Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: We have Eggs

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,264 Times in 1,263 Posts

Re: We have Eggs

That is really great news, Bianca! If she is making a fuss over you touching the eggs, you are correct to leave them alone. You don't want her to abandon any of them because if they are fertile they will not hatch, if she does not provide the proper body heat to all of the eggs.

Is your nestbox one that has the lid on the top? You can look in the box on occasion and check out how she is setting on those eggs. It is truly amazing how they manage to keep all of those eggs under them. They are always moving the eggs around so that each side of the egg gets the perfect amount of heat. And you would think a little budgie could never have room to set on all of them, but I could bet she will get the job done.

It is generally 18-21 days for the first one to hatch, so you don't have very long to wait to see if they are fertile. Your signal will be the male getting right into that nest box when the first egg begins to hatch. The baby will pip (break the shell with its little beak) the egg, and soon the shell will break away and the first baby will be here. You should be able to hear the peeping of the baby in the shell just prior to hatching, and then you will hear it crying for food. They will immediately feed it.

Teenager
    Name
    Bill
    Thanks

From those 7 eggs she laid, you will be getting some living results soon. Anyou say they are still mating and he treats her well. Sounds like they will be good parents to the babies when they hatch. It is fun to watcha baby bird grow up. I like to see all their growing stages. Good luck with your birds.

Name
    Bianca
    Thanks

Thank you Maxollie and Birdmanca for your Replay. Well we have 2 pinkies which hatched on June 21 and June 22. They were Egg 2 and 3. Egg number 1 didn't hatched. How long should I leave that Egg in there before I can take it out??
    Maxollie yeah it is a wooden Nestbox with a lid. Now that there are 2 pinkies so far
    I'm in the Nestbox twice a day to check on the baby's to make sure they get fed and to make sure they are doing ok.

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks

Awwww!!!! Congratulations!!!! I would leave that egg in its place at least until all of the eggs have or have not hatched. It may get pretty crowded in the box, so once the chicks are all out of shells, except for the ones that don't hatch, you can take all of them out. I think she will most likely push it to the side of the box before long, because she knows it is not going to hatch. That will give her a little more room. But until the hatching process is completely over, I would not disturb her eggs. I'm soooo happy for you!! You are doing a great job checking on the family. Do keep us posted!

Name
    Bianca
    Thanks

Thank you Ellen. I'm very excited to see what they will turn into. Snowflake is all white and red eyes and Bosco is a normal green. I will keep up my updates

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks

You should have some very unique babies! I would say Snowflake is considered to be an albino (or white lutino), since she has the red eyes. You could end up with some all yellow budgies, depending upon her parents (the lutino often has yellow babies as well), and with Bosco, most probably some that look just like him, plus some that may have a mix of yellow, green and/or white.

When I bred my budgies, Buttercup (the mom was yellow (no red eyes), with grey wings. Niki (the dad), was a normal green. I ended up with two that looked like mom and two that looked like Dad. However, my female or male did not have the red eyes (Lutino mutation), so you could end up with some real beauties! You will find that no matter what you end up with, you are going to be in LOVE with all of them! They are simply precious!

Name
    Bianca
    Thanks

Yeah I'm very excited to see what they look like Ellen. The first 2 babys are doing great and growing and Mum and Dad are doing a great job looking after then. Today baby number 3 hatched

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks

Aww! They are doing GREAT!!

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

How exciting that you now have three little babies. I wonder how many more of all of those eggs will hatch? Hopefully not all of them or the parents and you will be very busy trying to keep them all happy and fed.
    Fly Free Boomer, we will forever love you.

Name
    Bianca
    Thanks

I hope that not all of them hatch because it will be a very busy time ��

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks

Get yourself some baby bird formula and have it on hand just in case you need it. There are several brands available at the pet shops. Personally, I don't know what brands would be sold in Canada. Here in the USA there are several good ones. I don't prefer Kaytee here in America, but there are others that will work. Also, get a plastic syringe to use when you feed them. As I had mentioned, educate yourself on hand feeding. It may sound scary, but it really is not at all. The only thing you have to remember is to feed slow, and do not overfeed, because the formula can aspirate into the lungs and the baby will die.

The baby food will keep for along time, because it is powder, so if it were me, I'd get my supplies lined up just in case you need them. With the great start the parents have with the new chicks, you may not need to hand feed, but on the side of caution, be prepared.

I have to say with the first 3 hatching, you just might end up with all of them hatching. We shall see. Isn't it a fun experience? For me it sure was and I loved to hear the new babies peeping softly.

Name
    Bianca
    Thanks

So since yesterday chick nr 4 hatched. It should have been today but it hatched yesterday. All in all we have 4 babys and 4 eggs left. I check on them twice a day to make sure they are all doing good and the parents take great care of them.

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks

That is such awesome news! The parents evidently are old enough to be "mature", and determined to feed all of them. Sometimes they lay eggs during the night, so that is probably why the egg hatched a day early. Each day that passes gives those babies a super chance to be normal, healthy and prepared to fledge (fly)! Each egg that hatches gives them another mouth to feed. I found that my last hatchling (#4), was the one who was smaller and needed a little boost of formula after he crawled out of the nest box. They had fed him, but he just needed a little push to keep him healthy. He needed those nutrients to be a normal size after growing. But he also was eating seed, so I just gave a very little formula morning and night for about 10 days. And that worked great for me! Congrats! The parents AND you are doing fine!
    Last edited by maxollie; 06-26-2015 at 11:58 AM.

Name
    Bianca
    Thanks

I got feeding formula here. I went and bought some just incase i need to help them feeding. I thought better have some incase. But sofar they all fine and the crops are always pretty full when i check on them.

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

That is great the parents are taking such good care of them and I am happy they do not mind you looking in on the babies now and then to make sure they are OK.
    Fly Free Boomer, we will forever love you.

Remove Ads