Tailfeathers
Contact | Tour
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thread: Taming a 7 month old masked lovebird

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

Taming a 7 month old masked lovebird

Just got a violet blue masked lovebird today. The breeder told me that she wasn't handfed but was handled often and was comfortable with humans. However, she hasn't been handled much for the past 2 months or so and as a result she's nervous around humans. I put my hand in the cage to get her and she's was flying all over the place. I finally caught her and held her close to me for about 15 mins talking softly to her. She was "feeling" my hand with her beak very softly. I put her back in the cage and have her some millet which she ate as I was holding the millet from the other end.
    How long you think will take for her to trust humans again?

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

Re: Taming a 7 month old masked lovebird

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,268 Times in 1,267 Posts

What a beautiful lovebird. I don't think it will be very long that she will warm back up to a new caregiver. I would take plenty of time to let her adjust to you. I would not force her out of her cage. Let her decide. Since she has been socialized, she will take that step soon. Sitting by her cage talking softly to her will calm her. All birds are afraid of hands, especially when they first come to a new home and caregiver. The millet is a great idea. Hold your hand a distance away from her and offer her the millet sprig that way.

Each day you will see improvement in her trust for you. It is like taking baby steps. You can play music for her and cable TV cartoons or the Disney channel as well.

When she gets more settled you can post more pics. We love pics. What is her name?

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

She's missing 2 nails .

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks

Do you mean they were missing when you brought her home? I'm not sure what might have caused that problem. I would watch her every day to see if they grow back. Maybe she was hatched without them, or could have injured her foot at one time and lost them.

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

She is a beautiful lovebird! Her colors are just stunning.

If she was already missing her toenails it might have been one of her siblings or even the parents that bit them and made them fall out or like Ellen said she was born without them. As long as it is not hurting her and she can still grip her perch she will be OK.
    Fly Free Boomer, we will forever love you.

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

Her grip is fine. No issues there. Trimmed them today.

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks

I think trimming them regularly will help the situation. Since she is so young, even if she were not to have them, she will be able to get around the cage and fly, etc. I think she may grow them in anyway. She is just a baby. It is amazing what little birds that have some special needs can do each and every day. We have had members post here of some miraculous and unbelievable courage and determination that disabled and special needs birds have and they live happily each day.

Name
    Helen
    Thanks

Sometimes they just grow late. I've known young birds who were missing nails and they just grow in

I wouldn/'t tame a bird by grabbing and holding them - it seems counter intuitive to me. Rather I would go with the bribe them with millet and reward good interaction. You're going to have years together as friends - try to be patient for these first few weeks

Make sure she's got plenty of varied perches in her cage, that should keep her nails down without the stress of having to trim them.

Thanks Lee for the adorable sig!

Name
    Mark
    Thanks

We let Tookie come to us on her own terms. Ecouraging the bird to step up on a bamboo rod worked well for us. It took time for her to get used to the bamboo but she eventually accepted it. From there we got her used to being out of the cage on the bamboo. Once she was ok with this we started to get her in a finger. It took a while and many bites but she caught on. Now she looks forward to stepping up on my finger and being out of the cage. She will also climb up my arm and shoulders and walk aroung a bit.

It seemed to be a matter of doing things in small steps letiing her get used to each situation and then moving on. I can pick her up now but the nibbles when I do that are certainly more painful, but not her stongest bites. I have also found that she seems to sense if I am tense. If I am tense she seems more tense and nibbles harder.

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks

I do believe they pick up on our emotions!!

Remove Ads