Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: budgies scared of everything!

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Anmah
    Thanks

budgies scared of everything!

Three days ago i bought my two lovely budgies, both male, pied.
    The shy and curious one is Chillu and naughty one is pedmo. Both of them settled in quiet well.But the problem is that i could not find a breeder and bought them from a pet shop. The owner grabbed them and twisted their neck to prevent biting. So bcz of that they have a fear of hands and everything that is not in their cage. Both of them were born in a pet shop so not tame. How do i tame and befriend them without scaring them.

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,268 Times in 1,267 Posts

Re: budgies scared of everything!

It is sad that the owner was not kind to your budgies. It is very sad when humans do not treat animals and birds/fish, etc. with kindness. I'm sure your birds are more afraid than normal because of that treatment, however, all birds that come to our homes often times are very afraid, because they have never known us, or lived in a new home like we give to them. For some reason, all birds are afraid of hands, especially when we first bring them home. It is a natural instinct for them because Nature has made them to fear "predators", out in the wild, and they protect themselves by flying away from danger. Their beak is very sharp and also protects them from harm.

I would suggest you just sit by their cage and talk to them softly, do not force them to come out and play with you as yet, and just be sure they are eating and drinking. Time and patience are always on your side when it comes to training them and getting to know them. Further, if you eat a snack, or a meal, sitting by their cage while eating yourself, it will encourage them to eat also. And budgies love music, so play some soft music for them too! It is much like having a real baby. Take'baby steps" each day with them, and don't rush them into any activities, including touching them. Since you have only had them for 3 days, it will probably take about 10 days to 2 weeks for them to become much more trusting of you and your environment. I am just making an estimate of time, because it could be even sooner.

Here are some things for you to watch concerning their health: At first, their droppings will probably be a little loose due to being frightened on their way to your home, plus not eating and drinking much food or water. That is normal and should not be something to worry about right now, but if they are not eating or drinking at all after about 4-5 days, then you need to take an eye dropper and feed them some water. Handling them probably will frighten them and they will be hard to catch. The best approach is to take a small bath towel and catch one at a time and give them water. This should not be done unless they are not drinking at all. You do not want to frighten them and make mattesr worse for your bonding with them. I'm sharing this information with you because you say you are not close to any Vets in your area.

Budgies do like fresh veggies including lettuce, cilantro, raw carrots, etc. Do not feed parsley or members of the cabbage family veggies to them, including broccoli, because there is a phytochemical in those veggies that cause tumors of the esophagus in budgies. My budgie, Muffin loves lettuce and cilantro. If possible get leaf lettuce and not head lettuce, because head lettuce tends to make their droppings looser because it has more water content. You also can feed some whole wheat bread pieces cut small, or stick a small piece through the cage bars. Also, if you are feeding only seeds, and not seeds and pellets, I would suggest you get a bottle of birdy vitamins at the Pet Shop, and put a few drops in the seed cup about once a week. With the conditions you have described as to their prior care, I feel that giving them vitamins now will give them a boost to keep them healthy.

Budgies are special ltitle parrots who love their swings (if you can find one), a small mirror (they love mirrors), their food, and their toys, and most of all they love YOU!

Congratulations, and do keep us posted as to how things are going with them. I love the names you chose for them, and hopefully, one day you can post some pics of them for us. Good Luck!
    Last edited by maxollie; 06-26-2015 at 12:30 PM.

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Anmah
    Thanks

Thankyou for your reply. I am glad i joined the site because all of you are so eager to help. I will be sure to post their photo as soon as i figure out how :-p
    Just today i was fixing the food bowl in their cage when they flew over my hand and began to eat from the bowl. I am glad they trust me enough to eat from my hand. B-)Plus, The look on my mothers face was priceless. I am sure that there are no hand tamed or handfed budgies in my city.
    I am glad they trust me enough to eat from my hands. I love my babies <3

Name
    Clive
    Thanks

Hi welcome to the forum.
    I do not have much to add.
    Just take your time. They have to learn to trust you. And it sounds like they may of already figured you out.
    Birds are smart, make no mistake. Always be calm around them and keep movements to a slow pace.
    It is early days as yet, so to me it sounds like they may of been hand raised, As I doubt they would trust you this much already if they were parent raised.
    R.I.P my little ones.

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Anmah
    Thanks

Yeah, they do look hand raised. Today i was able to feed pedmo roti when my hand was in the cage. They just cant resist roti. They dont even touch the millet when they have roti. They even sleep on their roti bowl and dont let me change it until they see me bringing fresh roti . You all should also try making roti for your budgie.
    And does any one of your budgie stare at you all day long? Is it normal? Chilli stares at me all day long. At first it was cute, seeing the ultra quiet one staring. But now it is a little weird. He sometimes fall asleep staring at me!!!

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Anmah
    Thanks

And sorry for the name. Its actually chilli :-).

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks

Chilli is watching you because he already knows you as his "mom". He is getting more comfortable in his new home every day! Could you share with us what roti is, and how you make it?

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Anmah
    Thanks

Well you can search it on the internet for 'pakistani roti'. It is the staple food in pakistan and we eat one roti everyday.:-)
    It takes about two cups of atta(wheat flour), and 3/4 cup of water. You knead it like bread dough till all the water is evenly mixed and it is hard enough to hold its shape. Then you dust your hands with wheat flour and make a spherical ball out of it. Then you flatten it with a rolling pin and make a circle and place it on a preheated tawa (it is round and like a griddle or a pan with flat sides). Then you wait for about 13sec and turn it. Then you turn it every 5 sec till it you see a spot blackening. Then you remove it and serve it with a spicy salan(do not give salan to your birdies)
    I take a long piece and clip it with the cage for chilli and cut small pieces and place them in a bowl for pedmo.
    And sorry for the poor instructions. I am really bad with english. You can go on this webpage i found for you.
    http://pakistanicooking-aishah.blogs...droti.html?m=1
    She has really clear instructions though she burn a lot of her roti
    And also with pics.
    Also please tell me how it goes with your birdies if you make roti. I would love to spread tasty birdie food throughout the world.
    And i am glad to hear that chilli thinks i am his mom. I will try my best not to disappoint him.
    Plus, make sure you use unsalted flour. And goodluck!! :-D

Teenager
    Name
    Bill
    Thanks

Befriend them by always treating them well. Be consistent. They will get used to your way with them and open up and trust you. The same method workd with dogs who have had a lousy life before you got the dog.

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks

Your bread sounds yummy, Annah! I can understand why your budgies love it! You know, with a little time and patience BOTH Chilli and Pedmo are going to know you as their "mom". Budgies can live for many years if they are fed well, and are healthy. My first budgie's name was Mickey! He lived (9) years, and only ate seed, because when I was a little girl, years ago, we never fed him any other fresh foods or veggies, and he still lived that long. It is best now to feed them other foods as well as the seeds. One other suggestion I have for you is not to feed any gravel or grit to them. In your country, I don't know if the breeders recommend fine gravel or grit, but it is not good to give it to them because it tears up their stomach and intestine when they try to digest it, and they will die.

We have members and guests here that stop by and post from all over the world. I always like to hear about different parts of the world and how birds are raised and handled, so I am happy you have joined us. Personally, I think budgies are the sweetest little parrots in the whole wide world. They are sooooo intelligent. Did you know you can teach them to talk? Yes, that is true. My little budgie, Muffin, says "pretty bird", what cha doing", "are you doing OK"? And he also makes the sound of a clock ticking . . tic . toc . tic. toc. I taught him to tic toc so he could make that sound while my cockatiel, Sunny is dancing on his perch!

I hope to see you often, here Annah. Keep us posted on how things are going with your new babies.

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Anmah
    Thanks

Well thats a good thing. We cant get gravel and grit for them around here. I was really thinking about getting them some. Now i think there will never be any grit or gravel in my house. Thanks for the advice!!
    And yeah they are the sweetest and the loveliest pets i have ever owned
    And yeah i can see some + effect around here too. I just saw my neighbour who saw me handfeeding my budgies, pick up a piece of bread and try to feed his bugies. He has a humungus cage and about 100 budgies and all flew away. So i called him over and the first thing he said was" they are not even parrots. Where do they get the mind to trust you". So i told him how capable budgies are and he was suprised and would not believe me. So i told him to separate 50 of his budgies in another cage and emptied their bowls . Then placed a piece of bread in their bowl and watched with my face near the bowl. A brave budgie came over to try it . And i got closer while he ate and placed my hand on the bars. He didnt seem to mind my hands. So i placed a whole bread on my hands and about 12 budies came to eat. One nipped but it wasnot so painfull . I left saying " behave and dont treat your budgies like decorations."
    I hope he will have gotten good with his budies.. :-)

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Anmah
    Thanks

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Anmah
    Thanks

well everyone! here are my two babies. snowy one is chilli and green one is pedmo. we all are enjoying the good weather outside. i will try to get some front photoes so maybe someone can tell their age. they absolutely hate posing for the camera.
    and the green bowl is their precious roti bowl :-)

Name
    Clive
    Thanks

They look in great condition.
    R.I.P my little ones.

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Anmah
    Thanks

yeah, they are my happy healthy budgies!

Remove Ads