where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thread: Is Bella a... boy? :0

Name
    Fleur
    Thanks

Is Bella a... boy? :0

Hi! First post. ^_^

I bought Bella maybe 2 years ago, and now I have been looking to get her a friend. I've been looking into a boy, since I heard Females tend to fight more, so I really am not wanting to breed her, just for the record.

So anyway, I thought to double check what sex Bella is, I thought I'd learn how to sex them on their Ceres.

(I always assumed she was female as that's what my pet store said.)

So anyway, I was kinda horrified when I heard she should have a light blue beak or brown/ tan. Lots of websites contradicted each other, so I've ended up very confused!

Bella's cere is Pink, with violet sort of dusting and veins on the outside of her nostrils.
    I'm not too sure anymore!

So I thought if I took a pic, and put it on here maybe someone more experience could try and guess.
    Fingers crossed these pics work.

Thank you!
    Last edited by Feathers; 04-04-2015 at 09:31 AM.

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,264 Times in 1,263 Posts

Re: Is Bella a... boy? :0

Hi, Fleur, and welcome to the community! Bella is just beautiful! I love her soft yellow and blue feathering. Bella is one of those mutations that are quite unique. As a result of the very light colors, sometimes it is difficult to sex them. To me, Bella is a girl, because I see white rings around the nostrils, as well as some tan in that beak. Her beak is not dark blue like most male budgies, but that is because of the mutation. I have a light yellow feathered budgie myself, and the cere is not bright blue either. However, in my case, my Muffin is a boy, because he does not have the white rings around the nostrils, and his behavior is similar to other males. Since she is two years old, have you ever seen her cere turn colors, to a light tan or brown color? Generally, when females get hormonal, the cere will change in color, even in this mutation. Since you don't have a male budgie, she may not go into full hormonal behavior, so perhaps you have not seen the color changes of the cere, during certain times of the year when the mating instincts kick in.

You could consider doing a google serach: Mutations of parakeets; OR Mutations of budgies. You should be able to find some great info on several different websites showing the ceres of mutations such as that of Bella. You also could consider doing a DNA test. You can get one on-line. They are very inexpensive, and I believe it is just a matter of pulling a few feathers in certain parts of her body, sending the kit back, and they will send you the result. Or you could have your Avian Vet or regular Vet do the test as well.

I totally agree that on occasion, two females do not do well together in a cage. I've had that experience myself in the past. Further, when you introduce a new bird into the cage, sometimes the bird that has been the only one may get territorial with the new one, not allowing it to eat, or being a little aggressive with it. So, I would suggest you consider having another cage for the new one for awhile until they get to know each other. It does not have to be a super big cage, just one that the new budgie can call home for awhile until you see how the two of them are going to get along. Often times it is a good idea to have a spare cage for emergencies anyway.

Is Bella a budgie that is pretty docile, and easy going? Generally, females are that way when they are the only one in the cage. Males are more active and somewhat more vocal than females.

I hope this information is helpful to you, and I look forward to seeing you and Bella on the forum often! Happy Easter!

Name
    Fleur
    Thanks

Thank you so much! You couldn't of been a better help and I'm grateful - and I'm sure she would be too of the compliments! I know near nothing about her colour, apart from she's not a regular keet!
    It something I'll definitely have to look into! Thanks so much for putting my worries at ease, and I have got another cage on order - bigger though, so the new birdie will be in that one for the meantime.
    As for being docile, she couldn't be more opposite! She's very aggresive towards other people and animals, with exceptions to me and her closely bonded guinea pig. Having said that she can be as nice as pie in the morning, but in the evening when she wants to sleep, I'm lucky to escape with my hand in tact xD but I love her all the same, and she just likes her beauty sleep I Guess! And she is very vocal. Always chirping her head off and wolf whistling, or mimicking my phone -_-

I think I'll leave the DNA testing, I can see what you mean now you say it which makes me happy! awe, I'll have to see Muffin, bet he's well cute

Thanks so much, can't wait to be more on the forums too, and I wish you a very happy Easter to you and your flock

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks

You can see a picture of my budgie, Muffin, and my cockatiel, Sunny, in my photo gallery on my profile. I will request you be my friend as well, that will put you on my contact list! You will be able to see his cere, which really isn't much different than Bella's. If Bella did end up to be a male, you should not have to worry about two males not getting along. I've homed budgies for years and years, and generally, other than sparring with each other on occasion, which is quite normal, they get along well together. One time I had four male budgies together in one cage and they got along with very little problem UNTIL, i purchased another one, thinking it was a male. Fast forward a few months, and one Xmas, I went to visit my family, came back home, and the whole bunch had been in a fight, feathers everywhere, and one of them, Pete, had a sprained or broken toe. I had no clue what the problem was, and had never had them fighting with each other. A couple of days later, I happened to notice that the last one I purchased and one of the males were "mating", so that told the tale of all of the males fighting for the female. So I took the two of them out of the cage, gave them their own cage, and shortly thereafter Buttercup laid a couple of eggs, right off the perch onto the cage floor and of course they broke. So, I decided to get a nest box, and soon she laid her eggs in the box and about 21 days later four baby chicks hatched. I never thought I'd ever breed birds, it was a first and last experience, but it was alot of fun watching the behavior and waiting for the eggs to hatch. Breeding is a risky business, and everything has to go perfect on the journey, or you could have some real problems with the pair. I was just plain lucky to succeed in the venture.

With the second cage, you can always separate them. I don't think that it is as difficult to separate budgies as it is bigger parrots once they are bonded. You can always have the cages close together. It sounds like Bella definitely is bonded to you and your guinea pig! That is too cute that she loves the guinea!! All birds have their own personality, and I do think when they get tired, they just want to sleep. My Muffin also will bite me at night when I put him to bed, so I try to not touch him or hover over him at night.

Muffin is a talker. He says, "what cha doing", "are you doing OK", and he also makes the tic toc sound of a clock. He makes every noise and chirp that my cockatiel makes, only in his little "budgie" voice. Cockatiels can be very loud at times and are very determined birds. They like to have their own way and will let you know about it, whereas, I have found that budgies are very hardy and loving birds who love their swings, their cages, their food, their owners, and most of all love life! Muffin turned 3 years old in October. I got him as a baby. Sunny, my tiel came from a prior owner who did not really know how old he, and I've had him for two plus years. He is quite the character, and loves to hammer and saw with his beak, on the bottom of the cage floor.
    I'm sure it will work out fine for you, and I will be watching for updates.

Name
    Fleur
    Thanks

Thanks again! And yes I'd love to see Pics of Muffin! Awh how sweet! Bella isn't a talker, but is always singing and copying whistles she hears.

I'd love to have you in my contacts to, I've found you very helpful!

I love tiels, and I have considered one before I just wasn't sure if Bella would be bullied or would bully the tiel. XD

Awh I think that is so sweet about that suprise clutch, I bet watching them grow was so cute! I couldn't really breed them as I don't really have the time to commit to them all! He he, and plus, I don't think I could give or sell them on either xD

I'm glad it's not just me with a bird that can be moody when she's tired, I do the same and try to play with her in the mornings and midday more, then she has the rest to herself.

I'm very excited, as Wed I think I'll be getting her friend, because I'm in town that day shopping with my friends as it's my Birthday xD if not maybe later that week

I'll def keep you updated. There was a gorgeous one I saw Thurs, and he looked happy and healthy.
    Fingers crossed he is still there!

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks

Happy Birthday, Fleur, Wishing you the best day ever, and many, many, more happy ones! (an early birthday greeting)!

I do think you are wise to get another budgie, rather than a tiel. I love both species, but cockatiels definitely are a determined parrot, and require much more interaction and time. They can get to be real "stinkers" on occasion. That is not to say you would not enjoy having one. If you would ever decide to do so, in my view, they both need to be in separate cages. Some folks do put them together, but budgies are a "distraction" to cockatiels, and tiels can get rather aggressive with them, biting their toes, chasing them out of their space, etc. I have homed budgies for over 60 years . . yikes!! . . now you know how old I really am . . a grandma with 4 beautiful granddaughters, ages from 26 to 10), and they are such sweet, sweet birds. My home would be so silent and empty without one. The four babies that hatched and the parents were rehomed to a girlfriend when I moved to an apartment and could not take them with me. Yes, it was definitely sad for me to have to give them away, but I know they have an excellent home and are all living together.

I'll look forward to hearing all about your new addition. What an "awesome" birthday present to yourself! We must be good to ourselves too! Thank you for the kind remarks about my Muffin. Yes, he is quite the character. I named him Muffin, because he reminded me of a poppy seed Muffin when I first saw him in the store. Another thought I have for you is that many members and folks who post here say that when they go to pick out a new bird, they just observe all of them, and sooner or later one will make eye contact with you, and you will know instantly if that is the one for you! That idea has worked for me on several occasions!

Name
    Charlie
    Thanks

Awww bella is gorgeous .... I was looking after my parents budgie a couple of weeks ago he was certainly a character! Mum said hes turned in to a brat since being here ... Maybe I spoiled him too much

He got on ok with my tiels as long as no one broke each others private space but ellen is right they will nip each others toes and try and be dominant over each other especially if you find a tiel like my Odin but thats another story!

Look forward to seeing you around and welcome! xxx
    Gone from our sight, But never our memories, Gone from our touch, But never our hearts

Princess Leia - Storm - - Yoda - Hunny & Suga

Odin Poppy Pheobe Spice Frodo Ari

Name
    Fleur
    Thanks

Thank you for the birthday wishes! Even if they are early they mean a lot

I would house them separately if I did decide. I think I'll wait for the tiel(s) until after I'm sorted with university, my mother, much to my upset wants to have my piggie while I'm there. I originally planned to take him, but he will be taken good care of and my entire family adore him, so it will just be the budgies I take! So after all there could be room for some tiels

Bella is such a character, I just hope she is going to be fine with the budgie I have a feeling she'll be the most dominant one! Haha. I'll definitely try that. I must admit I picked Bella for several reasons and she didn't pick me at all. I picked her because 1, she was stunning, 2, she was a lot smaller than the other birds, and was all hidden in a cramped cage with about 12 other birds. She's still small but ALOT healthier.

Just curious, what do you feed your birds? I can't get her to touch a single piece of fruit or vegetable, and I've tried loads! I'm worried she could be lacking vitamins. I try to get vitamin drops for her water but there really hard to get hold of. Also, I was told she could be just fed on seed? It's only until recently did I hear that seed is supposed to be a supplement and a pellet their main food?

Haha! They do have a way to brighten your home. Plus, she's my no-batteries-required alarm clock She always is singing in the morning and it's lovely to wake up to something so peaceful. Until she does her high pitch squaks xD do yours wake you up singing?

Hehe. Do you have any other birds? My pet shop has a gorgeous red macaw. He sings the great escape! But I get the feeling he's bored, always hanging from the bars and crying for attention. I'd love to have him, but I don't think my home is suitable at all, plus, Bella's nips hurt! I dread to think how much his do! XD

Name
    Fleur
    Thanks

Sorry Charlie! I didn't quite manage to see your post. It's so hard viewing on iPhone xD

Bella thanks you and so do I! And she knows it xD
    Haha, you can't spoil them too much can you? XD hehe, it's nice to treat them like the royalty they are. (Or so they think! Hehe)

That sounds good, I don't blame them for wanting their own space

Thank you and hope to see you around x

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks

There is always a debate about pellets. Some folks think pellets are the best food, and many Vets recommend them. I'm from the old school, and I will not feed my birds pellets. I've done some research about them, and just do not feel good about feeding them. They are man made, and not natural seeds, and I have read that especially in very small parrots like budgies and lovebirds, etc. they can cause health issues. I feed my Muffin a good seed mix with no extra additives in it, and then he also eats whole wheat bread pieces, loves leaf or fresh lettuce and cilantro. It takes time for them to get used to veggies. Patience with any food is a must. You can take fresh veggies and chop them up fine, and put some in another seed cup with a little seed, or you can hang them in the cage as well. Just don't feed parsley, because it is not recommended for budgies. We recently had a thread crated here about good and bad foods, toxic and non-toxic you might like to view. You also can google: good foods and seeds for budgies. And then: foods to never feed budgies. Both of these searches should give you plenty of information about feeding. I have found that budgies are not too crazy about fruit, but I know that Charlie feeds her flock fruits as well. I am hopeful she will read this post, and perhaps give you some information of what she feeds her birds. They eat an excellent variety of fruits, veggies and seeds, and I do believe she may feed a very small amount of pellets. For sure, you do not want to ever feed "just pellets". You could mix a very few pellets with a good seed mix, but not just pellets, because they are very dry foods, and they can dehydrate your bird, and the birds will not be able to poop. They require your bird to drink lots and lots of water, and I have found that budgies don't drink lots of water. The name of that thread I mentioned is" The most complete list . . . Good and Bad!!
    Last edited by maxollie; 04-06-2015 at 08:22 PM.

Name
    Fleur
    Thanks

Thanks! You sure have put me at ease, to be honest too, I didn't like the idea of them, and while Bella seems healthy with what I have been giving her for the past two years, I think I'll stick. I might try bread though, as that's something I don't think I've tried her on.
    She eats Trill, and I love it, it's got little bits of shells and grits in aswell as what looks to be a quality seed mix. Do you have any experience with this brand?

Finely chopping those veggies is an idea! I only hung them in her cage. I might buy her some cilantro as that's something I don't eat and don't ever have any of.
    Parsley off the list!

I'll look into Charlie's threads, thanks for the info

Right, I'm off to chop veggies for Bella and the piggie x) let's hope 10000000th time lucky!

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks

I have not used Trill, but I have seen it mentioned on the forum. I never feed just gravel grit that you see in the box. It is a no no for small birds. Years ago, we always fed it, but found that it is way too hard to digest and often times causes intestinal problems.

Cilantro has sort of a lemony taste. My Muffin LOVES it! And I also love it! I use it in salads as well as on tacos, or in tuna or egg salad. You need to acquire the taste of it, and some folks just don't like it. I'm thinking it may have been Charlie that spoke about Trill! I would stick with whole wheat bread and not white bread. I prefer the whole wheat flour. Also, you can feed cherrios, grape nuts (my birds love them) and rice krisipes as a treat, or in a separate cup, or even mix it with the seed. Some folks also feed dried fruits with no sugars or additives. I always try to feed foods that are low in salt and sugar content. And definitely no processed foods such as cheese. Dairy is not recommended for budgies and other small birds.

Name
    Fleur
    Thanks

I assume it's grit, but to be truthful it's been a while since I read the box ingredients, I shall look!
    I definitely won't buy grit packets or whatever they are in a box, it's advertised as a feed supplement but I never got round to getting it, which is lucky I didn't!

I'm not a salad-y or veg person. Which is very awkward when I decide to go vegetarian, I end up living in jacket potato, quorn and <3 pasta <3. Although I might even try this cilantro, it does sound rather tasty!

Ah! Cool! I'm glad I'm not the only one buying average Trill.
    I've tried her with all those things!! She won't even give them a second look x_x she's so fussy. Basically if it's not millet spray, seed, mineral block or cuttlebone, she won't eat it... Ugh! Why can't she be a low maintenance budgie? :9

I'm glad to say I haven't consider giving her any dairy products so far x)
    Thanks for all the info again, I feel I've benefited so much!

Name
    Charlie
    Thanks

Hello again .... Yes I do feed mine fruits and yes small amounts of pellets I also avoid trill like the plague!

My lovies and tiels will eat apricots fresh dipped in seed dried cranberries chopped fine <make sure no sulphites in any dried fruit you buy> pomegranate seeds mine like fresh but also love them dried in the oven pear done in strips with a veg peeler mango mashed with seed raspberries blueberries and satsuma slices ... As for veggies kale savoy cabbage brussel sprouts broccoli baby corn sugar snap peas defrosted frozen sweet corn and peas green beans grated raw beetroot sweet potatoes red and green chillies salad cress coriander and dill .... They also eat organic fruit baby foods mixed with seeds 1/4 of a rich tea biscuit between them or toasted wholemeal/multigrain bread with a tiny bit of honey or cheerios as a treat sometimes shredded wheat brown rice and pasta boiled with fresh hot chillis and 3 times a week a teaspoon of pellets go in the food dishes. Ive been quite lucky that mine have taken to trying things sometimes it just how you prepare it...

Now Trill .... I used to buy it and mix it in with my tiels seed until they changed it and added the nutrivits and shells...The shells I wasnt very happy about as they are from snails and as you know snails can carry parasites that cause worms and even death in cats and dogs as to the nutrivits i found they would struggle to poop so were drinking more water which then would cause watery poops... There has also been cases ive read online where birds have died after eating the trill nutrivit recipie but were fine on the previous trill most for many years.

When I had my mums bird here she was feeding him trill and vitakraft cocktail which it was obvious he didnt like so I fed him johnston and jeff cockatiel/parakeet mix ... And he loved it! he also ate fresh veg here which my folks said he would never touch ... When he first arrived he was overweight never moved just watched tv or slept ... When he went home after just a week he was running all over his cage bouncing from perch to perch playing with toys and even flying again! I feel how he acted before was poor diet.
    Gone from our sight, But never our memories, Gone from our touch, But never our hearts

Princess Leia - Storm - - Yoda - Hunny & Suga

Odin Poppy Pheobe Spice Frodo Ari

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks

If I was a bird, I'd fly all the way to the UK and eat all the awesome foods Charlie feeds every day. And while I was there, I'd just fly on over and meet Bella. However, since I'm stuck over here in the USA, as a human person, I will just have to pretend I'm visiting!!

Remove Ads