where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: We have Eggs

Name
    Bianca
    Thanks

Re: We have Eggs

Here I am again with a Update. Since today we have 6 Baby's now. 2 Eggs left. I check on them twice a day to make sure the Baby's have a full Crop. Mom and Dad taking great care of them. I have noticed that Bosco lost a bit of Weight. Is that normal because he is so busy now or do I have to worry?

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,262 Times in 1,261 Posts

Yes, that is very normal. He will regain his weight after the babies have all crawled out of the box, have fledged, and are eating seeds on their own. They have been awesome parents so far! Isn't it amazing how they care for their young?

Name
    Bianca
    Thanks

I'm so amazed on how they do it and so far they do an wonderful job. Two more eggs to go and if they hatch then they have 8 baby's. I just hope that the youngst one then get enough food because the bigger once will push for food. Do you think I have to help out then?

Name
    Bianca
    Thanks

Sad News I checked the Nestbox after it was feeding time and I have seen the baby 3 has died. I'm not sure what happened there because I always looked twice a day to make sure everything is alright. The crop is full on that little guy. I'm upset right now

Name
    Bianca
    Thanks

Today Egg 7 hatched that leave 1 Egg left. But instead of 7 Baby's there is only 6 so fare. Sadly one little baby didn't make it

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks

Aww! I'm so sorry you lost #3. Everything seemed to be going well. Since the crop was full it would seem it was getting good nutrition. It would be difficult to know what happened. Sometimes it is genetic related and perhaps it was just a natural passing. I'm sorry I missed your post yesterday!! You only have one to hatch. They really did well considering these are their first chicks. You definitely play a part in their success by giving them an excellent diet and watching over them. Yes, watch the last couple or three hatchlings to be sure you see full crops and pink toes. If they get dehydrated for lack of food their feet don't get circulation and will look dark colored. Of course you know to watch them all but especially those last ones hatched.
    Last edited by maxollie; 07-02-2015 at 04:27 PM.

Name
    Bianca
    Thanks

Yesterday evening I had to hand feed one off the younger once the crop was totally empty and I checked the bigger once they have been full. I was so scared but I know I had to help.

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks

It was a good idea to feed it. They are sooooo fragile when first hatched. You may have to feed in the nighttime. I would check the babies a couple of times in the night to be sure all is well in the nest. You know to feed them when the crop is empty. I admire you for observing them carefully. Now that you have begun handfeeding that one, it may require night and day feedings. The bird formula has lots of nutrition in it, and you will see a big difference in the baby(s)! Once you get the hang of it, it is not all that difficult. We have to be sure we don't overfeed and feed slow. You may have to feed the last 2-3 as well.
    Last edited by maxollie; 07-03-2015 at 07:18 AM.

Name
    Bianca
    Thanks

How do I keep this little guys warm. I wrapped a towel around it yesterday but not sure if that's the way to do it. I hear the baby's a few times a night. Is that when I should check on them aswell?

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks

Are you speaking about keeping them warm when you feed them? A small piece of soft flannel will also work. The towel is fine as well. Any small covering will keep the chick from getting a draft. Yes, I would say when you hear them in the night, or anytime in the day as well, peek into the box. The parents should be feeding them when you hear them, but I think they have soooo many little mouths to feed right now, they probably cannot keep up. It is great they are allowing you to check out the babies. Some parents would be hissing and chasing you off, so that is a real plus. After that last egg hatches, that part of the journey will be over.

if you have not done so, go on Youtube, and search "handfeeding baby budgies". Also google the same words, and see if you can find information as to how often caregivers feed them.

Name
    Bianca
    Thanks

Yes when I have to step in and help them feed. I looked out a very warm little blanked it's a tinny one and will be great for them. Ok thank you I will listen out for there little peek and then keep on checking them.
    Well she chatters at me when I look in but when I put my hand in she will leave and I can check on them.
    I'm glad I picked up some hand feeding formula that I was able to help them.
    I was checking out everything I could find on hand feeding baby budgies.

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks

It is quite common to hand feed when there are so many chicks. When I bred my budgies, the last one to hatch #4, needed some formula as well. The parents were too busy getting ready to mate and the hen lay more eggs, so they were trying to get the four chicks out of the nest box ASAP! That is one thing I learned about birds . . once they get started mating and laying eggs, it is always on their mind!! So do not be surprised if your pair starts the process all over again. I would suggest you consider getting some dummie budgie eggs (you may be able to pick some up at the pet shop, or you can get them on-line). I have read that depending upon where you live around the world they can be quite expensive to ship. Hopefully you will be able to find some locally at your pet shop(s). If she starts to lay eggs again soon, then each day take out the real egg and replace it with the dummie egg. Or in the alternative, you can boil the real eggs and give them back to her. It comes to the point where one almost has to make this decision, because the hen really needs to rest from setting and laying (which sometimes does not happen), and get her calcium reserves back to tip top shape. Nature has just made most all birds and animals to procreate constantly. In the wild, it is different than when we cage them. From what I've read, the wild birds do not have nearly as many clutches as caged birds. They generally are seasonal in laying eggs and hatching chicks. It seems that there are more and more caged birds mating and laying eggs regularly rather than seasonal.

Name
    Bianca
    Thanks

I will definitely try to get the dummy eggs because i don't want her to have any more chicks. Like you said she aswell as her mate need a rest. Its hard on them and i will do my part now and help feeding the little once. Thank you so much for all your help and advice you cgave meso far.

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks

You are most welcome. We will pray all of the chicks will grow and thrive. You will love every one of them! They have a way of touching our hearts with their hearts. It is a forever feeling that is so special,!

Name
    Bianca
    Thanks

So the last Egg hatched on July 05/2015 and that makes a total of 7 Baby's would have been 8 but one didn't make it and the very first Egg never hatched. I will post some pictures of them. I just cleaned Nestbox on Saturday and it looks horrible already.

All scrambled together

My two oldest once now 2weeks old

Time to fill there bellies

Remove Ads