Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: We have Eggs

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,244 Times in 1,243 Posts

Re: We have Eggs

Evidently, the youngest must have tried to crawl out. I hope one of the parents did not push him out. Yes, the parents are getting antsy to start mating again, and from what I have read, even in the wild, this is just Nature's way of "procreation". They want to get those babies out of the nest ASAP! And of course this time around she laid all of those eggs. The more eggs they lay, the more frustration of the parents after the eggs hatch.

It is great you are handling them and socializing them. You are setting a bond with each one. That is a good idea, for sure. They will be super tame and I think you are going to just love everyone interacting with you. What I loved most about my four was that each one had its own personality. One might be very shy, another one very bold, and usually all of them are very active. It really is fun to watch them at this age. They definitely are all over the place. And they are fast for sure!

Name
    Bianca
    Thanks

I really hope she is not pushing them out because the youngest one is only 3.5 weeks old. I check the baby's twice a Day just to make sure they are all doing good and that they not get pecked on from the parents. The two oldest once in there own cage are doing great but are still abit sleepy but I guess that's normal there are only 5 weeks old. They know where the food dishes are and I see them going there and cracking some of there seeds.

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks

I think it takes some time for the older ones to adjust to the cage. Covering the cage three sided in the daytime gives them comfort and they are not exposed entirely to light, so I feel that also makes them sleepy. And also, being in a small nest is more "cozy" if you will.

Do you have a travel cage that you can use if they need to be taken to the Vet for check up, or any other reason? My thinking is that if you don't have one, I would invest in one, because if for any reason the parents don't finish taking care of those that are left in the nest, you will most likely have to pull them from the nest, and you need a smaller cage for them. Most likely they would not be perching as yet. I also have heard of using a 10 gallon aquarium for the very young. It does not have to be a new one, but would need to be cleaned and sterilized completely. My first cockatiel breeder used aquariums for the hatchling, because he hand fed most everyone of them at some point between hatching and fledging. i believe he had some nesting material in the bottom of the aquarium, and for the top, he covered it with a piece of cloth netting. The netting was finely weaved so they could not get caught in it should they try to crawl out when he was not available to watch them. You can take a hot water bottle and place warm water in it, and put it on one end of the aquarium to give them some warmth. Or you can take some pieces of flannel and warm them and place in the bottom. I also have read of folks using an electric heating pad for warmth. Personally, I would not use one because of the electrodes in the pad. To me, that would not be good for them. I'm just thinking ahead as to what you might do if you are forced to pull the chicks that remain in the nest.

Are the older ones drinking water as well?

Name
    Bianca
    Thanks

Yes i have seen them by the water dish aswell. I have a travel cage just in case i have to take them to the vet. I have a small cage aswell which i can use incase they stop feeding them. Today i have seen that dad was trying to feed on of the babies that was peeking out of the Nestbox and Mom chased him away. That the first time i jave seen her doing it. Incase Mom stops feeding them i will make sure i have everything i need to continuing to dinish bring up the little once.

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks

I have no doubt you can feed them if need be. Thanks for the update!

Name
    Bianca
    Thanks

I'm back with a little update. The baby's age iare from 5 - 6.5 weeks old. I took them away from there Parents because they started peck them out of the Nestbox and stop the youngest one to go in to the Nestbox. They all eat the seed and the little one is starting right now with some help of the older once. They all so cute and getting very active now and starting to fly. I will attach some picture. Mom is pure whit with red eyes and dad is a normal green. Maybe somebody can help with the Sex. I can tell with a few but the others I'm not so sure.

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks

Oh Bianca! They are all beautiful! You sure have some gorgeous mutations, and they all look so very healthy. It is difficult to say how you got such a variety of colors. I would imagine the white mom had a parent that was blue, and also one that may have been white like her, or even a light yellow color, because there is one baby that is blue with powder yellow colored feathers. And the Dad may have also had a yellow parent. From what I have researched, I don't think green budgies produce blue chicks. But it has been a long time since I did that research so I may have forgotten what info I found. I'm not sure that I ever mentioned to you to go on-line and look for a website named Budge Place. On that website there is a link that shows many, many different mutations and their names. Don't you just LOVE all of them? And isn't nature just marvelous?

As to their sex, it looks to me like one of the powder blue ones with the pink colored cere is a girl. All of the other ones right now look male to me, but it is too early to know for sure. I would say in another few weeks, you probably could go on-line and get a DNA sexing kit and send in the feathers from each one and get the results. I don't know what they would charge you for all of them. Maybe they have a discount for ordering several kits.

You did make the right decision to take them out of the nest box. They look very happy and healthy. You really did yourself proud with this pair and their little ones. Congratulations on a job well done! I know how you will enjoy them all. I had a super loving feeling for my four babies. Thanks for the update. I will welcome seeing more updates whenever it is convenient for you.

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

They are all beautiful little babies and I am happy they are on there own now so the parents can get a break and the babies will not get hurt by the parents. It has to be so much fun to sit there and watch all of these cuties fly around and playing together. You did a great job Bianca.
    Fly Free Boomer, we will forever love you.

Teenager
    Name
    Bill
    Thanks

With her having laid 7 eggs, appears you are going to have a lot of baby birds soon at your home. Enjoy watching a birds parent raising them. It is fun to observe.

Name
    Bianca
    Thanks

Thank you guys. they are all growing up bow and flying and playing with each other. i just love watching them and it is amazing how fast they grow up. Mum and Dad did a amazing job with them.

I will need to get some advice from you guys and i hope somebody can help me. Well in a few Weeks back i talked about my other pair and the Female laid 1 Egg and then throwing it out of the Nestbox she also did that with the second Egg both Eggs broke on the Cage floor. That was on July 10th and July 12th.
    From then on the laid her Egg in the Nestbox the Dates are:
    Egg 1 July15th Not Fert.
    Egg 2 July 18th Not Fert.
    Egg 3 July 20th Not Fert.
    Egg 4 July 22nd Not Fert.
    Egg 5 July 24th Not Fert.
    Egg 6 July 27th Not Fert.
    Egg 7 July 30th Not Fert.
    Egg 8 Aug 02nd Not Fert.
    Egg 9 Aug 04th Not Fert.
    Egg 10 Aug 06th
    Egg 11 Aug 09th
    Egg 12 Aug 11th

I didn't take the Eggs away yet which are Not Fert. because i thought she will lay now then. But as of now she has 12 Eggs in the Box and the 2 the broke counts 14 Eggs all together. I dont know what to do if i should take the first 6 Eggs away which are Not Fert. out or leave them in. Will she ever stop laying is there anything i can do to stop her from laying even more?
    Maybe somebody can give me some advice.

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks

I feel that most probably the reason she is keeping on laying eggs is that she is in a "nest" environment. Are you sure the last three in the box are fertile? If they are not fertile, I would suggest that you take the nest box down, and take away all of the eggs. She really needs to have a rest from egg laying, and I think that is the only way you can handle this situation. If you leave the last three in the box with her, I think she will just keep laying more eggs, and she needs to get her body back in shape from using all of that calcium. She needs a rest, that is for certain. Do you have any other hens that you could set up a nest box and put those three eggs in the nest with that hen? Of course, you run the risk of that hen laying eggs as well, but if it is a hen that has not laid eggs for some time, then maybe that hen could be a "surrogate" for setting on those three eggs.

It seems that is really a large amount of eggs for a budgie hen to be laying. Generally, from what I've read, 7-8 is max, and 4-5 is pretty normal.

Have you seen the pair mating? From your chart, it looks like there were 3 days between #10 and #11. That makes me wonder if you are sure you have a pair and not two hens.

I'm so happy for you that the babies are all grown now, and are thriving. Yes, considering all of the eggs that hen laid, the pair did a great job. It was just toward the end of the hatching they got rather bored about the whole deal and wanted those babies out of the nest, pronto!!

It really is so much fun to watch how they grow from day to day and all of their behaviors and actions. I'm sure you can already see that each one has its own personality, and all will behave differently. Do not be surprised if the older ones try to take control of all of them. I found that they are always somewhat bigger, and had more to eat and more attention than some of the younger ones, and on occasion, you will see one or more of the older ones show that determination to the younger chicks.

Enjoy them, Bianca, and do keep us posted on the other hen's eggs.
    Last edited by maxollie; 08-12-2015 at 07:10 PM.

Name
    Bianca
    Thanks

Yes I have seen the mate all the time. They haven't stopped yet and that should have stop after awhile. I think it will be best when I take the NestBox off because I think like you that she will keep laying them and that's worries me.

Oh yes you can see who is trying to be the boss with this little once. They are so much to watch and when they out of the cage to interact with them.

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks

My four babies were all over the place when they were out flying free. They are fast, and very hard to catch!

Yes, I do agree, I think if you take the nest box out, and let them rest for awhile, building back up her calcium, you would have a better chance of having healthy chicks as well. I found that once my pair hatched the babies and the babies fledged they were still mating all of the time. There really is no way to stop that. However, if she does lay eggs, don't put in a nest box. Boil the eggs so they won't hatch, and then just let her have them on the cage floor. Put them on a piece of paper towel in the corner. She may lay the eggs, and "might" set on them for awhile, but it is not like a nest environment where it is dark and they can just set there and nest with the eggs. You need to let her have any eggs she lays for the 21 day incubation time. Or, if she abandons them earlier, then discard them. Because if you just take them one by one, she will never stop laying. Birds are very unique in their mating and laying habits. They just are naturally programmed to lay eggs, and if for any reason, something interrupts the cycle, they will just lay more eggs. Like you, I do worry about this hen laying so many eggs at one time. I hope taking the box away will help to stop her egg laying for now.

Remove Ads