Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: budgies scared of everything!

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,268 Times in 1,267 Posts

Re: budgies scared of everything!

Anmah, they are beautiful and look very healthy. They are very young. The way you can tell there age is that new babies do not have a collar around their neck. By that I mean there are little black dots that will appear on each side of their neck as they get older. By the time they are about a year old, they will have their entire collar and look like they are wearing a black necklace. It looks to me like both of them are boys. The cere...that's the little colored spot right above their beak is blue. That signals a male. Now if that were was light blue or an ivory color, then it would be a girl.

And your neighbor is incorrect. Budgies and parakeets are definitely parrots. Parrots come in all different sizes and species. You picked two previous little budgies! I love them! I have been spelling your name wrong. I just noticed. Will get it right from now on.

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Anmah
    Thanks

Thankyou so much! I always knew chilli was a baby but i am also glad to hear that pedmo is also a baby. Now both of them will grow up together and will be my precious adult boys.
    I am glad i have somewhere to come for advice. :-)
    Everyone loves Pedmo and Chilli!

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Anmah
    Thanks

Hey guys! You wouldnot believe what happened today. I was doing my homework when i heard some kissing sounds. I looked up and saw pedmo making kissing sounds. We kiss-talked all evening untill my jaw started to hurt.
    However, the funny part is that i use the kiss sound as a warning sound and pedmo learned to do the same. I use it before making any loud noise to prevent startling them.
    So he was hanging on the bars of the cage when he called me. I moved my ear closer to where he was sitting. He kissed my ear and i thought that to encourage him i should move closer when suddenly a horribly unpleasent screech came. This seemed to make him happy and he continued the same routine all day long!
    On night we were startled awake by kissing and soon after that a loud screech came double startling us!

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Anmah
    Thanks

I wish i could have made a video but they hate the camera:-P
    It is quiet hilarious

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks

Do you cover them at night? Since it is probably warm in your part of the world now, just a thin sheet covering three sides (leaving the front side open), will settle them for nighttime, and hopefully they won't be screeching and playing during the night. Budgies are very intelligent, and they are fast learners. What Pedmo learned today, will stay with him forever. They do not forget, once they learn.

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Anmah
    Thanks

Wow, that is amazing! I would never want Pedmo to forget his first sound! Also his cage is covered at night. The AC is on at night so the room gets really cold so i cover it. It is just that me and my sister get up several times each night to study and maybe he figured out the times and screeches till he hears someone getting up and then goes back to sleep. My sister is actually really happy. Sometimes we both sleep through the alarm an he makes sure someone gets up.
    Also i have a giant family with about nine children, aunts and uncles etc so we really dont mind a little noise.
    Also guys i am finally going to try hand taming my budies and keep you updated on the progress i am making. and i got some cute photos that i will post really soon.

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Anmah
    Thanks

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Anmah
    Thanks

Sorry it is sideways. But you can always turn your screen sideways!

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Anmah
    Thanks

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Anmah
    Thanks

Update
    hey guys!
    today i was able to have pedmo to step up a stick. i think he got the step up trick pretty good.
    the longer he stayed the more treats he got. a time came when he waited for me to put him back to his perch.
    he also came closer to my hand that was holding the stick and nibbled on my fingertips for about 4 seconds , not a bite but nibbling. what does that mean. is it good or bad?
    however, chilli hates anything that comes close to him so we are not making so much progress. he is still a little timid.
    i was about to present them my hand but they started yawning so i called it a day.

Progress
    =
    =

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks

You are making "FANTASTIC" progress with them. You know, all parrots and birds KNOW when we really love them, and they will respond accordingly. I love the pics you posted, and you know, we will need to watch little Chilli as he/she grows up, because to me, his little cere (the light blue spot under the top of his beak), could very well indiciate that Chilli may be a girl. When he/she gets to be about 6-8 months old, we will reevaluate the looks of his face. You can post some pictures then, and we may be able to see that cere turning a light tan color or a ivory color. If that happens then Chilli is a girl. It is impossible to know for sure whether they are boys or girls until they get to be close to a year old. And I still feel that they are very young, and have not reached maturity as yet.

Thanks for the update. You are doing a GREAT job with them, and they are responding to you accordingly. Have a great day with your new birdy friends!

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Anmah
    Thanks

Guys, i think i need your help.
    Today half an hour ago we left for a wedding. The birds were alone sleeping. Halfway we got a call from the neighbours telling us they heard gunfire in our house. We called the police and found the house had been broken into. No valueables were taken. But i heard harsh screeching from my bedroom. Rushing in i found pedmo on the curtains screeching. He flew over to my head an fell silent. However when i removed the cage cover i found a bullet hole in it the door was busted and wouldnot close.
    However i found chilli on the floor. He was shuddering and chirping quietly and walking awkwardly. I tried to calm him but he had no effect so i picked him up and placed him in my lap.
    I petted his head and talked till his eyes closed. We tried to give him water but he shuddered at the sight of something coning close.
    He fell asleep and 5 min in sleep his heart beat like crazy. I could feel it on my palm. After 10 min i examine their bodies and find nothing worng. I gently wake them up and place them in cage. Tie a hanky on the door , sing to them till they go to sleep and watch for 5 min and cover the cage.
    The wall behind has a bullet in it!!
    I dont know what happened but do u think they will be ok? Specially chilli..

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks

They could be very frightened for a few days. Do not force them, but be very gentle with them, encouraging them to come to you as they were doing. You will need to sit by the cage and sing to them (as you were doing), and even eat some snack or food while sitting there so they will perhaps eat themselves. I would not be too concerned if they don't eat for a day or so, including drinking water, but I would encourage them to do so every few hours.

I'm so sorry this event has happened to you and your family and Pedmo and Chilli. I hope it will not happen again.

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Anmah
    Thanks

Thankyou Ellen. Pedmo is back to normal but its chilli i am worried about. He is doing nothing at all. Just sitting puffed up in a corner. If you say so i wont worry but he looks like in shock and it is hard to see him this way. I hope he gets back to normal.
    Also the culprits were caught in a school next to us.

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks

Is Chilli eating any food or drinking water? I'm concerned that he might have injured himself when he got so frightened. I think it would be a good idea to keep him close to you by making a little "birdy hospital bed". Get a clean cardboard box, and line it with some clean paper, and then keep him in that box. You can take a piece of warm flannel or a blanket, and warm it up in the microwave for a few seconds, let it cool abit, and then put that piece of flannell or blanket in the bottom of the box with chilli, so you can keep him warm. You may have to give him water with an eye dropper if he is not drinking, and you may have to feed him some liquid food if he is isn't eating the bread and/or seeds. Do you have a dried cereal like cream of wheat that you eat in your country? Make some of it and feed Chili some with a tiny spoon like a baby spoon. This will give him some nourishment until he feels better. Don't over feed him, and feed him very slow so that he won't get too much of the cereal at one time. You can tell by feeling his little crop (the area by his throat, that is the esophagus) if he has had enough to eat. Don't over feed him. Also, you can offer him the seeds with your hand like you were doing. it is sad that he was traumatized by this terrible act. I sure am happy they caught the people who did this. Keep us posted please.
    Last edited by maxollie; 06-29-2015 at 09:32 PM.

Remove Ads