of text, I'm a first-time bird owner and I'm constantly worried that I'm not treating her right. Thanks in advance.

Also, could she just be bored? I did have some toys in her cage (a mirror and some strange looking dangling thing for her to destroy) but I pulled them both out in case they're scaring or aggravating her.
    Last edited by omgodzilla10; 02-06-2015 at 03:29 PM.

Name
    Charlie
    Thanks

Re: First time bird owner, got a new cockatiel 3 days ago and I have some concerns.

one of my teils was exactly the same i kept the top back and sides of her covered for about 2 weeks till she was more settled i still sat close and talk to her all the time .... I found talking softly with really slow hand movements when feeding and cleaning helped ... its obvious she is really stressed and just needs time to settle but you need to try and stay calm yourself as she will pick up on your mood which could also affect her

Me personally wouldnt even attempt to handle her or let her out yet i would keep her in her cage for at least a week .... just give her time once she feels more comfortable in her new surroundings she will calm down.
    Gone from our sight, But never our memories, Gone from our touch, But never our hearts

Princess Leia - Storm - - Yoda - Hunny & Suga

Odin Poppy Pheobe Spice Frodo Ari

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

Re: First time bird owner, got a new cockatiel 3 days ago and I have some concerns.

I've got her cage partially covered now. Thanks for the advice and the reassurance, I appreciate it.

Name
    Tracy
    Thanks

I agree with Charlie; also, good to get her check out by the vet soon. Poor little thing, sounds as though the pet store experience was very stressful. For now just sit by her cage reading a book (or using your computer, or something to keep you occupied), don't shower her with attention, and let her develop a curiosity about YOU, on her own time.

Name
    Clive
    Thanks

Hi! It must of been a blood feather (Pin Feather) growing in that got damaged. Tail feathers can be pulled out fairly easy compared to other on the body. This would of stopped the blood flow. But it did stop on it's own so no problem.
    As she is an older bird and you have not said anything about her history I am going to be guessing a bit here.
    It sounds like she is very nervous of what is going on.
    I would stop covering and uncovering her for at least now, if this is upsetting her. I am not into covers unless it is one that is always on the cage. Like top and three sides and left like this all the time.
    I know some like to cover their birds and as long as the birds are happy about this then I see no problem.

As she is freaking when you get near her, try sitting further away and talking to her reading playing music anything that seems to calm her down. Slow movement and being calm and positive will all help. Don't forget they can read your body language so ooze calmness. As she settles you should be able to move closer and do the same things and at some point be able to offer her foods through the cage bars.
    It is very early days and you do not need to make any mistakes. She has to and will learn to trust you.
    When you are sure she is comfortable and not afraid of you or her new home then if you want, open her cage and let her decide if she wants to venture out. This is the most vulnerable time for her to fly into things if she panics so be very careful. A good idea is to not let her out after being fed. Late in the day is good and as long as she has only ever been fed in the cage may decide to go back there if she see you put fresh food in there.
    R.I.P my little ones.