Tailfeathers
Contact | Tour
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thread: How Do You Know When Your Single Tiel Is Done Laying Infertile Eggs?

Name
    Kalei
    Thanks

How Do You Know When Your Single Tiel Is Done Laying Infertile Eggs?

Penny laid one egg last week Saturday and a second egg 2 days later on Monday and it's now 5 days later and no egg. She has been interested in her 2 eggs off and on throughout the day.

How long of a period has your single tiel gone between eggs?

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,279 Times in 1,278 Posts

Re: How Do You Know When Your Single Tiel Is Done Laying Infertile Eggs?

Generally, tiels lay eggs every other day. It appears that she may be finished up with this "clutch" (batch), so I would just let her have her two eggs for a period of time, until she completely loses interest in them. Sometimes they don't pay much attention to them for a few days or so, and then all of a sudden they get very serious about setting on them. You want to think of a goal of max setting time of 21-28 days, from the time the first egg was laid, because if you don't allow ample time for her to nest with them, and abandon the eggs (show absolutely no interest in them for serveral days), she will possibly lay more eggs soon after this clutch. And you do not want to encourage that kind of behavior, because it can turn into chronic egg laying. (sometimes as often as once a month or 5 weeks), which is not healthy for hen tiels.

We have another member here, Clive, who has shared that with a single hen, it is difficult to know how many and how often the eggs will be laid. I once homed a single hen, and my Ollie would lay her eggs every other day, and every time, she would lay four eggs. So, it varies from hen to hen.
    Last edited by maxollie; 04-19-2015 at 09:58 AM.

Name
    Clive
    Thanks

Thanks Maxolli.

The trouble is there is no set patten with laying in single hens.
    They could lay an egg days apart from the one before. I would say not more than five days though. I can't remember how Roxy used to lay, but it was very random.
    Not one of her first four eggs were laid while sitting in a cage. And after that she was put on Lupron to stop her.
    How often! Some have been know to lay most of the year, others are more seasonal.
    How many! random numbers from one or two, to what could be termed a full clutch.
    As much as I dislike saying this. Disrupting them can stop the cycle. How you disrupt is the hard question.
    Try all the normal things people talk about, but do them all together, not just one at a time. Change cage around, extend full darkness, cut back on soft foods, No touching her body. You could also try a different cage even. When she lays put eggs on a paper towel to stop them rolling around. Buy dummy ones and replace them.
    Flooding! I am not sure you can try this with single hens not nesting. That is setting them up with a number of dummy eggs to try and trick the body into thinking it cannot cope with any more.
    R.I.P my little ones.

Name
    Kalei
    Thanks

Thank you Maxollie and Clawnz for your posts! Penny isn't showing any obvious signs that a 3rd may be on the way and her last egg was 6 days ago. She is showing more interest in her existing 2 eggs now by sticking around in her cage a little more.

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,279 Times in 1,278 Posts

My Ollie started laying her eggs every 4-5 weeks from the first egg she laid, and never missed the usual every other day. That behavior continued for 15 months straight. A couple of times she did lay her egg at night rather than the daytime. For a single hen, evidently this is rare. However, I always thought that my Ollie was a "breeder" hen, who ended up in a Pet Shop, and was sold for a baby tiel (no more than 12 weeks of age), because only 3 months went by and she started her chronic egg laying. I tried every approach that I read about other than the lupron or spaying, which I do not believe in, because I have read both can kill the hens.

Ollie did not seem to miss a nest box. She just spent her time on her eggs as if she was in a nest box, but was setting on the paper towel on the cage floor.

Remove Ads