Contact | Tour
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thread: Nest

Name
    Selva
    Thanks

Nest

I have two pairs of budgies. One pair has been with me for a year and other two months. I set up two nests inside one cage now the issue is my old budgie female goes inside both nests. Why is it so? I don't have space to keep them in two different cages. The cage is large enough for them
    Pet lover

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,296 Times in 1,295 Posts

Re: Nest

Hi, Selva. From my own experience of breeding a pair of budgies a few years ago, I took the pair out of the cage and gave them their own cage and a nest box. At the time, I had five budgies in one cage, and the males had all been in a fight over the female, so when I realized there was "love" developing in my cage, I chose to take out the pair that bonded, and it worked quite well for me. I ended up with four precious little chicks.

i can fully understand why the hen is in both of the nests, because simply put, she is looking to lay eggs, and really isn't focused on where she lays them right now. She is attracted to the nest, because that is most likely stimulating her hormones to lay eggs. With the two nests in the cage, she might lay in both of them. Ideally, that is not the best set-up.

Further, with two pairs being in the cage, you may end up with some sparring over the nests, or some aggression by one pair vs. another. How old is the new pair. I presume they are at least 1 1/2 years old (ideally, that is a good age to mate them), and they are not less than a year old.

So my suggestion would be to get another cage. it does not have to be real big, because they will use it for their "home" while she is nesting and once the chicks, if any, are hatched, and have fledged (learned to fly), you most likely could use the cage they were using for the babies, and put them back in the bigger cage.

Personally, I would not be mating both pair at a time. Once the first pair is finished with the hatching and care of the babies, you can then try mating the second pair you recently brought home. As to not having space, I see not reason why you could not get a smaller cage and set it on top of the big cage. I have stacked cages befoe and had no problem doing so. I really think you have a chance of much better outcome if you put the pairs in separate cages now that you have the nest boxes.

Name
    Clive
    Thanks

Well said Maxollie.
    I would say there could be trouble in the situation above.
    To the point that the eggs or young will be at risk from the other birds in a small area.
    R.I.P my little ones.

Name
    Selva
    Thanks

Thank you both so much for the reply. I do have a very small cage infact I will put the new ones in there without nest and wait for the bonded one to breed.ys they are a year and above
    Pet lover