where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thread: bird cage design

Hybrid View

Name
    Yishai
    Thanks

bird cage design

As some of you know I've been searching for a cockatoo for a while now. I'm happy to say I found one from a rescue and have made arrangments to bring her home, but more on that on a separate thread.

I had originally hoped to use Craigslist to find a decent sized cage and with the trouble finding a cockatoo until recently I haven't been as dillegent with my search as I should have been. There are not any that are suitable for a boffins cockatoo and I can't afford a new cage running 300+
    Therefore Id like to make a cage. The frame is no issue as I can safely make it with the proper woods and materials my problem is finding power coated wire to wrap the frame with. Most fencing is unsafe for a bird that will chew on the cage material so that's out of the question. So I am unsure what to use or do.
    Any advice or suggestions would be more then welcome.

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

Re: bird cage design

Have you tried to look for a painter that can powder coat the wire for you? My sister has a Cockatoo and his cage is looking pretty bad these days so she is looking for a place around here who would spray the cage for her instead of buying a new one. He cage is massive and way too expensive to replace so they are thinking it would be easier to have someone powder coat it for them. If you find stainless wire this is bird safe but I am afraid since you need a bigger cage it will be too expensive to do it with Stainless. Avian web has a good article on building cages here, http://beautyofbirds.com/buildingacage.html
    Fly Free Boomer, we will forever love you.

Administrator Tailfeather Community Administrator
    Name
    Marie
    Thanks

There are pre-coated panels they sell online for cage building, but I am unsure how much it would cost to build a cage from that. And as Deanna says, some painters will powder coat it for you. Stainless may not be too bad, if you make it kind of an aviary style cage - but you'd need a thickness that a Too won't chew through, so might get pricey. To find stainless, you tend to have to go to professional fencing retailers, rather than places like Home Depot.

You can also check ebay, sometimes they have cheap cages.

Toos tend to be expensive to keep, good luck with your cage hunt.

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,264 Times in 1,263 Posts

Did you think of trying E-Bay? Sometimes there are folks selling items that you can bid on, and get some really nice stuff for pretty cheap price. I have ordered bird cages on E-Bay before . . . new ones . . . for a good price!!

Name
    Yishai
    Thanks

Thank you for all your advice! a commercial sized cage came on Craigslist so I purchased it. 7.5 feet tall! This cockatoo better be happy!

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,264 Times in 1,263 Posts

Wow!! I think he will be SUPER HAPPY!! I'd love to see your setup once you get the cage and your parrot! Good Luck! Happy Easter to you and your flock!
    Last edited by maxollie; 04-03-2015 at 03:35 PM.

Name
    Clive
    Thanks

I think you made the right decision.
    Building can cost money to make it bird proof and safe. Cheaper to build aviaries size wise.
    If you are getting a Too then it would had to been very heavy wire.

Just a note: When Powder Coating, the cage would be stripped first, which has some cost. Here we would acid dip to clean it up (remove rust and paint) before it goes to the powder coaters.
    Powder coating is a process of apply a powder that is then baked on in an oven.

I have always been confused by terms Zinc, and not using galvanised materials. When aviary wire is galvanised, which is zinc based. Yet cages are not galvanised. And are normally powder coated. Or stainless for those who can afford the crazy prices these are.
    R.I.P my little ones.

Name
    Yishai
    Thanks

This cage has a clear plastic front which I really dont like so the clear plastic is just going to face the wall and i'll put a static background photo on it to make her feel more at home. THank you clawnz looking into it, it would have been a seriously big job to make it properly, I'm glad I didn't. I feel as though a ccage without all 4 sides may not got proper airflow so I'm putting a few small silent fans to provide very slow but continuous airflow from the top to bottom of the cage. My amazon is kept in a cage with a blanket surrounding 3 sides but thats going to be coming off for summer time.

Name
    Yishai
    Thanks

This page was referenced to me via a fb group but it is perfect for any type of aviary building project. As long as you are able to build a safe and strong frame! http://www.twpinc.com/wire-mesh-mate...ess-steel-t304

Remove Ads