Contact | Tour
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thread: Rip Sapphire

Name
    Amy
    Thanks

Post Rip Sapphire

Sapphire was a healthy little budgie. She stay with me for 11 days. Petsmart was very nice to give me another bird because it was in the 2 weeks.

Meka
    Lyla
    Chika
    Leilani
    Stardust

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

Re: Rip Sapphire

I am sorry to hear about Sapphire. Poor little girl died way young
    Fly Free Boomer, we will forever love you.

Name
    Amy
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by boomer girl View Post
    I am sorry to hear about Sapphire. Poor little girl died way young
    Thank you Denna it was upset. She did not have the right food and she die of starving Millet kept her alive. Petsmart should of told me what they feed her

Meka
    Lyla
    Chika
    Leilani
    Stardust

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

Oh no, that is just awful Amy. Was it the wrong size of seed you were feeding her? I would have thought that she would eat the same kind of seed mix as Leilani. Poor sweet girl and you must feel just awful about her dying. Sending you a big hug and truly I am sorry for your loss.
    Fly Free Boomer, we will forever love you.

Name
    Amy
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by boomer girl View Post
    Oh no, that is just awful Amy. Was it the wrong size of seed you were feeding her? I would have thought that she would eat the same kind of seed mix as Leilani. Poor sweet girl and you must feel just awful about her dying. Sending you a big hug and truly I am sorry for your loss.
    I did not know she was on seed I have pellets and she did not touch them. I do feel awful. thanks

Meka
    Lyla
    Chika
    Leilani
    Stardust

Name
    Clive
    Thanks

When you got Sapphire one of the first things you should of asked. Is what is she being fed. This would of made the transition a lot easier on her.
    It is the very first thing I ask when a bird comes in for boarding. Second is take their weight. Third is get a gram stain sorted. (Vet check).
    If you had done both the first two things poor Sapphire would still be with us.
    Why you did not notice, when you have other birds is beyond me. I am sorry if it seems I am pointing out a failure on your part.

Just as a note Budgies do not do well on an all pellet diet anyway. If you insist on feeding pellets there are a few things you should consider.
    Amount: Most parrots 25% or under per daily diet. Eclectus: one spoonful only per week. if any. Best advice floating around is Zero pellets for them.
    As for quality of pellets: All natural, no colouring. no salt, no sugar, minimum filler (soy and ground corn). No dehydrated fruit unless naturally dried (no sulphides). No man made supplements. We could also push for 100% organic. If there any that come close to this criteria then all good.
    R.I.P my little ones.

Name
    Amy
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by clawnz View Post
    When you got Sapphire one of the first things you should of asked. Is what is she being fed. This would of made the transition a lot easier on her.
    It is the very first thing I ask when a bird comes in for boarding. Second is take their weight. Third is get a gram stain sorted. (Vet check).
    If you had done both the first two things poor Sapphire would still be with us.
    Why you did not notice, when you have other birds is beyond me. I am sorry if it seems I am pointing out a failure on your part.

Just as a note Budgies do not do well on an all pellet diet anyway. If you insist on feeding pellets there are a few things you should consider.
    Amount: Most parrots 25% or under per daily diet. Eclectus: one spoonful only per week. if any. Best advice floating around is Zero pellets for them.
    As for quality of pellets: All natural, no colouring. no salt, no sugar, minimum filler (soy and ground corn). No dehydrated fruit unless naturally dried (no sulphides). No man made supplements. We could also push for 100% organic. If there any that come close to this criteria then all good.
    You see Leilani came from petsmart and I had no problem feed Leilani Pellets. I got new pellets that has All natural, no colouring. no salt, no sugar, minimum filler (soy and ground corn). No dehydrated fruit unless naturally dried (no sulphides). No man made supplements.100% organic. I did not know with Sapphire,she ate a little bit then 10th day she knock all her food down.

Meka
    Lyla
    Chika
    Leilani
    Stardust

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Trish
    Thanks

Your bird starved to death? OMG, that's awful. I feed both pellets and good quality Budgie seed. There is so much information out there..some say no seed some people say feed seed.. So I offer the best of both worlds and give both. I actually see all three of my birds eat both types of food.

Name
    Amy
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Trishbell View Post
    Your bird starved to death? OMG, that's awful. I feed both pellets and good quality Budgie seed. There is so much information out there..some say no seed some people say feed seed.. So I offer the best of both worlds and give both. I actually see all three of my birds eat both types of food.
    Yes because I did not know she ate seeds. I only have pellets on me

Meka
    Lyla
    Chika
    Leilani
    Stardust

Name
    Charlie
    Thanks

what is the pellet brand you use now Amy?

Sorry for your loss ... she was beautiful xx
    Gone from our sight, But never our memories, Gone from our touch, But never our hearts

Princess Leia - Storm - - Yoda - Hunny & Suga

Odin Poppy Pheobe Spice Frodo Ari

Name
    Amy
    Thanks

[QUOTE=Charlie ;838076]what is the pellet brand you use now Amy?

Sorry for your loss ... she was beautiful xx[/QUOT]
    thanks

ZuPreem FruitBlend,Kaytee,and Higgins Pet Food Intune Natural Diet. For seeds for Stardust is Vitakraft® Menu Parakeet Food.

Meka
    Lyla
    Chika
    Leilani
    Stardust

Name
    Clive
    Thanks

Some time back I posted some of the links and comments about feeding pellets.
    And it may help you to read some of those.
    Here is one quote. Avoid pellets as much as possible: (Other than, at best, Harrison's which vets commonly recommend and sell - and even then pellets should only be part of a healthy diet, not an exclusive diet).

Most pellets contain chemicals such as artificial coloring / flavoring / preservatives, etc . Parrots may be able to tolerate these for a year or two, but once these chemicals build up in the "system" to a certain degree, symptoms such as feather plucking, aggression and, in some species, toe tapping and wing flipping, aggression may appear.

Pellets may cause kidney problems, particularly in birds that don't drink much. Also, there is s enough anecdotal and circumstantial evidence that pellets may cause major health problems for mutations, the reason of which is not quite known.

*Please note: If your bird's diet does include pellets, please be aware of the fact that overly feeding citrus fruits (including oranges) to your birds can lead to "Iron Overload Disease."

All the information can be found on this page
    http://www.tailfeathersnetwork.com/c...eeding-Pellets

The Dangers Associated with Grit in a Parrot's Diet: Grit is an important aid in helping certain birds, such as finches, canaries and other passerines, digest food - but this does NOT apply to parrots. Parrots have a smaller exit opening from the stomach into the intestines, so grit remains trapped in the stomach causing internal blockage. The birds may show neurological symptoms, weight loss, and eventually death.
    R.I.P my little ones.

Remove Ads