Contact | Tour
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thread: Not Interested in Mating

Name
    martin
    Thanks

Not Interested in Mating

Ok, so my male budgie has been doing his very funny mating dance and then puts his head down, chirps, moves a lot, bobs head, chirps, puts his head down, then maybe scream a little, then move a lot while chirping, touch her beak, scratches her etc. :P
    The only thing is that the female was paying little to no attention this morning, and now she isn't paying attention at all

My only question is: Since she has been completely ignoring him now, is it normal, is she just bored, not in the mood, not impressed, or just not interested? (She likes him, he scratches her head, she scratches his, although it is more common when he scratches her head, and they linked each other's beaks a few time (I've read its called regurgitating, not the vomiting type, but the loving type))

(I don't have a nest box btw. installed for them because they are not ready for breading)
    Last edited by Tino1061; 02-21-2015 at 08:06 AM.
    Spikey Izzy Coco Skyler

Name
    martin
    Thanks

Re: Not Interested in Mating

I think he's giving up :P
    Spikey Izzy Coco Skyler

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,262 Times in 1,261 Posts

Time and patience are always on your side. I would not be concerned about the behavior at this point in time. You are not wanting to breed them right now anyway, so you definitely do not want to encourage hormonal activity or mating. Then you will find yourself in a situation where you will have eggs, and have to decide how to proceed. I feel that the behavior that you see is very normal.

Budgies are no different than humans. They are attracted to each other as friends, but sometimes do not end up as a mating and/or breeding pair. The other question I have for you is are you sure you have a pair? Maybe you have two females or two males. Generally, it is best to not breed them until they are at least 1 1/2 year or two years old.

Name
    martin
    Thanks

Yup, I'm not breeding them as the female (who has a white and blue cere) is 7-8 months old, and the male is 1 and a half years old (def. a male)
    Spikey Izzy Coco Skyler

Name
    martin
    Thanks

but I've never seen its cere change color to that crusty brown color which is what i find a little strange, and which what makes me doubtful
    Spikey Izzy Coco Skyler

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks

She is quite young as yet, and generally females will not begin hormonal activity until about a year old. I have found that sometimes the mutation of the budgie causes the cere to be a lighter color in males, especially if it is a lighter colored bird like white and yellow. You say that the cere is "white and blue" In my view, that could still signal a male. If you are interested to know now, you could get an on-line DNA feather test, or get the test done at your Vet's office. Then you would know if you do have a pair. I feel that at about a year old, the cere should be either a light color or ivory color. And at that time, the cere will turn to a tan color or in some cases a brown color (depending upon the mutation), when the bird becomes hormonal. Then that would signal a female.

Name
    martin
    Thanks

Yellowface Greywing Skyblue Budgerigar
    Put that on google and it looks like the first image that is there (except the cere is a different color)
    Spikey Izzy Coco Skyler

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks

I did some research on-line. Here are a couple of websites that I feel would be good reads for you. Birds on Line .. budgies, has some great pictures and info about age as well as color of ceres. It also shows ceres when the females are hormonal. And also, those of lighter colored mutations.

The second website is Budgie Place. I think you can get some great information on that website about everything from breedings, to age, to foods, care, etc. There is also information about budgie behavior and how a male and female are different.

These two websites should be of great help to you. I did do the search you suggested, but like you, I only saw what I felt were male budgies. You do have a beautiful budgie, that is for certain!

Name
    martin
    Thanks

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/63402307228971667/

I went on some research, and found this picture of the budgie that looks similar to mine with the cere color like mine (the link above is the image I found when researching) and found that this picture was of a hen, so I hope mine is a hen, because it looks similar to mine, maybe mine has a lighter cere.
    Spikey Izzy Coco Skyler

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks

That sure is a unique and beautiful mutation. As I had shared, some mutations tend to have lighter ceres even in the males. In one of those articles I read on the websites I recommended, there was a good bit of information about the behavior of females vs. males that you might be interested to read.

Name
    martin
    Thanks

Thank you so much maxollie for taking time and researching and replying to my post appreciate it!
    Spikey Izzy Coco Skyler

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks

Stop by often and give us updates on them. I will be interested to find out if you do have a male and female! You are most welcome!

Remove Ads